Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other European Airlines
Reload this Page >

Norwegian Air stability through summer?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Norwegian Air stability through summer?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2019, 7:27 am

Originally Posted by iahphx
Bag weighing is truly evil -- who has a luggage scale.
You've got to be having a laugh. Even when flying premium classes they still get used.

Originally Posted by farci
Digital luggage scales travel T shape 50KG Digital Luggage suitcase travel bag Hanging Weighing Scale with strap UK stock https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00KY02J..._RQcVCb46C1Z0H
Currently these are only a fifth of the price but only up to 40kg. Still, that's more than any bag I'll be checking in.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Easy-...UAAOSwU~Vcuv7F
Old Apr 21, 2019, 11:33 am

Programs: SPG, HH, IHG, BA, DL
Costco bathroom scale

I use a digital bathroom scale where it won't accurately weigh the bag by itself - especially light carry ons under 10kG.
So I weigh myself and then step off, pick up the item, weigh again.
Subtract first number from second number = weight of carry on / check in.

Has been very accurate to within 1kG when I arrive at the airport.
oliver2002 likes this.
Old Apr 21, 2019, 3:08 pm

Programs: TrueBlue
That's one reason I have my Scottevest 'travel jacket'. 22 pockets (some with access to the entire liner) and I can store anything in it. Since it's my jacket, they can't hit me for luggage fees.
Old Apr 21, 2019, 10:18 pm

How does Norwegian weigh bags in the US? Is the limit stated (and enforced) in lbs or kg?
With legacies it's 50lbs/23kg, with 23kg being 50.7lbs so you get a bit extra allowance departing EU. Also, I've normally been told by check in agents that "23.x" is okay, as long as the first number is 23. I think psychologically 51 vs 50 looks worse than 23.8 or 23.9 vs 23, with same integer in the latter case.

Last edited by klanfa; Apr 22, 2019 at 8:52 am
Old Apr 22, 2019, 7:45 am

Programs: SPG, HH, IHG, BA, DL
Originally Posted by klanfa
How does Norwegian weight bags in the US? Is the limit stated (and enforced) in lbs or kg?
With legacies it's 50lbs/23kg, with 23kg being 50.7lbs so you get a bit extra allowance departing EU. Also, I've normally been told by check in agents that "23.x" is okay, as long as the first number is 23. I think psychologically 51 vs 50 looks worse than 23.8 or 23.9 vs 23, with same integer in the latter case.
On the US side, Norwegian will weigh your bags at the check in counter.

You will need to stop by the kiosk and check in at the airport and then go to the bag drop counter.

If you are traveling with more than one, they will group weigh the bags - all carry ons weighed together must be no more than 10kg (22lbs) per person - all check in luggage are weighed together and must no more than 20kg (44lbs).

We traveled as a group of 4 on Low Fare tix and got to group weigh the check in and everything weighed in at 70lbs which was below the max (88 lbs).
We paid for 2 check in luggage ($40 each) and both weighed in at 60lbs.

But upon returning, the Europe side is totally different - they do not group weigh - they weigh each item singly....
Old Apr 22, 2019, 4:38 pm

Programs: UA 2P, AS, WN
In Rome this month, they weighed our carry-ons on a per-person basis toward the 10kg limit. To his credit the agent let my son slide at about 11kg, after one of his case’s wheels came off in the train station on the way to the airport! (Thus saving us, and him, from the process of transferring 1 kg out of the damaged roll-aboard to avoid checking it.)
Old Apr 24, 2019, 4:00 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
There's instability in the air at Norwegian with female flight attendants being required to wear heels that are at least 2cm high. Norwegian defends its right to such well-heeled instability even as it comes under attack from various political quarters.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 12:24 am

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
Q1 net loss of 1.489 billion NOK.

From the Q1 report:
Equity at the end of the first quarter was NOK 3,092 million compared to NOK 1,704 million at the end of last year. Equity increased due to the rights issue raising a net equity increase of NOK 2,927 million, offset by a net loss year to date of NOK 1,489 million and exchange rate losses from subsidiaries of NOK 54 million. Other effects amounted to NOK 3 million.
(Translation: Norwegian burned through more than half of their 3billion NOK capital raise from stock dilution)

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/norwe...052919841.html

Last edited by iflyjetz; Apr 25, 2019 at 1:23 am
Old Apr 25, 2019, 3:11 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by iflyjetz
Q1 net loss of 1.489 billion NOK.

From the Q1 report:
Equity at the end of the first quarter was NOK 3,092 million compared to NOK 1,704 million at the end of last year. Equity increased due to the rights issue raising a net equity increase of NOK 2,927 million, offset by a net loss year to date of NOK 1,489 million and exchange rate losses from subsidiaries of NOK 54 million. Other effects amounted to NOK 3 million.
(Translation: Norwegian burned through more than half of their 3billion NOK capital raise from stock dilution)

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/norwe...052919841.html
Translation: DY will probably be flying me quite a lot between now and August 2019.

DY will probably be cutting back on their route network sooner than they claim, but DY is nowhere as close to closing shop yet as 9W was four months ago.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 3:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nothing, nowhere!
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Translation: DY will probably be flying me quite a lot between now and August 2019.

DY will probably be cutting back on their route network sooner than they claim, but DY is nowhere as close to closing shop yet as 9W was four months ago.
It would be interesting to know what DYs problem is. Are they not charging enough for tickets or is it the network they're running. I mean, it's not a traditional hub and spoke like BA or which, we know makes money. They seem to fly random routes.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 4:08 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by USA_flyer
It would be interesting to know what DYs problem is. Are they not charging enough for tickets or is it the network they're running. I mean, it's not a traditional hub and spoke like BA or which, we know makes money. They seem to fly random routes.
I think it's that they have a more complex network than they realized and that they don't have the pricing power to cover their cost structure as much as they need to avoid bleeding money. They seemed to have been on steroids to "just do it" and see what works without getting to the point of cutting out fast enough when things don't work.

DY gambled a lot with its expansion, but that's not new with DY. But the situation with DY is a bit like this: when you're a small gambler, getting the means to cover loses in anticipation of the gamble working out later is rather easy compared to when you're a big gambler and need way bigger means to cover loses while hoping for the gambling to pay off.

With oil prices set to be rather bad for airlines -- due to the anti-Iranian moves by a hostile coalition led by the traditional-yet-strange bedfellows of the US and Saudi Arabia -- DY is going to be more on the edge than it would have otherwise been.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 4:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nothing, nowhere!
I think it's that they have a more complex network than they realized and that they don't have the pricing power to cover their cost structure as much as they need to avoid bleeding money. They seemed to have been on steroids to "just do it" and see what works without getting to the point of cutting out fast enough when things don't work.

DY gambled a lot with its expansion, but that's not new with DY. But the situation with DY is a bit like this: when you're a small gambler, getting the means to cover loses in anticipation of the gamble working out later is rather easy compared to when you're a big gambler and need way bigger means to cover loses while hoping for the gambling to pay off.

With oil prices set to be rather bad for airlines -- due to the anti-Iranian moves by a hostile coalition led by the traditional-yet-strange bedfellows of the US and Saudi Arabia -- DY is going to be more on the edge than it would have otherwise been.
I think you're right about their routes. It must also be harder to allocate staff and fix problems when you don't have a bank of aircraft and staff at a single location that you can call on. You're reliant on a smaller local pool of staff.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 4:29 am

Originally Posted by HBAlameda
In Rome this month, they weighed our carry-ons on a per-person basis toward the 10kg limit. To his credit the agent let my son slide at about 11kg, after one of his case’s wheels came off in the train station on the way to the airport! (Thus saving us, and him, from the process of transferring 1 kg out of the damaged roll-aboard to avoid checking it.)
At Belgrade a few years ago the check-in counter's weighing scale had an error term of +/- 1kg (yes, 1kg and not 0.1kg), so I succcessfully argued that my 8.9kg bag was technically still within the limits of the airline's then-8.0kg limit per the scale. Something to check in case it helps your case (:
Old Apr 25, 2019, 9:30 am

Interesting...I was monitoring flights between PVD-SNN. Earlier this week they were still selling tickets starting in august (even though they were the Flex fares). Today-nothing until mid-September and still only Flex fares. Looks like they are cutting back on flights a bit. Supposedly would have been flown by the 737MAX, so that probably plays into it.

Last edited by jbong; Apr 25, 2019 at 9:34 am Reason: edit
Old Apr 25, 2019, 10:22 am

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star

You must insight into changes in their bond covenants. I haven’t seen any changes published. Please post the covenant changes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.