Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

EPIC to host TSA workshop ["Stripping of Freedom"] Jan. 6, 2011 in D.C.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

EPIC to host TSA workshop ["Stripping of Freedom"] Jan. 6, 2011 in D.C.

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2011, 8:18 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Hilton Diamond
My initial impressions:

1. I'm very intrigued about the points made by Ed Luttwak that not only are the scanners unnecessary, but actually may result in even LESS security because the clerks are distracted by the machines that much of the time are not even working.

2. The term "dragnet enforcement" used by Rush Holt is spot on. We now live in a country where every person is considered to be a suspect first. Mr. Holt notes that police in every municipality know that there are criminals amongst them. However, we don't subject our citizens to dragnet enforcement because we are scared that ONE of them may be a criminal.
Old Jan 6, 2011, 8:25 am

Agreed with TXagogo's points. Also I thought Chip Pitts (who used to run Amnesty International USA) made some great points about the moral issues underlying this. "Even if you don't mind having your genitals groped and naked pictures taken, do you really want to live in a country where your parents, children, wife, etc. is subject to this?"

Luttwack's presentation was sizzling, talking about how the TSA agents go to Israel on "fact-finding" missions and then ignore and distort whatever they're told. I also thought it was striking that the TSA was the only organization that didn't respond to IATA's vision document.
Old Jan 6, 2011, 8:30 am

Programs: The usual suspects
Agree about LESS security because of distraction of NoS.

I always opt out, and almost every time I opt out and get the groping, there is something "contraband" in my carry-on that is totally missed. I know some have said "If you get the grope, you also get the thorough hand search of your bag."

I have not had that experience at all - it's been one or the other. If the blue-shirt perv is busy with genitalia, she doesn't notice the full bottle of water or the box cutter.

Are we all getting the gaps in the stream at the same time? Mine is out right now.
Old Jan 6, 2011, 8:32 am

I agree that Ed Luttwak has made some excellent points. He's pointing out the larger issues, like the fact that the TSOs' job is basically to run a machine, not use their brains. The DHS thinks they can solve a complex problem by applying simplistic consumer behavior: let's buy a gizmo!
Old Jan 6, 2011, 8:34 am

Wow that was an awesome panel.

Before it seemed like we were getting the breaks at the same time, now I'm not so sure.

Also is anybody else unable to get to the video? My friend just gets a blank screen.

I'm really looking forward to this next panel -- Michael Roberts, Kate Hanni, Jim Babb, and Pablo Molina (a professor of ethics and technology)

Last edited by jdp23; Jan 6, 2011 at 9:50 am
Old Jan 6, 2011, 8:43 am

Programs: US Gold
For those who can't follow the stream the Twitter feed is at

http://twitter.com/#search?q=%23scantsa

I think there'll be some stuff on C-Span.

wg
Old Jan 6, 2011, 9:06 am

Programs: DL DM/1MM, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Yaay! Shout out for Flyertalk!
Old Jan 6, 2011, 9:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Gold, WN RR
I think I'll tape C-Span all day (which right now is showing Congress...the schedule in Tivo guide says "TBD", dammit). Someone directly in front is taping this but I can't see who it is.

I have a previously planned meeting and can't sit glued to this - which of course is what I would prefer to do!

If I get anything on C-Span I'll dump an MP4 on Gigasize or similar and link it here.

Aw, this is awesome!! SO encouraging to see. I'm loving James Babb.
Old Jan 6, 2011, 9:22 am

Programs: AA Gold (former Platinum), SPG Gold, SWA, UA, National Car, TSA Disparager Silver
Originally Posted by jdp23
Agreed with TXagogo's points. Also I thought Chip Pitts (who used to run Amnesty International USA) made some great points about the moral issues underlying this. "Even if you don't mind having your genitals groped and naked pictures taken, do you really want to live in a country where your parents, children, wife, etc. is subject to this?"

Luttwack's presentation was sizzling, talking about how the TSA agents go to Israel on "fact-finding" missions and then ignore and distort whatever they're told. I also thought it was striking that the TSA was the only organization that didn't respond to IATA's vision document.
Agreed. I loved how Luttwack later said "I despise this shambolic, amateur operation"!

Both panels are raising all of the relevant points clearly and cogently. Well done.
Old Jan 6, 2011, 9:24 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Hilton Diamond
James Babb is fantastic. I am adding www.wewontfly.com to my favorites list on my laptop and have already "liked" it on facebook.
Old Jan 6, 2011, 9:32 am
Original Poster

So's our own SpatialD.

This is even better than I had dared to hope. Wish they'd show the crowd, though. Any estimates on how many people were able to make it?

{Edit: Sounds like there's a lot of crowd noise...}

(Unfortunately all three C-Span channels are still showing programming regarding the Republican takeover of Congress. Apparently they're reading the Constitution on the House floor. Hope they're taking special note of Amendment 4.)
Old Jan 6, 2011, 9:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by divemistressofthedark
So's our own SpatialD.

This is even better than I had dared to hope. Wish they'd show the crowd, though. Any estimates on how many people were able to make it?
I was just going to ask the same question. I've been in & out all morning and have to spend all afternoon inside a secure area, so there's no opportunity to make it down there this afternoon.

Did I read that someone said that this is or will be on C-SPAN?
Old Jan 6, 2011, 9:38 am
Original Poster

That was indeed mentioned, FW2M. I'm flipping from plain flavored C-Span to C-Span 2 and 3...I realize this conference was planned to coincide with the seating of the new Congress but unfortunately that's all TV is covering. Right now C-Span has the "ceremonial swearing in" of new House members...C-Span 2 is attempts to overturn the 2010 health care law, etc.

Someone is definitely taping this from the front row, though. Maybe they'll re-run it in the middle of the night. I'm getting only TBD as far as C-Span schedules however.
Old Jan 6, 2011, 9:39 am

Wow, what a great panel. I posted my notes at http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...nse-panel.html

I'll try to find out how many people are there in person.
Old Jan 6, 2011, 9:41 am

Programs: US Gold
In answer to the question posted on Twitter, there are probably about 40 people here. But some are coming and going during the day (speakers, eg, with busy schedules).

wg

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.