Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 16, 2016, 7:33 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: elitetraveler
JetSmarter is a membership program that allows members to fly on empty legs of private jets (JetDeals) and seats on scheduled private jet shuttles (JetShuttle).
Print Wikipost

JetSmarter - discussion and experiences

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2017, 1:25 pm

Programs: SkyMiles Platinum, JetSmarter
Originally Posted by millions
Helicopters are back in NY. As long as at least four people book a seat, and you pay CASH. Yet another reason why those credits are so exciting!
Just got the email to all members that helicopters are back, but they're flying single engine helicopters again (AS350s it looks like). We just were told that these were unsafe and they would only fly twin-engine, two-pilot Sikorskys for "safety reasons" -- which is it!?
Old Jul 27, 2017, 2:00 pm

Originally Posted by WhyPrivate
I have zero interest in inserting myself in this petty argument, but if I'm paying full price (25% higher than broker price in jetsmarter's case) for a charter and then diminishing the value of my charter by allowing strangers to join my family or employees I most certainly would want one of the following..

1. cash back (ok if a certain % of $ is retained by the booking agent)
say jetsmarter picks up 5,000 and gives me 3,500.

2. fully redeemable credit (also ok if a certain % of credit is retained by booking agent).

option 3, the current offering which is a hard to redeem credit has no appeal to me and I don't think others who pay for full aircraft charter will consider being inconvenienced for such a pittance. Those who would even consider a share would likely do it regularly, therefore stacking up "credits" without the ability to redeem.
There's also the little matter of selling memberships and renewals with the promises that: (a) helicopter transfers would be available from HPN (and they haven't for several months, based on what are likely fabricated excuses about safety), and (b) you could use your flight credits to pay for those helicopter transfers.

But maybe you and I just don't "get it."
Old Jul 27, 2017, 3:09 pm

Does anyone know precisely when you get your token back? I would like to try and do the NYC to ATL and then ATL to So Fl flights, but they claim you need to book the flights within 3 hours of takeoff. Presumably if they gave the token back when they scan your ID I'd have a few mins to book. If it's takeoff though, there's no chance, right?
Old Jul 27, 2017, 3:14 pm

Also, has anyone used the catering before? I am curious, since they said the $50 can't come from credits, as I'm looking for ways I can spend my $500 in credit. (They also said car service to HPN for $50 can't come from credit.)
Old Jul 27, 2017, 3:16 pm

Programs: DL Gold, AS MVPG, Globalist
Originally Posted by PRoth59
Does anyone know precisely when you get your token back? I would like to try and do the NYC to ATL and then ATL to So Fl flights, but they claim you need to book the flights within 3 hours of takeoff. Presumably if they gave the token back when they scan your ID I'd have a few mins to book. If it's takeoff though, there's no chance, right?
It's the minute the plane is scheduled to take off, regardless of when it actually takes off.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 3:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, Wheels Up, Inspirato Pass, Marriott Titanium Elt, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Pres, Ntl P
Originally Posted by PRoth59
Also, has anyone used the catering before? I am curious, since they said the $50 can't come from credits, as I'm looking for ways I can spend my $500 in credit. (They also said car service to HPN for $50 can't come from credit.)
Maybe this changed but I did use my credit for meals previously. I have done the catering and while it was good it's not worth $150. Better off getting delivery to the FBO if you need to eat IMHO
Old Jul 27, 2017, 3:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, Wheels Up, Inspirato Pass, Marriott Titanium Elt, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Pres, Ntl P
Originally Posted by WhyPrivate
I have zero interest in inserting myself in this petty argument, but if I'm paying full price (25% higher than broker price in jetsmarter's case) for a charter and then diminishing the value of my charter by allowing strangers to join my family or employees I most certainly would want one of the following..

1. cash back (ok if a certain % of $ is retained by the booking agent)
say jetsmarter picks up 5,000 and gives me 3,500.

2. fully redeemable credit (also ok if a certain % of credit is retained by booking agent).

option 3, the current offering which is a hard to redeem credit has no appeal to me and I don't think others who pay for full aircraft charter will consider being inconvenienced for such a pittance. Those who would even consider a share would likely do it regularly, therefore stacking up "credits" without the ability to redeem.
FWIW JS has previously matched competitors on their pricing.

I agree with you though. While the idea is interesting and a great attempt at something a little different I'm not a big fan of the caps on credits.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 4:02 pm

Programs: QF LTG
Originally Posted by Townshend
Maybe this changed but I did use my credit for meals previously. I have done the catering and while it was good it's not worth $150. Better off getting delivery to the FBO if you need to eat IMHO
how do you do that? Order via the FBO or just get seamless delivered to the FBO?
Old Jul 27, 2017, 4:02 pm

Programs: BA Gold Club, Chase, JetSmarter, NCL
Originally Posted by Townshend
You can still use flight credit for catering, did it very recently.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 4:36 pm

Programs: DL, UA
There's also the little matter of selling memberships and renewals with the promises that: (a) helicopter transfers would be available from HPN (and they haven't for several months, based on what are likely fabricated excuses about safety), and (b) you could use your flight credits to pay for those helicopter transfers.

But maybe you and I just don't "get it."
now you're onto your next complaint. My point, exactly. You don't want to debate the initial issue, which is fine; nor do I - but the solution to your challenges with JS are hardly going to be found here in FT. It's a broad group of people - some who are members and unhappy with aspects, some who are members who are happy, and some bystanders who have varying degrees of opinion, too. But it's a forum where ideas and opinions are shared and not necessarily agreed with. Anyone who is unhappy can and should vote with their wallet, not continue to forum-room-critic style complain and do nothing about it. Or sue them. Or whatever.

I do NOT think jetsmarter is perfect....far from it. I have repeatedly said here of my issue I've taken on their poor communication (style, frequency and credibility). But I accept some of their practices that I find to be a bit wayward, and just get on with it. I guess I'm not sure the point of airing all the grievances here. Any and all I've had that have sufficiently irked me, I've taken up directly with the company. If we agree to disagree, that's fine. But, I will take issue when some of the points raised about the service are being unfairly compared to scenarios that are unrelated or from left field. in my very humble opinion, that just diminishes the point at issue, entirely.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 4:40 pm

Programs: DL, UA
Originally Posted by travelnat95
You can still use flight credit for catering, did it very recently.
yet again - this speaks to the poor and contradictory communication they deliver. They should have a specific area in the app, as an example, to advise the current T&Cs including heli availability, pricing, what credits can be earned, and used for, etc. And have a 'valid from - until' so there's no ambiguity. That they're figuring much of this out as they go along and playing a little bit of 'oh no, we ran out of money, so let's change it' is definitely an egregious taint on what should be an overwhelmingly positive experience. None of us can control changes, but knowing what's coming - especially before hand - would be appreciated by everyone, I'm sure.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 4:51 pm

Originally Posted by cakiwi
now you're onto your next complaint. My point, exactly. You don't want to debate the initial issue, which is fine; nor do I - but the solution to your challenges with JS are hardly going to be found here in FT. It's a broad group of people - some who are members and unhappy with aspects, some who are members who are happy, and some bystanders who have varying degrees of opinion, too. But it's a forum where ideas and opinions are shared and not necessarily agreed with. Anyone who is unhappy can and should vote with their wallet, not continue to forum-room-critic style complain and do nothing about it. Or sue them. Or whatever.
Actually it is the original issue.

Helicopters are back in NY. As long as at least four people book a seat, and you pay CASH. Yet another reason why those credits are so exciting!
And it's shady as hell.

And I will forum-critic style complain for as long as I care to, thank you very much. If you're unhappy about it, you should add me to your ignore list. Or leave. Or whatever.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 4:51 pm

Originally Posted by dordal
It's the minute the plane is scheduled to take off, regardless of when it actually takes off.
So then the 1PM nyc-atl and 4pm atl-fll def isn't doable, right?
Old Jul 27, 2017, 6:27 pm

Also, are there pics of the food/catering? It shows as $50 for me on NYC to ATL. I'd be curious about other ways to spend the $500, since the most likely other option is a 3rd person on a deal.

I used $50 of credit to get something for the Teterboro to ATL shuttle. Will take pics. Seems like basically charcuterie

Last edited by PRoth59; Jul 30, 2017 at 9:48 pm Reason: update
Old Aug 2, 2017, 3:41 am

Talked to a JS senior representative in Europe, they're gonna probably shut down the JetDeals, he told me that JetDeals weren't their priority anymore as they don't make a penny over them. That's probably the reason why they're slowly reducing the availability and replacing JetDeals with SharedCharters..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.