Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bidding for travel?

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2005, 5:42 pm

Well those bannings don't last for long if you have a normal home cable connection

Most providers have dynamic IP address therefore they change addresses every so often. I was banned, and used an anon proxy like megaproxy.com for a while, and then discovered that I was able to view through my normal server after about a week. From work, I am still banned, because their servers continue to have the same address. I now just use BFT but don't post or use any of her links. I will only use betterbidding.com. Also, betterbidding.com is growing very quickly and especially since all the bad opinions out there of BFT. It will come swift and great.. the takeover that is. Mexic will drive herself right out of business just like she has done in the past with other travel sites... She is not new to this business and there were other places on the internet she posted before prior to opening her own site. She was a nasty to others.
Old May 13, 2005, 1:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
Originally Posted by wrose99
I really believe the banning of many extremely active bidders is a big part of that decline.
Ditto! I used to post all my bids to BFT but then the always so nice moderator complaint that I posted too many of my bids at the same properties. I deleted all of my posts and got banned.

I have got lazy and decided not to post my winning bids anywhere.
Old May 13, 2005, 5:53 am

Let's try and be cautious that we don't "cross the line" and go from criticizing
business methods to attacking a person.
Invariably, every few months we see this thread (or a new similar one) come alive again. This probably reflects that things have not changed at BFT.
Realistically, there's no reason to believe they will.
BFT has been a valuable resource and ,IMHO,could be even more valuable with a different management approach. What makes them valuable is the number of posts from "volunteers".These travelers freely offer information and are the real asset of this site. Unfortunatlely,in order to run a "tight information ship" ,management has often gone overboard in the treatment of those willing to freely share.
Betterbidding seems to have a much better business model, but came into the market much later than BFT. It will take awhile, if ever, for them to surpass their competition.
If you disagree with BFT's methods ,support Betterbidding.
I believe this summarizes this thread and other similar ones.

Three final points I'd like to make: 1.It's okay to post that you have been banned or feel that you have been mistreated.
2.It's okay to openly disagree (and agree)with the management style of BFT.
3. You can do this (as I believe I did in this post) without personal attacks.
Old May 13, 2005, 7:13 am

Programs: AA PLT and that's that!
I used BFT recently to bid for a MIA hotel for one night. I found it very useful. I was also amazed at the number of people requesting bidding assistance without following her guidelines .... even after she responded several times trying to coax them to posting what is required. Personally, I don't have a problem with her requirements. If you are asking for help there is no reason why you shouldn't do some of the legwork yourself. Not wanting to take the time to read the FAQ she has provided is just plain lazy. If you don't want to take the time, then don't ask for help.
Old May 13, 2005, 11:14 am

Its not about following her format

If you do not use her links (she checks), YOU WILL BE BANNED.
If you post on betterbidding.com and she finds out (don't use the same user name), YOU WILL BE BANNED.
If you do not enable you account to allow you to get her emails that say basically "you better bid though my links or you will be banned", YOU WILL BE BANNED.
If you question the treatment or rudeness you get in an encounter with her, YOU WILL BE BANNED.
If you defend others in a post in regards to her rudeness and arrogance, YOU WILL BE BANNED
If you question why you are banned.. well YOU ARE NOW BANNED. Go to betterbidding.com

That is all.

Ps. Here is another 76 people that she has banned, we have all found betterbidding.
http://www.betterbidding.com/index.p...&f=425&t=3299&

Originally Posted by tazi
I used BFT recently to bid for a MIA hotel for one night. I found it very useful. I was also amazed at the number of people requesting bidding assistance without following her guidelines .... even after she responded several times trying to coax them to posting what is required. Personally, I don't have a problem with her requirements. If you are asking for help there is no reason why you shouldn't do some of the legwork yourself. Not wanting to take the time to read the FAQ she has provided is just plain lazy. If you don't want to take the time, then don't ask for help.

Last edited by helper1; May 13, 2005 at 11:27 am
Old May 13, 2005, 11:31 am

Programs: AA Exec PLT; Marriott PLAT
Interesting thread, I've only recently started using priceline for hotel stays, and have used both sites to work on my bids. I haven't asked for assistance or even created usernames at either site yet, just plugged in successful bid info along with listed hotel rates into Excel, plotted the data, and tried to correct for check in days, prevalence of sold out hotels, etc. to get an idea of where I should start bidding. I'm guessing this is how the administrators also work out their bid suggestions?
Old May 13, 2005, 12:36 pm

Programs: AA PLT and that's that!
Originally Posted by helper1
If you do not use her links (she checks), YOU WILL BE BANNED.
I didn't use her links and she pm'd me to thank me for posting my winning bid and asked that I do next time. She didn't insist...just asked. No big deal to me.

If you post on betterbidding.com and she finds out (don't use the same user name), YOU WILL BE BANNED.
I guess I will wait and see. I have used them same user name on these bulletin boards and have no intention of changing one to hide. I am free to post wherever I choose and yes, I did post on betterbidding.com as well. I used both sites to research my bid and will treat both equally.

If you do not enable you account to allow you to get her emails that say basically "you better bid though my links or you will be banned", YOU WILL BE BANNED.
I enabled my account to accept private messages through the bulletin board only. It was already set that way as I am a member of several ezboard groups. She didn't mention anything about not having email enabled. I didn't require bidding assistance though. Not sure if that makes a difference.
Old May 14, 2005, 3:47 am

Programs: 2Peon, NW PLAT, HH Diamond & *W Fallen-from-Gold-Grace
Whoa, I guess I should be grateful I haven't been banned!

I use Upromise.com to access Priceline, so I've never considered using the Amazing-Bargains link. I've been politely asked to use the AB link through private messages. And honestly was too afraid to reply.

The last time I used PL I ended up bidding separately for a two-night stay. The first winning bid I posted on BFT. When I won the second night's bid a few days later, I went to BetterBidding to post. I was afraid someone at BFT would remember my recent post and again gently suggest I use the AB link. (gulp)

Just curious, has anyone responded to the BFT moderator that you use another portal? If so, what was the response? And have you since received suggestions to use the AB link?
Old May 14, 2005, 5:24 am

Programs: AA, Delta Kryptonium (DM) Hyatt Diamond IHG Fake Plat (Ambassador), HH Gold
Originally Posted by FourWheels
Whoa, I guess I should be grateful I haven't been banned!

I use Upromise.com to access Priceline, so I've never considered using the Amazing-Bargains link. I've been politely asked to use the AB link through private messages. And honestly was too afraid to reply.

The last time I used PL I ended up bidding separately for a two-night stay. The first winning bid I posted on BFT. When I won the second night's bid a few days later, I went to BetterBidding to post. I was afraid someone at BFT would remember my recent post and again gently suggest I use the AB link. (gulp)

Just curious, has anyone responded to the BFT moderator that you use another portal? If so, what was the response? And have you since received suggestions to use the AB link?

It is unfortunate that people have to experience anything close to fear when dealing with a service/website. It reminds me of a certain soup establishment that gained notarity here in NYC.

If you get banned, don't fret, it is still easy to lurk... I do from AOL

To answer your last question. I responded honestly that I use eBay/PL because of the effective $10 rebate on my hotel.

The good news is that I did not receive any additional suggestions to use the AB link after that....because I was BANNED

That being said both betterbidding.com and BFT are wonderful information resources. It makes sense to utilize both to get the best PL intelligence possible.

Both sites indeed need customer information and customer financial support to remain viable. It will be interesting to see how the different business strategies will play out.

Competition and options are always good for the traveler. I hope they both do well, with BB doing a little better.
Old May 16, 2005, 10:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
It's unfortunate that it's all come to this. I was one of the most active posters and moderators in the earliest days back when the $25 AMEX bonus was around and the dot.com boom had retail hotel prices in Boston topping $300/night. I was long gone by the time the AMEX bonus left and the revenue-based model showed up, as my work travel situation has changed; as a result I have incentive to stick with Hilton and Sheraton, and tons of points to use when the rates are too high for my liking.

I strongly disagree with the current moderation policy and the revenue model through AB. As a result, I haven't posted in at about a year, maybe more. I don't need the resource; when I do use PL, I have four email accounts and four credit cards to use, and am bidding in places with tremendous amounts of rebids.
Old May 16, 2005, 10:39 pm

I have used BFT successfully many times in the past, and I find it a very valuable resource. The way BFT supports itself is by an honor system in which users are supposed to bid using the Amazing Bargains link. I suppose they could charge users a subscriber fee instead, but they don't (for which I'm thankful).

People who use BFT SHOULD use this link...not doing so is unethical, imo. You're being a freeloader by using BFT as a resource then using another link that doesn't support BFT to try to save even more money. If everyone did that, the board would have to shut down--is that what you really want? You're violating the honor system that makes BFT work. The rules aren't that onerous, so I don't see why people complain so much.

If you don't want to use the Amazing Bargains link, then don't use BFT. If you don't want to follow the relatively simple rules, then don't use BFT. Use betterbidding.com (which I don't find nearly as helpful) or some other resource instead. I can't believe how whiney people are when they don't follow the rules and then complain about being penalized.
Old May 16, 2005, 10:54 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Celebrity Cruises Elite Plus
I contributed what I consider to be a significant amount to the BFT community for nearly three years. My contribution went beyond simply posting winning bids, but also assisting whenever zones were redrawn, offered some tried-and-true bidding strategies, etc, etc.

But after awhile one grows weary of seeing fellow community contributors berated and treated like juveniles. You can only stand seeing so much abuse so long. So I just sort of banned myself late last year, making it a New Year's resolution not to post anymore. And I must say, it's the first time I've been successfull this long at a New Year's resolution! Too bad I can't stick to dieting like I've stuck to not posting!

But, seriously, there have been a number of times I've wanted to jump in and help someone who could have benefitted from my contribution. But darn it, I'm sticking to my resolution.......

Thankfully, we all have an alternative venue in BB. What a fun, not to mention informative, welcoming community! And I especially appreciate that BB covers both Priceline as well as Hotwire. I'm using Hotwire much more these days, thanks in part to the info on BB such as the reusable $30 Entertainment rebate. The rebate makes Hotwire very competitive with Priceline. I never could understand why BFT didn't include Hotwire, especially since it has no formal ties w/Priceline.
Old May 17, 2005, 8:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Originally Posted by et415
The way BFT supports itself is by an honor system in which users are supposed to bid using the Amazing Bargains link.
So why does BFT go to such great lengths to suppress this "fact"? Why all the subtrefuge with the "message" to the mailbox? Most people would understand an approach that directly informs them that the site is supported by use of the link (or is the Administratrix afraid of offending PL to the point that they cut her off)?

The simple fact is that BFT is really two boards - a repository of bidding data posted by independent travellers, and separately, a place for non-comprehending newbies to go to seek bidding strategies.

BFT has hegemony in the area of bidding information because it was there first, and a lack of alternatives allowed it to gain acceptanc as the "default" place for travellers to post such information. But I will stress again that the bidding data is the "property" (meant in a common-sense, not legal, way) of the travellers who made the winning bids. They seek to share their information with other PL users, and give little thought to the fact that they are "giving" their information to a for-profit entity in Houston - they are merely placing the information at the web location where they have been told to use by referral - most users of BFT having been referred by word-of-mouth (or these days, word-of-web-posting) on places like cruise line information boards, magazine and newspaper articles, and yes, even FlyerTalk.

I understand the idea that no one should seek interactive bidding assistance without "giving back" in a more direct fashion. But for the sharing of raw data, for which BFT serves only as a passive repository, I for one feel absolutely no ethical constraint against using the bidding data on BFT, BB, FT, or elsewhere.

My obligation, when helped, is to offer information and assistance to the people who are, like me, sharing bidding information, not to the Administratrix or to any other specific board operator who chooses to make their board available on a non-subscription site. And I do help, to the best ability, not only by posting raw bidding data but also by offering other information that goes further, such as public transit options, warnings on date conflicts and economical dining options near the hotels. These things may not be meaningful to for-profit board owners, but I daresay that some travellers (especially first timers) might find value in these "contributions".

I suppose they could charge users a subscriber fee instead, but they don't (for which I'm thankful).
I for one wish that BFT would convert to a subscription model (beginning today). It would make a great majority of people who currently utilize BFT because they think it's the only bidding information option, seek out the alternatives (although it might hurt the revenues of Houston-area sushi bars).....
Old May 17, 2005, 9:41 am

Originally Posted by Non-NonRev
So why does BFT go to such great lengths to suppress this "fact"? Why all the subtrefuge with the "message" to the mailbox?
Very good question. A few years ago, the amazing-bargains.com connection was very open, but for some reason Priceline informed BFT that it would sever its connection and "ban" BFT if it didn't stop mentioning amazing-bargains. However, there is no prohibition against the moderator privately emailing individuals asking them to use the link--that's why enabling the private email function is so important to the moderator. Users are allowed to mention the link in their posts (which is why so many do--to help out the moderator), but the moderator herself cannot do so. It's a weird constraint that makes life much more difficult for the moderator (whom I don't know personally, btw).

> I for one feel absolutely no ethical constraint against using the bidding
> data on BFT, BB, FT, or elsewhere.
> I for one wish that BFT would convert to a subscription model

I don't understand. You seem to bristle about voluntarily using the A-B link, which costs you nothing. The only reason I can think of why someone would resist using the link is that they could use a discount link elsewhere and save some money. But later you state you want to be forced to pay to use the site. I, for one, much prefer the voluntary method (which costs me nothing) over the subscription-model, which costs me money and hassle.

As I have said, I have saved lots of money by using the data on BFT, so I definitely have an interest in seeing it continue. The moderator used to be less shrill, so that makes me think that revenues from A-B are going down relative to the cost of maintaining the site.
Old May 17, 2005, 10:12 am

Programs: AA, Delta Kryptonium (DM) Hyatt Diamond IHG Fake Plat (Ambassador), HH Gold
Originally Posted by Non-NonRev

Snipped...

The simple fact is that BFT is really two boards - a repository of bidding data posted by independent travellers, and separately, a place for non-comprehending newbies to go to seek bidding strategies.

Expressed perfectly!!! The value of all boards is the quality and volume of the information provided by the posters, great moderation, and the advice and treatment of the customer

BFT has hegemony in the area of bidding information because it was there first, and a lack of alternatives allowed it to gain acceptanc as the "default" place for travellers to post such information. But I will stress again that the bidding data is the "property" (meant in a common-sense, not legal, way) of the travellers who made the winning bids.

^ ^ ^

I understand the idea that no one should seek interactive bidding assistance without "giving back" in a more direct fashion. But for the sharing of raw data, for which BFT serves only as a passive repository, I for one feel absolutely no ethical constraint against using the bidding data on BFT, BB, FT, or elsewhere.

There are very few times that anyone should feel an ethical constraint on using data that is on a public website that solicits that information (in part) to share with others.

My obligation, when helped, is to offer information and assistance to the people who are, like me, sharing bidding information, not to the Administratrix or to any other specific board operator who chooses to make their board available on a non-subscription site. And I do help, to the best ability, not only by posting raw bidding data but also by offering other information that goes further, such as public transit options, warnings on date conflicts and economical dining options near the hotels. These things may not be meaningful to for-profit board owners, but I daresay that some travellers (especially first timers) might find value in these "contributions".

I for one wish that BFT would convert to a subscription model (beginning today). It would make a great majority of people who currently utilize BFT because they think it's the only bidding information option, seek out the alternatives (although it might hurt the revenues of Houston-area sushi bars).....
This would be a more honest approach, but I'm not sure that a high degree of transperancy is what BFT wants given the history of hostility to information that may maximize the consumer's financial interest (Anything points), or travel options (Hotwire). I'm not trying to pile on, but I hope BFT fans will try to communicate with BFT ownership to save it from itself.

BTW Non-NonRev You post is on so target
^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.