Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

EPIC to host TSA workshop ["Stripping of Freedom"] Jan. 6, 2011 in D.C.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

EPIC to host TSA workshop ["Stripping of Freedom"] Jan. 6, 2011 in D.C.

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2011, 11:52 am

Programs: The usual suspects
Thank you Bruce - he is citing multiple Pearls of Knowledge (common sense, that oxymoron) every minute.
Old Jan 6, 2011, 12:03 pm

Here's the notes from Bruce Schneier's keynote: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...onference.html

And here's the last panel: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...onference.html

For those who weren't able to watch live, EPIC will upload the video to their site in the next couple of days.

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Jan 8, 2011 at 11:18 pm Reason: merge consecutive posts
Old Jan 6, 2011, 4:52 pm

Originally Posted by wendyg
40 when I posted that, 50 or more later. It's varying through the day. But the online presence is big and they've got C-Span. So overall it's well-attended.
When a panelist asked if anyone was there from the TSA, no one raised his hand. The point the panelist was making was that TSA is given opportunities to listen and attend these types of events, but doesn't ever feel the need to.
Old Jan 6, 2011, 6:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ND Sol
When a panelist asked if anyone was there from the TSA, no one raised his hand. The point the panelist was making was that TSA is given opportunities to listen and attend these types of events, but doesn't ever feel the need to.
Nobody acknowledged they were from the TSA. I'd still like to see the attendee list. If somebody can send it to me, I will try my best to "out" any TSA or DHS spies in the room.
Old Jan 7, 2011, 12:22 pm

Press roundup

Here's what I've found so far ... anything else?

Scanning the TSA, by Wendy Grossman (aka wendyg, from earlier in this thread) on Net.Wars

The Stripping of Freedom: EPIC vs. DHS on TSA Body Scanners, by Ms. Smith in Network World

Key lawmaker wants to limit full-body screening at airports, by Aliya Sternstein on NextGov.

Critics say US airport scanners 'erode rights', by Karin Zeitvogel of AFP.

EPIC day in history by Valerie Woodall, on the BORDC's People's Blog for the Constitution.
Old Jan 7, 2011, 2:30 pm

Programs: AA Gold (former Platinum), SPG Gold, SWA, UA, National Car, TSA Disparager Silver
Originally Posted by jdp23
Here's what I've found so far ... anything else?

Scanning the TSA, by Wendy Grossman (aka wendyg, from earlier in this thread) on Net.Wars

The Stripping of Freedom: EPIC vs. DHS on TSA Body Scanners, by Ms. Smith in Network World

Key lawmaker wants to limit full-body screening at airports, by Aliya Sternstein on NextGov.

Critics say US airport scanners 'erode rights', by Karin Zeitvogel of AFP.

EPIC day in history by Valerie Woodall, on the BORDC's People's Blog for the Constitution.
It doesn't necessarily count as "press", but I posted on my blog yesterday while watching the live stream:

http://knowledgeproblem.com/2011/01/...nomic-liberty/

Jon, thanks for all of your hard work and awesome notes!
Old Jan 7, 2011, 7:29 pm

Programs: One Pass Gold, Delta Medallion , Avis, Hertz, Budget, most hotels
Federal News Radio

Federal News Radio had a brief discussion in Friday morning's broadcast about the EPIC conference. The discussion was reasonably well balanced and when the host asked the co-host whether TSA attended she responded that TSA said that they had not received a formal invitation.

I suspect they had a plant at the conference but avoided a public appearance for fear of legitimizing the event.

FNR is a private radio station not a Government sponsored station (I think it's a subsidiary of WTOP in DC). It focuses on issues relevant to local Federal employees and often reveals unreported information on activities within the various agencies.

More info -
http://www.federalnewsradio.com/
Old Jan 7, 2011, 7:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much
Nobody acknowledged they were from the TSA. I'd still like to see the attendee list. If somebody can send it to me, I will try my best to "out" any TSA or DHS spies in the room.
I'll make the same offer.
Old Jan 7, 2011, 9:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
How much you wanna bet TSA has already put the names of those who attended on a list?
Old Jan 10, 2011, 4:35 pm

CSPAN-2 will be airing their coverage starting tonight at 8:30 p.m.
Old Jan 10, 2011, 10:36 pm

Programs: Instrument rated private pilot
Originally Posted by jdp23
CSPAN-2 will be airing their coverage starting tonight at 8:30 p.m.
I’m watching this now. Thanks for the notice!
Old Jan 10, 2011, 11:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Gold, WN RR
Damn. Didn't see this till just now.

Did anyone tape it?
Old Jan 12, 2011, 10:21 am

Programs: AA Gold (former Platinum), SPG Gold, SWA, UA, National Car, TSA Disparager Silver
Hey folks,

The videos from the event are up now on the C-Span video site:

http://www.c-spanvideo.org/videoLibr....php?id=189169

All were outstanding, but I'd like to give a special shout-out about Bruce Schneier's keynote address, which I think should be required reading for all members of Congress and their staff on this issue:

http://www.c-spanvideo.org/program/Schne
Old Jan 12, 2011, 10:39 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by lkkinetic
Hey folks,

The videos from the event are up now on the C-Span video site:

http://www.c-spanvideo.org/videoLibr....php?id=189169

All were outstanding, but I'd like to give a special shout-out about Bruce Schneier's keynote address, which I think should be required reading for all members of Congress and their staff on this issue:

http://www.c-spanvideo.org/program/Schne
Is there a transcription of Schneier's address that we could send to our congresspeople?
Old Jan 12, 2011, 10:45 am

Originally Posted by doober
Is there a transcription of Schneier's address that we could send to our congresspeople?
I was thinking that I might create such a transcription tonight (fast fingers!); will let you all know if I do.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.