FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Bidding for travel?
View Single Post
Old May 17, 2005, 10:12 am
mapsgl

Programs: AA, Delta Kryptonium (DM) Hyatt Diamond IHG Fake Plat (Ambassador), HH Gold
Originally Posted by Non-NonRev

Snipped...

The simple fact is that BFT is really two boards - a repository of bidding data posted by independent travellers, and separately, a place for non-comprehending newbies to go to seek bidding strategies.

Expressed perfectly!!! The value of all boards is the quality and volume of the information provided by the posters, great moderation, and the advice and treatment of the customer

BFT has hegemony in the area of bidding information because it was there first, and a lack of alternatives allowed it to gain acceptanc as the "default" place for travellers to post such information. But I will stress again that the bidding data is the "property" (meant in a common-sense, not legal, way) of the travellers who made the winning bids.

^ ^ ^

I understand the idea that no one should seek interactive bidding assistance without "giving back" in a more direct fashion. But for the sharing of raw data, for which BFT serves only as a passive repository, I for one feel absolutely no ethical constraint against using the bidding data on BFT, BB, FT, or elsewhere.

There are very few times that anyone should feel an ethical constraint on using data that is on a public website that solicits that information (in part) to share with others.

My obligation, when helped, is to offer information and assistance to the people who are, like me, sharing bidding information, not to the Administratrix or to any other specific board operator who chooses to make their board available on a non-subscription site. And I do help, to the best ability, not only by posting raw bidding data but also by offering other information that goes further, such as public transit options, warnings on date conflicts and economical dining options near the hotels. These things may not be meaningful to for-profit board owners, but I daresay that some travellers (especially first timers) might find value in these "contributions".

I for one wish that BFT would convert to a subscription model (beginning today). It would make a great majority of people who currently utilize BFT because they think it's the only bidding information option, seek out the alternatives (although it might hurt the revenues of Houston-area sushi bars).....
This would be a more honest approach, but I'm not sure that a high degree of transperancy is what BFT wants given the history of hostility to information that may maximize the consumer's financial interest (Anything points), or travel options (Hotwire). I'm not trying to pile on, but I hope BFT fans will try to communicate with BFT ownership to save it from itself.

BTW Non-NonRev You post is on so target
^