Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 16, 2016, 7:33 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: elitetraveler
JetSmarter is a membership program that allows members to fly on empty legs of private jets (JetDeals) and seats on scheduled private jet shuttles (JetShuttle).
Print Wikipost

JetSmarter - discussion and experiences

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11, 2016, 1:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, Wheels Up, Inspirato Pass, Marriott Titanium Elt, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Pres, Ntl P
Originally Posted by dval44
- Is the new $150 catering fee mandatory now on transcons? Will be interesting.
I was informed this was optional and there will still be food on board.
Old Oct 11, 2016, 1:16 pm

You said it...

These guys are basically boiler room stock brokers reinvented as private aviation brokers. Same crooks different product.
Old Oct 11, 2016, 2:09 pm

When I signed up, I thought that I'd be a member for life. Now, I highly doubt that I'd renew when my membership ends in a few months--especially with the recent emails.

I'm starting to feel like I'm involved in an elaborate private jet ponzi scheme, where instead of money, I receive flights.

How unfortunate. I had high hopes.
Old Oct 11, 2016, 4:32 pm

We want to make it clear that this isn't about taking advantage of demand so we can make more money. What we are doing is adding supply during this peak period so our members can continue getting where they want, when they want.

The dates covered will be November 22-27th, December 16th-18th, 22-24th, 26th-27th and the 30th. Also, January 1st-4th.

The costs will be an additional 30 cents a mile, which translates to $330
from NY-Miami, $700 coast-to-coast, and $1,000 NY-London.
While we are never happy to bring you news of additional charges, we've worked hard to minimize these fees, despite the enormous holiday rush. We never want to call a price increase trivial, but given the fundamental value of our membership, we are tempted to.
This is disgusting, and yeah, that's exactly what they're doing. And the "we are adding supply" is almost certainly a lie, and I won't shed a tear when someone brings a suit under CA § 17200 or similar statute.
Old Oct 11, 2016, 4:52 pm

It is a lie and I have the email to prove it...

As I said I replied to the email and had a back and forth with one of their 'customer service' reps.

I suggested that what they should have done was left the existing shuttles alone and simply released a new offering to cover the increased demand. On those added shuttles (or whatever they could/should have called them) added an additional fee. Since the email specifically states they are adding supply to meet the demand.

The rep said that this isn't to add any supply but that charter costs go up during the holiday season and this added fee was to keep the existing charters running. Uh, say what?

When I told her that was in direct contradiction to the email they released and that it was now obvious that they decided to bang us over the head with a rubber mallet she had nothing...

Originally Posted by millions
This is disgusting, and yeah, that's exactly what they're doing. And the "we are adding supply" is almost certainly a lie, and I won't shed a tear when someone brings a suit under CA § 17200 or similar statute.
Old Oct 11, 2016, 4:58 pm

Originally Posted by Townshend
I hadn't heard that as well, where did you hear/see?
My rep just replied to my message and said they are still running heli transfers in/out of HPN so I don't know where that rumor came from.
Old Oct 12, 2016, 10:59 am

Originally Posted by mwood20
My rep just replied to my message and said they are still running heli transfers in/out of HPN so I don't know where that rumor came from.
The heli service to/from HPN will still remain, but it will be an additional fee, which makes it more of a drawback.
Old Oct 12, 2016, 1:00 pm

Sorry to raise the alarm on this. I meant "free helis" are ending to/from HPN. These have been free for me since signing up, and I was told that I will still get them through my membership year, but then when the new membership year starts, I will have to pay.
Old Oct 12, 2016, 1:08 pm

Originally Posted by FlyorDie88
Yea it's cool to fly on a gulf stream. But you can't keep reverting back to that same argument every time they take a little more away. That's been the trend.

They are losing money. Every time they fly a shuttle pretty much. This introduction of surge pricing is an attempt to monetize its memberships. The email they sent out yesterday specifically states they are adding to supply during the busy times to meet demand. If the demand is higher and you've got more members, and some who use it left frequently are now going to be using it during holiday seasons, they should be able to as expected. The added charge changes all that.

When I emailed the rep back about it she exposed the truth. That the price of those charters goes up during holiday seasons. And to keep the SAME number shuttles available they need to pay more. So you guessed it they are passing the cost on to the membership.

I guess they figure the ones who can afford to pay, or don't mind, paying $660 for a NY-Miami round trip on top of 10k fee will eventually support this model. The problem is the entire thing loses its shine.

Most shuttles are fully booked and fly at scheduled times - that is not private. They have simply commercialized private jets. There is no grace for arriving late. That is not private. The cancellation fee structure is egregious. Your tokens are tied up for your seat. Which controls the supply. If you arrive late due to traffic or an accident the plane will be gone and you will be charged thousands in yet another scheme to monetize the members.

They are showing signs of cracking already. The model isn't sustainable as is. They lose money every time they fly.
I pretty much agree with everything you say here. JetSmarter is far, far worse than flying private, where you pick the time, etc. BUT if you use it a bit, it is about 1% of the cost. So one must keep that in mind.

"They have simply commercialized private jets" - exactly. In fact, upon getting on the G4 in Chicago, 4 of us were told to "wait" so they could do"priority boarding" for the Sophisticated member. I think I physically cringed when they said that.

IMO, their mistake is in communication and naming. If they called it, "Beta helicopter service" in Chi and stated it would be trialed for 3 mos, everyone would be cool. But saying it is a guaranteed benefit and then taking it away is the mistake. I hope they tread with caution with this in the future.

Overall, they are providing a fantastic service, and I imagine most early adopters expected some growing pains. But you all rightly point out some issues.
Old Oct 13, 2016, 7:18 pm

That's what you get when a bunch of kids that would have been selling stocks or mortgages for $3 rips get in the PJ game...
Old Oct 14, 2016, 5:27 pm

Programs: BA Gold, UA Premier 1K, Amex Plat, GlobalEntry
Yep, exactly what I was told.

Our heli transfers are free until we renew on Jan 28th, then... not.

Originally Posted by dval44
Sorry to raise the alarm on this. I meant "free helis" are ending to/from HPN. These have been free for me since signing up, and I was told that I will still get them through my membership year, but then when the new membership year starts, I will have to pay.
Old Oct 14, 2016, 9:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, Wheels Up, Inspirato Pass, Marriott Titanium Elt, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Pres, Ntl P
Originally Posted by backdoc
Our heli transfers are free until we renew on Jan 28th, then... not.
They go from complimentary to complementry
Old Oct 14, 2016, 11:18 pm

Programs: DL Gold, AS MVPG, Globalist
Originally Posted by Townshend
They go from complimentary to complementry
Oh nice. Can I borrow that?
Old Oct 15, 2016, 2:54 pm

How much are the transfers after you renew? Last I heard they are $150 each, is that still true? Still WAY cheaper than blade bounce.
Old Oct 15, 2016, 5:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Virtuoso Travel Agent, Commercial Pilot
How much are the transfers after you renew? Last I heard they are $150 each, is that still true? Still WAY cheaper than blade bounce.
$250 from HPN. $150 if you manage to catch something to/from TEB.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.