Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 16, 2016, 7:33 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: elitetraveler
JetSmarter is a membership program that allows members to fly on empty legs of private jets (JetDeals) and seats on scheduled private jet shuttles (JetShuttle).
Print Wikipost

JetSmarter - discussion and experiences

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2016, 1:08 pm

Got an email today that says:
"As a member, you know the JetSmarter experience better than anyone, so there’s something I’d like to know: What are we doing well, and where can
 we improve?

Your feedback means a great deal to me. That’s why I’ve decided to take a week and travel the country, so I can hear from members like you directly.

I’ll be in touch soon about where I’ll be and when, but meanwhile, thank you for your support as we continue on our mission: to make flying fun again.

https://watch.jetsmarter.com/js-sp-video/"

Hopefully they'll listen to the feedback and implement changes.
Old Nov 4, 2016, 1:11 pm

Programs: AMEX Centurion, Skywards, JetSmarter, Etihad Guest, BA Executive Club
Fingers crossed
Old Nov 10, 2016, 9:20 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

As a background: I have the old (now discontinued) "Social Membership", so only seats on JetDeals, and not shuttles. European based (so can't speak for the US).

Update since my last post:

Have taken another 3/4 flights since my last post ... All European JetDeals.

Service from JS continues to be sporadic. Sometimes it's excellent and lightning fast. Other times it requires 3x follow-ups.

The flights themselves have all been great. Aside from a mechanical issue on one flight when we were taxiing to the runway. $500 credit was offered as compensation for this (after some follow up). Though I did receive an immediate call from JetSmarter after the incident to see if they could do anything to help. Was impressed with this service from JS. Nothing they could do about the plane.

Air Hamburg (Citation XLS, Legacy 600/650s, CJ3s), Blink and Globe (Baby Citation Mustangs), all offer excellent service. Have nothing but positive to exceptional experiences with the pilots, FBOs around London, planes, service etc. with any of the European operators. It's still an incredible type of an experience showing up as the only passenger and the pilot greeting you at the door of the FBO saying "Shall we go now?"

The only negative point with the operators is sometimes Air Hamburg seem to be slacking on posting empty legs. I don't know if this is due to the fact there aren't any or they just don't. But one day you may see 5-10 flights on their aircraft, other days 0. But don't know the reasons.

All in all, still very happy, and exceptional value for money. I'm just hoping they continue to add more operators in Europe!
Old Nov 19, 2016, 10:12 am

Programs: DL, UA
Another price increase....

Going up against the established commercial airlines is no small task. That’s why our rates are going up incrementally on the first day of December and again on January 1st.

Take advantage of this advanced notice, and lock in the current rates today. It will be our pleasure to welcome you aboard.

Here’s what to expect:

1) On December 1st, our annual membership fee goes up.

2) For new members who join after January 1st, flights longer than three hours will be charged a service fee.
###
Interesting it doesn't say what the new rates will be or the new service fees.
Old Nov 20, 2016, 10:11 am

Programs: Mileage Plus
Originally Posted by mwood20
Has anyone ever brought a service dog or been on a flight with one? Obviously they're allowed by federal law, but I just wanted to see how that went and if they were accommodating.
Not a good idea.

I brought my service animal 3 roundtrip flights from NY to SFL.
First 2 trips I initiated the flights, and had an excellent experience. The last I took their charter to SFL.

Day before my flight back from SFL to NY, they messaged me by the app with the most sketchiest convo.

--Hey how big was your dog? (As if they had not seen her last 5 flights)
--Is she service animal? (As if they had not verified that? They knew I signed up because of her)
--Where did she sit last flight (I said beside me... He then mentions she would not be allowed on board because you can not obstruct the aisles. And that the flight is full, how would you like to proceed) Basically wanting me to initiate another flight.
--I mentioned she is allowed on the flight, and I am getting on there, because she sat in front of the seat as she has done on many commercial flights, with much less space. My dog is very well trained and is always commented on by the TSA about the level of her capability.
--They gave in, of course they had too. But not without suggesting when I get back to buy her, her own membership.

I would happily have done that right from the beginning as a matter of fact. And had actually looked at Delta Private Jets. Im not in the super rich stratosphere, but I make over 7 figures so yes, it would have been a stretch but worth it. I clearly love taking my dog with me everywhere. We all have our vices.

I never took a flight with them again after that. Even though its cheaper to get her a membership than the alternatives. I own a business & I told them transparency & being up front & honest with your clients is imperative. For growth and retention.

I really wish I could continue flying with them, but this left a bad taste in my mouth. Really great service, the shuttle was nice, initiated planes were small but got the job done. And the ground staff, absolutely 100% lovely people. Who last flight understood the situation & were very empathetic.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/douggoll.../#6c96e1e778ba

I'm looking into this as they are pet friendly. I'd like to stay in 50-100k/year range. And its getting cold in NY & plan on going to FL 2-3 times per month this winter. With my dog.

If anyone has any experience with Wheels Up & their pet policy. Which seems great or has any other recommendations for travel/pet at that price/year please let me know.

Last edited by matv78; Nov 20, 2016 at 10:33 am
Old Nov 21, 2016, 5:22 am

On November 1st, the prices increased to $10,000/yr and $5,000 initiation fee, now on December 1st the prices are increasing to $11,000/yr and $4,000 initiation fee. Then on January 1st, the prices are increasing again.

Unfortunately it is appearing that they're trying everything to remain solvent, since the fees are increasing without any explanation.

I'm curious if this is causing people to sign up for the service in order to lock-in lower fees, or if it's pushing people away. For me, it's definitely the latter.
Old Nov 21, 2016, 6:48 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by imperialg
On November 1st, the prices increased to $10,000/yr and $5,000 initiation fee, now on December 1st the prices are increasing to $11,000/yr and $4,000 initiation fee. Then on January 1st, the prices are increasing again.

Unfortunately it is appearing that they're trying everything to remain solvent, since the fees are increasing without any explanation.

I'm curious if this is causing people to sign up for the service in order to lock-in lower fees, or if it's pushing people away. For me, it's definitely the latter.
The latter. They've completely pushed me away with their amateur marketing tactics and their shady salespeople. Business 101 right now on how to spot a company that has 2 options- belly up in 6 months, or some sort of merge/takeover where their client base is valued by another business.

It's a great concept, so I'm hoping for the latter there...but I wouldn't bet on it.
Old Nov 21, 2016, 2:41 pm

And empty legs now cost money..

I realize this is part of the "holiday pricing" scheme, but there it is in black and white: empty legs costing between $200-800, as well as shuttles.

The optimist in me wants to believe this is simply for the holidays (but this argument doesn't seem to hold for empty legs), but I imagine they are measuring demand and price sensitivity for some future date....
Old Nov 21, 2016, 2:50 pm

Ridiculous. Absolutely f'ing ridiculous. They made the express claim that the holiday surcharges were on shuttles, so they could add extra volume, and that it was due to increased demand/cost. This is an absolute cash grab, and cannot be explained as anything else.
Old Nov 21, 2016, 5:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, Wheels Up, Inspirato Pass, Marriott Titanium Elt, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Pres, Ntl P
Originally Posted by millions
Ridiculous. Absolutely f'ing ridiculous. They made the express claim that the holiday surcharges were on shuttles, so they could add extra volume, and that it was due to increased demand/cost. This is an absolute cash grab, and cannot be explained as anything else.
I don't believe they did. In their statement it says: "LASTLY — AND THIS IS THE NON-GOOD NEWS PART — THE DEMAND FOR FLIGHTS DURING THE HOLIDAY PERIOD IS SO GREAT, THAT WE NEED TO APPLY A VERY LIMITED "HOLIDAY ADJUSTMENT" TO OUR RATES." It does not specify shuttles.
Old Nov 21, 2016, 7:32 pm

Originally Posted by Townshend
I don't believe they did. In their statement it says: "LASTLY — AND THIS IS THE NON-GOOD NEWS PART — THE DEMAND FOR FLIGHTS DURING THE HOLIDAY PERIOD IS SO GREAT, THAT WE NEED TO APPLY A VERY LIMITED "HOLIDAY ADJUSTMENT" TO OUR RATES." It does not specify shuttles.
Fair enough. They made the express claim that they were doing it to "add supply" during these peak periods so members could "continue getting where they want, when they want." They also said they were adding an "additional" charge to their rates. We know they're not adding supply of empty legs, and additional charge suggests here was some charge to begin with. And the email also says the "additional charge" will be 30 cents a mile, and that bears no relation whatsoever to most of the rates I'm seeing on these empty legs. (Edit: Actually, I see, looks like they are charging 30 cents a mile per passenger, including guests. So if you book only 1 seat, you pay 30 cents a mile, but if you want to book your full allotment, you pay for each seat.)

In any event, the membership terms very clearly promised no charge for empty legs when I signed up and paid.

Last edited by millions; Nov 21, 2016 at 8:17 pm
Old Nov 22, 2016, 1:42 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver, Hilton Gold, Hertz Pres Circle
Now back to showing free on the jetdeals. Maybe it was a programming error?
Old Nov 26, 2016, 8:02 am

Hi All,
I just signed up for JetSmarter a few months back but unfortunately have not been able to use any of the JetDeals or shuttle program's yet. I am based out of Chicago and it seems there are very limited shuttle destinations from here? Are there any other members based out of the Midwest who have positive experiences with JetSmarter?

Does anyone know of a similar program to SurfAir in the Midwest? I primarily fly within the Midwest for business (Chicago to Detroit, or Louisville, Indiana, Iowa, MO most frequently. I do travel to Boston, LAX or other major metros (NYC, Dallas, etc.) but that is only once a month or every other month. I can see the value of JetSmarter if one lives in NYC, but looking for a similar program for Midwest travel. The $2K/mth is even worth it to fly private as long as there is unlimited shuttle travel just like JetSmarter.
Old Nov 26, 2016, 8:08 am

I just signed up for JetSmarter a few months back but unfortunately have not been able to use any of the JetDeals or shuttle program's yet. I am based out of Chicago and it seems there are very limited shuttle destinations from here? Are there any other members based out of the Midwest who have positive experiences with JetSmarter?

Does anyone know of a similar program to SurfAir in the Midwest? I primarily fly within the Midwest for business (Chicago to Detroit, or Louisville, Indiana, Iowa, MO most frequently. I do travel to Boston, LAX or other major metros (NYC, Dallas, etc.) but that is only once a month or every other month. I can see the value of JetSmarter if one lives in NYC, but looking for a similar program for Midwest travel. The $2K/mth is even worth it to fly private as long as there is unlimited shuttle travel just like JetSmarter.
Old Nov 26, 2016, 10:35 am

Programs: DL, UA
Originally Posted by Vik421

Very little out of Midwest I think

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.