Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 16, 2016, 7:33 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: elitetraveler
JetSmarter is a membership program that allows members to fly on empty legs of private jets (JetDeals) and seats on scheduled private jet shuttles (JetShuttle).
Print Wikipost

JetSmarter - discussion and experiences

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2017, 7:59 am

Programs: DL, UA
Originally Posted by troyb
Just had my first Jetdeal cancelled (was previously 3/3), after it had been confirmed about 12 hours in advance. Unfortunately, I had planned on using the Jetdeal for my outbound flight and a Jetshuttle for my return.

Despite cancelling the Jetdeal after confirming it, Jetsmarter won't waive the $1000 fee to cancel my Jetshuttle flight. I get that this is technically within the terms and conditions, but it's pretty customer unfriendly.

I had previously been really impressed with my entire Jetsmarter experience - legitimately had no complaints whatsoever. This seemingly small thing is pretty frustrating, and I just don't get the point (other than to try to take a few bucks out of my pocket).
The long held wisdom by members is whatever you're booking at the assumption your jet deal will get you to the destination, must be able to be canceled without penalty, or you're setting yourself up for failure. Whether a hotel room night or return flight on commercial or tickets to a show etc.... You've learned the hard way.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 9:12 am

Programs: QF LTG
Just had my first Jetdeal cancelled (was previously 3/3), after it had been confirmed about 12 hours in advance. Unfortunately, I had planned on using the Jetdeal for my outbound flight and a Jetshuttle for my return.

Despite cancelling the Jetdeal after confirming it, Jetsmarter won't waive the $1000 fee to cancel my Jetshuttle flight. I get that this is technically within the terms and conditions, but it's pretty customer unfriendly.

I had previously been really impressed with my entire Jetsmarter experience - legitimately had no complaints whatsoever. This seemingly small thing is pretty frustrating, and I just don't get the point (other than to try to take a few bucks out of my pocket).
I always make sure I reach out to a rep before booking anything like that. I have positioned on a jetshuttle to a jetdeal and made sure I have in writing that if the deal is canceled I can cancel the shuttle without fee and vice versa.

Last edited by PbodyPhoto; Jul 12, 2017 at 9:18 am
Old Jul 12, 2017, 10:15 am
Suspended

Programs: AMEX Centurion, Inspirato, jetmembership.com, Mandarin Oriental, Hertz Gold Plus

This seems completely unethical. But typical Jetsmarter. This is ACTUAL revenue though!
Old Jul 12, 2017, 10:28 am

Programs: Jeff is Deaf
Jetshuttle and jetdeals seem to operate as two separate entities. Makes sense to charge 1000 as these are regular flights and your taking the spot of another member.

Last minute mileage ticket?
Old Jul 12, 2017, 10:42 am
Suspended

Programs: AMEX Centurion, Inspirato, jetmembership.com, Mandarin Oriental, Hertz Gold Plus
Originally Posted by YoungSoloTraveler
Jetshuttle and jetdeals seem to operate as two separate entities. Makes sense to charge 1000 as these are regular flights and your taking the spot of another member.

The fact is, the ONLY reason this member cancelled their return trip is because THE SAME COMPANY cancelled the first leg of their trip. This should be treated as a connecting flight on the same airline. 1st leg cancelled by airline, 2nd leg fully refunded.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 11:01 am

Originally Posted by YoungSoloTraveler

Well, except when you don't take the space of another member because the flight either wasn't full, or they replace you. In either event, they still charge you $1,000, or $2,000, or the extra seat cost, whichever is more outrageous.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 11:23 am

Programs: Jeff is Deaf
Originally Posted by WhyPrivate
The fact is, the ONLY reason this member cancelled their return trip is because THE SAME COMPANY cancelled the first leg of their trip. This should be treated as a connecting flight on the same airline. 1st leg cancelled by airline, 2nd leg fully refunded.
Not really. They aren't running anything. Empty legs are xojet, etc shuttle flights done via paid 3rd party charter service

Not to mention empty legs are at the whim of the operator. I'd never book anything until in the air flying for a jetdeal
Old Jul 12, 2017, 11:40 am

Programs: QF LTG
Well to be exact the operator canceled his empty leg. Jetsmarter charters the shuttles so there is accountability there, the empties are subject to change
Old Jul 12, 2017, 1:50 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by PbodyPhoto
Well to be exact the operator canceled his empty leg. Jetsmarter charters the shuttles so there is accountability there, the empties are subject to change
My apologies, I confused "Jet Deal" with "Jet Shuttle". Regardless of that, the only reason this particular member had to cancel his return is because a product that this company offers was unreliable.

Member is still due their refund.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 2:00 pm

Programs: DL, UA
My apologies, I confused "Jet Deal" with "Jet Shuttle". Regardless of that, the only reason this particular member had to cancel his return is because a product that this company offers was unreliable.

Member is still due their refund.
such nonsense. based on what? You feel bad for member? Member feels bad? the company offered flights, sure. the terms for each flight were clear to the member. The member accepted the terms. The first flight, an empty leg, got canceled which is always a risk. it's a plane that is repositioning that the operator opens up to members, but if they find someone to pay for it, they cancel and go get more money. And this is part of the T&C that the member has to agree to if they want to confirm their spot.

The next flight was a shuttle, completely unrelated. If Jetsmarter concierge booked a rental car, and the member drove it and ran out of gas, a maintenance issue occurs, and what - somehow Jetsmarter should refund the cancellation fee for the missed Jet Shuttle flight, too? Like I said - the common wisdom is NOT to book anything that you can't get out of until your outbound Jetdeal is airborne. Otherwise it's buyer beware.

And, this member learned the hard way. You saying that Jetsmarter is at fault, or unethical or anything of the sort is pointing the finger, in error, forgetting who the real responsible party is.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 2:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Virtuoso Travel Agent, Commercial Pilot
Originally Posted by cakiwi
And, this member learned the hard way. You saying that Jetsmarter is at fault, or unethical or anything of the sort is pointing the finger, in error, forgetting who the real responsible party is.
It's possible that what JetSmarter is doing is unethical, and illegal. The JetDeals are Public Charters operated under 14 CFR Part 380. Under Part 380, it is illegal to cancel a public charter within 10 days of departure unless it is physically impossible to operate the flight:
Originally Posted by https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/14/380.12
§ 380.12 Cancellation by charter operator and notice to participants.
(a) The charter operator may not cancel a charter for any reason (including insufficient participation), except for circumstances that make it physically impossible to perform the charter trip, less than 10 days before the scheduled date of departure of the outbound trip.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 2:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Virtuoso Travel Agent, Commercial Pilot
Oh, and I forgot to mention that it's illegal for JetSmarter to charge cancellation fees (greater than $25) for JetShuttles if JetSmarter is able to find a replacement passenger:

§ 380.15 Substitution for charter participants.
Subsititues may be arranged for charter participants at any time preceding departure. Participants who provide the charter operator or its sales agent with a substitute participant, or who are substituted for by a participant found by the operator, shall receive a refund of all moneys paid to the operator, except that the operator may reserve the right to retain an administrative fee not to exceed $25 for effecting the substitution.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 2:23 pm

Originally Posted by cakiwi
such nonsense. based on what? You feel bad for member? Member feels bad? the company offered flights, sure. the terms for each flight were clear to the member. The member accepted the terms. The first flight, an empty leg, got canceled which is always a risk. it's a plane that is repositioning that the operator opens up to members, but if they find someone to pay for it, they cancel and go get more money. And this is part of the T&C that the member has to agree to if they want to confirm their spot.

The next flight was a shuttle, completely unrelated. If Jetsmarter concierge booked a rental car, and the member drove it and ran out of gas, a maintenance issue occurs, and what - somehow Jetsmarter should refund the cancellation fee for the missed Jet Shuttle flight, too? Like I said - the common wisdom is NOT to book anything that you can't get out of until your outbound Jetdeal is airborne. Otherwise it's buyer beware.

As usual, you don't know what you're talking about from a legal standpoint. You seem to think "T&C" control in every instance, but for hundreds of years of common law, as well as certain statutory law such as that cited above, penalties like JetSmarter charges have been held to be invalid. Imagine if American Airlines added to their T&C that if you no-show, you have to pay a $5,000 penalty. So you buy a deeply-discounted $59 ticket from SF to LA, and don't show up. You owe $5 grand, right? Wrong, donkey.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 2:49 pm

Programs: BA Gold Club, Chase, JetSmarter, NCL
Originally Posted by Boodb772
are you still limited to spend a max of 3,000 USD of that reimbursed credit per trip? For Smart membership i mean
i spoke to my rep yesterday regarding this when the shared charter was announced- i had a few more questions about the new feature...

the video says available to smart and sophisticated only, but the rep indicated that only those tiers could initiate the charter and that SIMPLE members could access the remaining seats through the jet deals (my friend recently got the 3 month trial so she is able to pay for a seat on a shared charter but not create one)

i was told that i can use 3,000 USD max in flight credit for any booking (smart member)
Old Jul 12, 2017, 2:59 pm

Originally Posted by travelnat95
i spoke to my rep yesterday regarding this when the shared charter was announced- i had a few more questions about the new feature...

the video says available to smart and sophisticated only, but the rep indicated that only those tiers could initiate the charter and that SIMPLE members could access the remaining seats through the jet deals (my friend recently got the 3 month trial so she is able to pay for a seat on a shared charter but not create one)

i was told that i can use 3,000 USD max in flight credit for any booking (smart member)
Simple (or anyone) can access for free through jet deals, rather than paying? That doesn't make any sense. So I could initiate a shared charter, have a couple of my Simple membership friends join me and book up several more seats for free and get reimbursed? For some reason, I'm skeptical.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.