Who will be the next oneworld member? + New membership announcements [merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 23, 2016, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JAXBA
FAQ

When is [insert airline here] joining oneworld???
Which airlines are lined up to join?
See list below and
https://www.oneworld.com/member-airlines/overview
Another useful page for official announcements is: https://www.oneworld.com/news-information/oneworldnews

Current members elect (officially announced and currently aligning processes):

WY - Oman Air
Announced 20JUN22, with a target of '2024' - no indication yet when in 2024 this may be. https://www.oneworld.com/news/2022-0...-join-oneworld

Expected members:

FJ - Fiji Airways
Currently the only oneworld Connect member, FJ stated 28FEB24 that they would like to seek full membership and would apply in Q3 2024.Full membership may still take until 2025/2026. #1489 and https://onemileatatime.com/news/fiji-airways-oneworld/

EI - Aer Lingus
EI's new owners, IAG (owners of existing members BA+IB), stated before acquisition that they fully intended EI to rejoin, and have restated the intention since completing the purchase. EI has not yet been publically 'invited' by oneworld but should join eventually. When? When it's announced... When will EI become a full member of Oneworld?
Originally Posted by Willie Walsh via USA Today - 18NOV16
Walsh said it was too early to set a precise date for when Aer Lingus might officially join.
“We don’t have a specific timeline. We’re working as quickly as we can," he said.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/trave...-ceo/94064688/

Potential members:
Well, that's what the discussion below is all about! Heard a rumour? Think oneworld should chase a particular airline to join or switch? Make your case!

Print Wikipost

Who will be the next oneworld member? + New membership announcements [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2015, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Originally Posted by joey_12
Hopefully though, we will see Interjet and Aer Lingus join!

Fingers crossed for Indigo, Westjet, Alaska, Bangkok Airways or even Korean Air too!
Most of these seem like LCCs and so I doubt they would join. The relations between KE and DL seem to be going down, so I think they might defect. Would make my pesos almost useless.
Old Apr 9, 2015, 10:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by NYCRuss
Is there any reasonable chance that CX and/or KA will be allowed to develop hubs in the PRC over the next 10 to 20 years?
It's possible, in theory (e.g. form jv with unaffiliated PRC aoc company, and make MAJOR concessions), BUT they have ZERO incentive to support such.
Old Apr 9, 2015, 12:57 pm

Programs: BA (G), SK (S), KL
Originally Posted by moondog
Shall I say it once again? CX REALLY doesn't want PRC airlines to join OW... and has complete veto power.

So does a member get accepted into oneworld if all Founding members (CX,BA,AA,QF) approve it, or that all members in the whole alliance approve it?
What is the exact rule?

And is there not a chance for CA to join OW seeing their recent cross-shareholding and joint cargo venture???

Thanks
Old Apr 9, 2015, 2:57 pm

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
I am not sure whether it is a "rule", but certainly customary to proceed only if/when all present members agree.
Old Apr 9, 2015, 4:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
What about Meridiana, the Italian airline? I don't know much about it and it might not have a huge route network, but it would partly fill the central European gap left by MALEV.
Old Apr 10, 2015, 11:30 am

Programs: AA 1.6MM EXP; UA GS; SPG LTG,Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Concerto
What about Meridiana, the Italian airline? I don't know much about it and it might not have a huge route network, but it would partly fill the central European gap left by MALEV.
Originally Posted by azriazmi90
For Central Europe, maybe invite Kazakhstan Airlines to join Oneworld so that it can cover Central Europe and Central Asia.
Just how horrible is the Central Europe hole? AB, Niki, and S7, not to mention BA for the main destinations, seem to cover that area reasonably well. Sure it means a connection in Europe rather than JFK-BUD nonstop, but surely the lack of penetration to mainland China seems like a more urgent priority.
Old Apr 10, 2015, 12:01 pm

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
We don't always have a free choice and OW may have to choose from what is available, but the point of this thread is to indulge in wishful thinking. In that spirit I would like to add a Chinese, Indian, and African carrier before another European one.
Old Apr 14, 2015, 12:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
Originally Posted by joey_12
I certainly hope that someone from PRC would join!

Air China/Shenzhen Airlines would be great, and would seem logical assuming the Cathay Pacific cross-shareholding but I fail to understand why they chose to join Star in the first place (Germany-China ties?)! It seems like having them to leave for another alliance would seem kinda unrealistic now after eight years in *A.

As for Hainan Airlines... It would be a nice addition for them to join. I think that if they were to join, some kind of deal would be done with Cathay on HK Airlines and possibly have them be left out oneworld?? I think honestly that although Cathay may be strongly against it, that oneworld is actually holding them from joining oneworld as they may be hoping for one of the Big 3 to come and defect?

In the meanwhile, I think that BA will recruit a smaller airline such as Sichuan Airlines or Juneyao airlines for a shorter term solution whilst they wait for possibly CA to defect??

Im not sure haha

Hopefully though, we will see Interjet and Aer Lingus join!

Fingers crossed for Indigo, Westjet, Alaska, Bangkok Airways or even Korean Air too!
While we're at it, why not include klm and af.
Old Apr 15, 2015, 7:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
JS covers an area where Oneworld doesn't fly.

Old Apr 15, 2015, 8:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
For LH carriers, I'd much prefer that OneWorld stick to those which have real F.
Old Apr 15, 2015, 9:56 am

Programs: QFF NB, AA GLD
Originally Posted by onobond
JS covers an area where Oneworld doesn't fly.

LOL
I'll admit I had to use Airline Route Mapper to find out which airline JS is
And it flies T20s and A81s - can't wait for it to join to fly in those aircraft
Old Apr 16, 2015, 2:17 am

Originally Posted by aktchi
I am not sure whether it is a "rule", but certainly customary to proceed only if/when all present members agree.
no all members do not have to agree..
CX/BA/QF/AA basically have complete power and they have their allies

LAN and JL do whatever AA wants
The European/other Asian follow BA
QF is close to AA

CX just sits on its own, no real ally or minion in OW, CX does have a snobbish attitude, CEO's have said they could buy BA anyday, ME3 will never reach their standards etc

unlike SQ , CX has not allowed itself to just be bullied by the western carriers (LH/UA for Star) (DL/AF) for skyteam

as for Hainan, anyone who wants Hainan to join , needs to get their head examined.
If Hainan cared one bit about Oneworld they would not have saved Hong Kong airlines...

asking Hainan to join is like asking VS to join Oneworld
or Southwest to join Oneworld
or Avianca to join oneworld...

please do not be silly, if Hainan cared one bit they would not have saved and expanded a competitor to a founding Oneworld member...

My future hopes
Indigo
Bangkok Airways ( CX likes them)
LOT
some central American ( or LATAM launch another 1-2 LAN brands in central America)

KE
and hopefully CA ( the only PRC member CX would tolerate)
keep in mind CA was just the back up plan, CX wanted MU and even offered to buy shares ( Shanghai was CX's original home)

of these
Indigo is of high importance, OW needs to trap and grow its FF base there before it becomes too late...

Last edited by Kachjc; Apr 16, 2015 at 2:28 am
Old Apr 16, 2015, 3:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
Originally Posted by pandaperth
LOL
I'll admit I had to use Airline Route Mapper to find out which airline JS is
And it flies T20s and A81s - can't wait for it to join to fly in those aircraft
And many other aircrafts few of us have travelled in, or even seen !

Got this from Wikipedia:
In 2012, Juche Travel Services a company operating tours to the DPRK, launched "aviation enthusiast" tours using chartered Air Koryo flights, which offered visitors the chance to fly on every variety of Air Koryo aircraft within North Korea, the Il-76, Mil-17, An-24, Tu-134 and Tu-154. The international services were operated by inbound and outbound Tu-204 or Il-62.
Old Apr 16, 2015, 3:41 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Kachjc
and hopefully CA ( the only PRC member CX would tolerate)
If you really think about it, as shareholders in each other, both CA and CX benefit from the current status quo, where each basically has a lock on China in their respective alliances.

Yes, OW passengers would love the convenience of being able to fly CA, ZH, etc intra China and as additional options for long haul connections, but this would pull traffic away from CX.
Old Apr 16, 2015, 7:28 am

Originally Posted by moondog
If you really think about it, as shareholders in each other, both CA and CX benefit from the current status quo, where each basically has a lock on China in their respective alliances.

Yes, OW passengers would love the convenience of being able to fly CA, ZH, etc intra China and as additional options for long haul connections, but this would pull traffic away from CX.
Might CX draw passengers from CA if they were to join OW?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.