FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/practical-travel-safety-security-issues-686/)
-   -   EPIC to host TSA workshop ["Stripping of Freedom"] Jan. 6, 2011 in D.C. (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/practical-travel-safety-security-issues/1164350-epic-host-tsa-workshop-stripping-freedom-jan-6-2011-d-c.html)

divemistressofthedark Dec 26, 2010 11:47 am

EPIC to host TSA workshop ["Stripping of Freedom"] Jan. 6, 2011 in D.C.

http://epic.org/events/tsa/

"The Stripping of Freedom: A Careful Scan of TSA Procedures"

January 6, 2011

The Carnegie Institute for Science
1530 P St., NW
Washington, DC

Featured Speakers:

Ralph Nader
Rep. Jason Chaffetz (invited)
Rep. Rush Holt (invited)
Nadhira Al-Khalili
David Greenfield
Kate Hanni
Prof. Jeffrey Rosen
Bruce Schneier

This one-day public conference will be devoted to an assessment of the TSA airport security procedures and recommendations for reform. Experts in law, aviation security, and health safety, advocates for flyers rights, privacy protection, and religious freedom, as well as lawmakers and policy advisors will participate in the event. The event will also include a rich media display, with images from airport protests, YouTube videos, and campaign materials.
Would I love to see this. Not sure I can swing the time I'd need to drive up and back from BNA, though. Would be interested in reports from those attending.

FriendlySkies Dec 26, 2010 1:05 pm

If I could find a cheap ticket, I would consider going! Would DCA be the closest airport?

FliesWay2Much Dec 26, 2010 2:11 pm

Originally Posted by FriendlySkies (Post 15525673)
If I could find a cheap ticket, I would consider going! Would DCA be the closest airport?

Yes -- You could ride the Metro right from the airport and save the cost of a taxi or rental car. The location is about 3 blocks east of DuPont Circle (red Line) on P Street.

I wouldn't be surprised for one nanosecond that DHS or TSA "counterintelligence" people will infiltrate the meeting. The most likely source of TSA infiltrators would be SPOTNiks or FAMs. Nappy could also decide to send in a few plain-clothes Secret Service people. Presence of FBI counterintelligence ops people would require DHS to request support from DOJ. I wouldn't expect the request to be made, mostly out of pride and because Nappy couldn't possibly convince Holder that subversive activities would be taking place.

If you go, be very careful about exchanging business cards with anyone who purports to work for a company you've never heard of or anyone who asks a lot of strange questions. If you see someone picking up several copies of an attendee list or people who generally don't fit, try to snap a discrete picture. Conversely, if there are people going out of their way to avoid being in any sort of picture or video of the conference, this should send up flags.

This isn't tinfoil hat stuff in the least. I've seen it happen in other contexts over the years.

wb9tio Dec 26, 2010 7:37 pm

Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much (Post 15525964)
I wouldn't be surprised for one nanosecond that DHS or TSA "counterintelligence" people will infiltrate the meeting. The most likely source of TSA infiltrators would be SPOTNiks or FAMs. Nappy could also decide to send in a few plain-clothes Secret Service people. Presence of FBI counterintelligence ops people would require DHS to request support from DOJ. I wouldn't expect the request to be made, mostly out of pride and because Nappy couldn't possibly convince Holder that subversive activities would be taking place.

If you go, be very careful about exchanging business cards with anyone who purports to work for a company you've never heard of or anyone who asks a lot of strange questions. If you see someone picking up several copies of an attendee list or people who generally don't fit, try to snap a discrete picture. Conversely, if there are people going out of their way to avoid being in any sort of picture or video of the conference, this should send up flags.

This isn't tinfoil hat stuff in the least. I've seen it happen in other contexts over the years.

If your gut tells you something isn't right with some of the folks who are there such as what you described they need to be publicly outed! Their stench needs to be out in the open.

FriendlySkies Dec 26, 2010 7:56 pm

It's sad that we have to be on the look out for things like this. Hard to imagine what this country has turned into. :(

n4zhg Dec 26, 2010 7:59 pm

Originally Posted by wb9tio (Post 15527379)
If your gut tells you something isn't right with some of the folks who are there such as what you described they need to be publicly outed! Their stench needs to be out in the open.

There's a hacker convention every year in Vegas that has a "Spot The Fed" contest and the winner gets a T-shirt that says "I Spotted The Fed" while the Fed gets one that says "I Am The Fed".

Something like this should be suggested to EPIC.

wendyg Dec 26, 2010 8:17 pm

The EPIC folks have been to Defcon...

wg

FriendlySkies Dec 26, 2010 8:18 pm

Unfortunately, it looks as though I will not be able to go to the event. Tickets were North of $650 :eek:

polonius Dec 26, 2010 9:12 pm

Yep, me too.

divemistressofthedark Dec 26, 2010 9:41 pm

Tickets to the event? Or airline tickets were $650??

Hopefully if it's the former, EPIC will be throwing registration fees into the kitty to put toward further legal actions against TSA.

FriendlySkies Dec 26, 2010 9:42 pm

Originally Posted by divemistressofthedark (Post 15527882)
Tickets to the event? Or airline tickets were $650??

Hopefully if it's the former, EPIC will be throwing registration fees into the kitty to put toward further legal actions against TSA.

airline tix. :( I was really wanting to attend, and play "Spot the brown shirts" :D

divemistressofthedark Dec 26, 2010 9:47 pm

Where are you? Can you fly WN from MCI-BWI? (Rock chalk, by the way...I'm a grad, as is Mr. Dive...)

You can take a MARC train from BWI to Union Station in D.C. (where you can board the Metro) for around $15. It's not a bad trip, at all.

FriendlySkies Dec 26, 2010 9:54 pm

Originally Posted by divemistressofthedark (Post 15527900)
Where are you? Can you fly WN from MCI-BWI? (Rock chalk, by the way...I'm a grad, as is Mr. Dive...)

I'm in DEN for the next few weeks. Even looking at BWI, they are on the high side.. Hopefully one of the TS/S FTers in the local area can attend. I'll keep an eye out on the tickets.

Rock Chalk :) ^

lkkinetic Dec 27, 2010 3:56 pm

If it weren't my second day of teaching for winter quarter, I'd be there with bells on ... and my "Land of the free?" t-shirt with Lady Liberty's backscatter image.

I'll pass the word on to my DC friends, many of whom are opposed to the TSA's (and the Patriot Act's) intrusive policies.

Mimo Dec 27, 2010 4:05 pm

Thanks for pointing out the event. I hope EPIC considers streaming the event online for people who can't be there in person. Streaming would also make a statement--people would be able to "attend" the event without subjecting themselves to the TSA. I've sent an email to EPIC about this and suggest that others who agree send an email as well.