FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Bidding for travel?
View Single Post
Old May 17, 2005, 9:41 am
et415

Originally Posted by Non-NonRev
So why does BFT go to such great lengths to suppress this "fact"? Why all the subtrefuge with the "message" to the mailbox?
Very good question. A few years ago, the amazing-bargains.com connection was very open, but for some reason Priceline informed BFT that it would sever its connection and "ban" BFT if it didn't stop mentioning amazing-bargains. However, there is no prohibition against the moderator privately emailing individuals asking them to use the link--that's why enabling the private email function is so important to the moderator. Users are allowed to mention the link in their posts (which is why so many do--to help out the moderator), but the moderator herself cannot do so. It's a weird constraint that makes life much more difficult for the moderator (whom I don't know personally, btw).

> I for one feel absolutely no ethical constraint against using the bidding
> data on BFT, BB, FT, or elsewhere.
> I for one wish that BFT would convert to a subscription model

I don't understand. You seem to bristle about voluntarily using the A-B link, which costs you nothing. The only reason I can think of why someone would resist using the link is that they could use a discount link elsewhere and save some money. But later you state you want to be forced to pay to use the site. I, for one, much prefer the voluntary method (which costs me nothing) over the subscription-model, which costs me money and hassle.

As I have said, I have saved lots of money by using the data on BFT, so I definitely have an interest in seeing it continue. The moderator used to be less shrill, so that makes me think that revenues from A-B are going down relative to the cost of maintaining the site.