Who will be the next oneworld member? + New membership announcements [merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 23, 2016, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JAXBA
FAQ

When is [insert airline here] joining oneworld???
Which airlines are lined up to join?
See list below and
https://www.oneworld.com/member-airlines/overview
Another useful page for official announcements is: https://www.oneworld.com/news-information/oneworldnews

Current members elect (officially announced and currently aligning processes):

WY - Oman Air
Announced 20JUN22, with a target of '2024' - no indication yet when in 2024 this may be. https://www.oneworld.com/news/2022-0...-join-oneworld

Expected members:

FJ - Fiji Airways
Currently the only oneworld Connect member, FJ stated 28FEB24 that they would like to seek full membership and would apply in Q3 2024.Full membership may still take until 2025/2026. #1489 and https://onemileatatime.com/news/fiji-airways-oneworld/

EI - Aer Lingus
EI's new owners, IAG (owners of existing members BA+IB), stated before acquisition that they fully intended EI to rejoin, and have restated the intention since completing the purchase. EI has not yet been publically 'invited' by oneworld but should join eventually. When? When it's announced... When will EI become a full member of Oneworld?
Originally Posted by Willie Walsh via USA Today - 18NOV16
Walsh said it was too early to set a precise date for when Aer Lingus might officially join.
“We don’t have a specific timeline. We’re working as quickly as we can," he said.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/trave...-ceo/94064688/

Potential members:
Well, that's what the discussion below is all about! Heard a rumour? Think oneworld should chase a particular airline to join or switch? Make your case!

Print Wikipost

Who will be the next oneworld member? + New membership announcements [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2015, 8:49 am

Programs: BA (G), SK (S), KL
Originally Posted by Kachjc
no all members do not have to agree..
CX/BA/QF/AA basically have complete power and they have their allies

LAN and JL do whatever AA wants
The European/other Asian follow BA
QF is close to AA

CX just sits on its own, no real ally or minion in OW, CX does have a snobbish attitude, CEO's have said they could buy BA anyday, ME3 will never reach their standards etc

unlike SQ , CX has not allowed itself to just be bullied by the western carriers (LH/UA for Star) (DL/AF) for skyteam

as for Hainan, anyone who wants Hainan to join , needs to get their head examined.
If Hainan cared one bit about Oneworld they would not have saved Hong Kong airlines...

asking Hainan to join is like asking VS to join Oneworld
or Southwest to join Oneworld
or Avianca to join oneworld...

please do not be silly, if Hainan cared one bit they would not have saved and expanded a competitor to a founding Oneworld member...

My future hopes
Indigo
Bangkok Airways ( CX likes them)
LOT
some central American ( or LATAM launch another 1-2 LAN brands in central America)

KE
and hopefully CA ( the only PRC member CX would tolerate)
keep in mind CA was just the back up plan, CX wanted MU and even offered to buy shares ( Shanghai was CX's original home)

of these
Indigo is of high importance, OW needs to trap and grow its FF base there before it becomes too late...

+1.
Finally someone with the same thinking/hopes as me haha
Old Apr 16, 2015, 6:30 pm

I remember former CX CEO John Slosar I think it was that was wanting China Eastern to be in Oneworld but they chose Skyteam instead.
Old May 8, 2015, 11:11 pm

Programs: AA-EXP (1.7MM), BA-Slvr, HH-Diamond
So with the announcement of the QR-AT partnership, can we reasonably expect AT to join OW somewhere in the not too distant future?

Royal Air Maroc, Qatar Airways in strategic partnership deal
Old May 8, 2015, 11:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by maortega15
I remember former CX CEO John Slosar I think it was that was wanting China Eastern to be in Oneworld but they chose Skyteam instead.
Hollow words; suggest the impossible in order to appease the rest of the alliance.
Old May 9, 2015, 12:42 am
Suspended

Programs: CX MPO
Skyteam (but, really AF) has had the good fortune to meet first and nurture then ($$$$) one well connected individual in order to get first CZ then MU in their fold. Anyway the recent story of China is full of such individuals, that sooner or later are involved in one of the many struggles between party kleptocrats, and meet their demise. Comrade Chairman Liu fortune will not last forever, and at this point we will see how long either one between CZ and MU will stay in its actual condition.
Old May 10, 2015, 7:13 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by CXBA
Skyteam (but, really AF) has had the good fortune to meet first and nurture then ($$$$) one well connected individual in order to get first CZ then MU in their fold. Anyway the recent story of China is full of such individuals, that sooner or later are involved in one of the many struggles between party kleptocrats, and meet their demise. Comrade Chairman Liu fortune will not last forever, and at this point we will see how long either one between CZ and MU will stay in its actual condition.
That is exactly the story and that is exactly how BA sees this. BA has said frequently that they think one Chinese partner will come along. The biggest problem for oneworld in China is:
1>, The perfect candidate MU was screwed by the former CEO (want to 'marry' SQ) and the current CEO (the No.1 fan of Air France in China)
2>, The former CA CEO now the head of CAAC (CX tried to veto Air China joining star alliance which offended this guy who even wrote an article to criticise CX)

So once both following condition is met, you never know who would jump the ship:
1>, The current CEO of MU leaves, and provide he did not take over CAAC top job; and
2>, The current CAAC boss retires
Old May 10, 2015, 7:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by moondog
Hollow words; suggest the impossible in order to appease the rest of the alliance.
But typical business speak .
Old May 13, 2015, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ByrdluvsAWACO
So with the announcement of the QR-AT partnership, can we reasonably expect AT to join OW somewhere in the not too distant future?

Royal Air Maroc, Qatar Airways in strategic partnership deal
They would be a good fit for OW. Strong coverage of Africa, especially West Africa.
Old May 18, 2015, 11:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
Originally Posted by Swanhunter
They would be a good fit for OW. Strong coverage of Africa, especially West Africa.
This thread has seen "news" of Royal Air Maroc joining OW about yearly, this is the second time in the last year.

Hopefully AT will be the future new member of OW, especially as stated above, to cover a large part of Africa, presently mostly white on the OW map
Old May 26, 2015, 1:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: CX MPO
Ireland parliament has agreed to sell its 25% stake in Aer Lingus to IAG, so we can expect their re-entry in OW rooster:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/24871795-post232.html
Old May 26, 2015, 3:26 pm

Originally Posted by CXBA
Ireland parliament has agreed to sell its 25% stake in Aer Lingus to IAG, so we can expect their re-entry in OW rooster:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/24871795-post232.html

Well lets not get ahead of ourselves. The journey to EI rejoining OW is only half complete.

The problem now becomes FR. Since Walsh made the deal contingent on both the govt and FR selling their shares, he empowered MOL. Of course MOL is now playing his little games trying to avoid the UK CMA ruling forcing him to sell down FR's shareholding.

We'll see his true intent when IAG officially presents the offer to FR's board.

If a deal is reached for both govt and FR shares of EI, I wonder if EI will become a OW member this year or in 2016?
Old May 27, 2015, 1:01 am

Programs: TG*G , PR Classic
how about PG
Old May 27, 2015, 9:27 pm

Programs: Bonvoy, Golden Circle, Marco Polo, MileagePlus, SKYMILES
Originally Posted by nattime
how about PG
I don't think PG will join OW....
Old May 27, 2015, 11:39 pm

Originally Posted by ByrdluvsAWACO
Well lets not get ahead of ourselves. The journey to EI rejoining OW is only half complete.

The problem now becomes FR. Since Walsh made the deal contingent on both the govt and FR selling their shares, he empowered MOL. Of course MOL is now playing his little games trying to avoid the UK CMA ruling forcing him to sell down FR's shareholding.

We'll see his true intent when IAG officially presents the offer to FR's board.

If a deal is reached for both govt and FR shares of EI, I wonder if EI will become a OW member this year or in 2016?
I don't think FR will be an issue. MOL will do his usual posturing for effect but he has been told he has to sell, he cant sell to anyone else (AF/LH are in no position to buy, and in practice he cant sell to anyone outside the EU) and he knows the IAG offer is the best he's likely to get on a stake he effectively wrote off already.
Old May 29, 2015, 10:49 pm

Talking Lots of good news for OW this week.

It looks like QR is still in the hunt for IG. Could I actually get my dream of EI and IG becoming OW members? ^

Qatar Airways CEO considering tie-up with Meridiana

Originally Posted by phol
I don't think FR will be an issue. MOL will do his usual posturing for effect but he has been told he has to sell, he cant sell to anyone else (AF/LH are in no position to buy, and in practice he cant sell to anyone outside the EU) and he knows the IAG offer is the best he's likely to get on a stake he effectively wrote off already.
Yeah, I'm a little less worried about him now after reading how FR's biggest shareholders are in favor of selling the shares to IAG to recoup the price FR paid.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.