Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other European Airlines
Reload this Page >

Norwegian Air stability through summer?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Norwegian Air stability through summer?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2019, 12:27 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
That huge order book by Norwegian is biting them in the hind quarters. They just postponed Airbus deliveries. https://www.reuters.com/article/us-n...-idUSKCN1RM28J

That's another sign of huge financial distress and I'm going to speculate that Norwegian is having a very hard time selling their used aircraft for the price they want. (Norwegian previously stated that most of their fleet is actively 'for sale').
Old Apr 10, 2019, 8:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by iflyjetz
That huge order book by Norwegian is biting them in the hind quarters. They just postponed Airbus deliveries. https://www.reuters.com/article/us-n...-idUSKCN1RM28J

That's another sign of huge financial distress and I'm going to speculate that Norwegian is having a very hard time selling their used aircraft for the price they want. (Norwegian previously stated that most of their fleet is actively 'for sale').
These financial machinations will prolong their life, but they're still going to go broke unless they figure out a way to stop losing lots of money over the Atlantic. Or stop flying it. Otherwise, they're doomed.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 2:48 pm

Programs: SPG, HH, IHG, BA, DL
I just flew with them last week and have to say they must be doing well because they were 100% full on both legs (LAX-MAD and CDG-LAX).
Old Apr 11, 2019, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
That appears to never be a true indication of whether an airline is doing well or not. Good loads give a false impression, apparently.
GFrye likes this.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 8:11 am

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
Originally Posted by 4sallypat
I just flew with them last week and have to say they must be doing well because they were 100% full on both legs (LAX-MAD and CDG-LAX).
I don't think I've seen Norwegian's load factors below 82ish percent ever. Mid-80s load factors are normal for Norwegian.

Your observation merely confirms my assertion that they have mispriced their product and are selling it at below cost. Like you, everyone else on those flights paid less than the full cost to Norwegian of operating that flight. You and everyone else on those flights were subsidized by Norwegian investor money. That investor money is rapidly drying up. Norwegian management has chosen to not take the one step they must in order for the company to survive - raise fares to a level where the company is at least breakeven.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 8:58 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
I find all the complaining and bad-mouthing about Norwegian amusing, especially given how little criticism and bad-mouthing has come from some quarters when it comes to a 9W which is way closer to liquidation than DY. Could it be because some parties have a financial interest in seeing the decimation of competition that hits the US3 airline industry cartel kingpins?
James91 likes this.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 9:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Just about anyone can fill an airplane if they're willing to set ticket prices low enough. For example, $1 would usually work pretty well.
GFrye likes this.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 9:46 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Just about anyone can fill an airplane if they're willing to set ticket prices low enough. For example, $1 would usually work pretty well.
WW's load factor was impressive. Their finances? Not so much.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 7:57 pm

How many paid extra for luggage, meals, seating or flexibility? I think that's what could make a difference to their finances.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 7:57 pm

Programs: United 1K 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by GUWonder
I find all the complaining and bad-mouthing about Norwegian amusing, especially given how little criticism and bad-mouthing has come from some quarters when it comes to a 9W which is way closer to liquidation than DY. Could it be because some parties have a financial interest in seeing the decimation of competition that hits the US3 airline industry cartel kingpins?

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/indi...ingfisher.html
Old Apr 12, 2019, 10:30 pm

Originally Posted by usbusinesstraveller
Amazing what can be found when one looks in the proper subforum.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 10:45 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by usbusinesstraveller
Which is in part why I said what I said. And I’ve been posting in that thread, at least 17 or 18 times, and way more than that in that forum. Which is also why I said what I’ve said.

The fans and beneficiaries of one or more of the US3 airline industry cartel kingpins haven’t felt their or their favorite US firm(s)’s pocketbooks threatened by the likes of South Asian carriers in the way they’ve felt by high value TATL-flying GCC3 carriers and TATL-flying low cost European carriers, and it shows in the whining and bashing and graveyard dancing that goes on in forums like FT and elsewhere.
James91 likes this.

Last edited by GUWonder; Apr 13, 2019 at 10:53 am
Old Apr 13, 2019, 6:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The US airlines "and their fans" aren't threatened by Norwegian. Norwegian is a for-profit company. Actually, it's a for-loss company. The market will take care of them. They will run out of money and go out of business. Rather soon, I'm afraid. Honestly, what's so interesting about Norwegian is how many people were cheering them on, and yet how incompetent and foolhardy their management team was/is.

The US airlines and their fans are far more concerned by the Mideast airlines. That's WAY more problematic for them. Norwegian has to pay their bills. The Middle Eastern airlines don't. As long as the sheikhs write blank checks (for billions every year), the Middle Eastern airlines can continue to lose money forever. It is impossible for a for-profit company to compete against a company that can afford to lose billions every year. Which is why there are basically no US airlines flying to the Middle East (except Israel, where those airlines don't fly). It also dramatically curtails US airline service to the Indian subcontinent, where the Middle East is a good hub location. Eventually even sheikhs can't lose billions, so reform does occur (and has already started to occur). But that situation is far more troublesome for USA airlines that a bad business plan by an eccentric Norwegian.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 12:25 am
Suspended

Like moths to a flame, the moths attack both but tend to aim for the bigger lights mores but still go after both.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 9:59 am

GUWonder, you appear to have Jet Airways covered all by yourself

The predicted end is near.

I will miss 9W but only because of nostalgia for what it used to be.

Why aren't you posting about Hong Kong Airlines, which is also on the brink of financial failure? Is t because you (insert silly logic here)?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.