Who will be the next oneworld member? + New membership announcements [merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 23, 2016, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JAXBA
FAQ

When is [insert airline here] joining oneworld???
Which airlines are lined up to join?
See list below and
https://www.oneworld.com/member-airlines/overview
Another useful page for official announcements is: https://www.oneworld.com/news-information/oneworldnews

Current members elect (officially announced and currently aligning processes):

WY - Oman Air
Announced 20JUN22, with a target of '2024' - no indication yet when in 2024 this may be. https://www.oneworld.com/news/2022-0...-join-oneworld

Expected members:

FJ - Fiji Airways
Currently the only oneworld Connect member, FJ stated 28FEB24 that they would like to seek full membership and would apply in Q3 2024.Full membership may still take until 2025/2026. #1489 and https://onemileatatime.com/news/fiji-airways-oneworld/

EI - Aer Lingus
EI's new owners, IAG (owners of existing members BA+IB), stated before acquisition that they fully intended EI to rejoin, and have restated the intention since completing the purchase. EI has not yet been publically 'invited' by oneworld but should join eventually. When? When it's announced... When will EI become a full member of Oneworld?
Originally Posted by Willie Walsh via USA Today - 18NOV16
Walsh said it was too early to set a precise date for when Aer Lingus might officially join.
“We don’t have a specific timeline. We’re working as quickly as we can," he said.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/trave...-ceo/94064688/

Potential members:
Well, that's what the discussion below is all about! Heard a rumour? Think oneworld should chase a particular airline to join or switch? Make your case!

Print Wikipost

Who will be the next oneworld member? + New membership announcements [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2010, 9:40 pm

Programs: NZ , QF , MK
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
Only if you ignore that KUL is in the northern hemisphere and assuming KUL-Sth America is not treated as touching Africa.
Actually I believe that MH has fifth freedom rights JNB-EZE , so in theory with MH onboard OW you could do a 3 continent totally within the southern hemisphere by routing SYD QF JNB MH EZE QF SYD so only routing SWP-Africa- South America-SWP without going via Asia or crossing the equator into the Northern Hemisphere at all .
Old Aug 14, 2010, 9:49 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Thanks - I didn't think they had traffic rights.
Old Aug 14, 2010, 9:56 pm

Programs: QFF NB, AA GLD
According to both KVS and ITA, MH has traffic rights from both JNB and CPT to EZE
Old Aug 15, 2010, 12:18 am

Programs: BA, SQ, GA
Originally Posted by Himeno
GA is going to Sky. OW needs MH.
The middle east airlines don't want to join any alliance.
That's why I quote "would like". But still GA to skyteam, has not yet decided.I think they are having a second thought.
Old Aug 15, 2010, 12:19 am

GA is going to Sky. OW needs MH.
The middle east airlines don't want to join any alliance.
That's why I quote "would like". But still GA to skyteam, has not yet decided.I think they are having a second thought.
While MH doesn't want to join anny alliance, they made it clear, I read somewhere that they only want to do codeshares. But who knows.
Old Aug 15, 2010, 1:03 am

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
Originally Posted by pandaperth
According to both KVS and ITA, MH has traffic rights from both JNB and CPT to EZE
Didn't look at KVS or ITA, based my assumption solely on ability to purchase such tickets through the MH website, which is good enough for me!
Old Aug 15, 2010, 1:54 am

Programs: QFF
Originally Posted by lokijuh
MH is an interesting one. The regional and middle eastern network of MH would be useful for OW, but the long haul operations (Asia-Europe, Australia-Asia, Australia-Europe) may actually be seen as a threat by CX, QF & BA.
Then have MH, CX, QF and BA get ATI and profit share on AU/AS-EU.
Old Aug 15, 2010, 10:04 pm

Then have MH, CX, QF and BA get ATI and profit share on AU/AS-EU.
KL as oneworld hub is not really ideal, since only 2 OW carrier serving the country. While Indonesia is served by 3 OW carriers and are growing in frequencies. For Ex; CX serve 3 daily flight to CGK, Twice daily to DPS and daily to SBY. While JL with daily flight to CGK and DPS and QF with daily flight to CGK.

Finnair is flying to Singapore in may with a possibility of continuing it's journey to Jakarta after SIN.

And with GA that going to offer it's share publicly and BA who are looking for asian carrier, it might create a possibility. therefore, I would think GA is more favourable to OW than MH.
Old Aug 15, 2010, 11:43 pm

Programs: QFF NB, AA GLD
Didn't look at KVS or ITA, based my assumption solely on ability to purchase such tickets through the MH website, which is good enough for me!
Shucks! Never thought of doing that
Old Aug 16, 2010, 12:33 am

Originally Posted by JMD1989
KL as oneworld hub is not really ideal, since only 2 OW carrier serving the country. While Indonesia is served by 3 OW carriers and are growing in frequencies.
I was going to say the same thing about KL, but there are actually 3 OW carriers there as well, with one less flight per week than CGK . But agree with your sentiment. It would make sense to hub more at SIN, currently with almost 23 flights a day to 12 destinations and IT & AY to come in 2011.

With 44% share in 3K being held by QF already, it just needs a makeover, maybe rebranded as Qantas Asia operated by Jetstar (like BA operated by Comair) and well there's a great solution . Don't think Temasek and SQ would like that though
Old Aug 16, 2010, 12:40 am

Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM, Asiana Club Silver, KE Morning Calm, Hyatt Platinum, Amtrak Select
The really nice bit about MH being in oneworld, XONE3's could be done entirely in the southern hemisphere.
OT, but I always wondered why SA carriers do not want to link up with Africa? It'd be much easier to create RTW itineraries without back tracking SA-EU-Africa

I want to see more SCL/EZE/GRU-CPT/JNB
Old Aug 17, 2010, 12:34 am

I was going to say the same thing about KL, but there are actually 3 OW carriers there as well, with one less flight per week than CGK . But agree with your sentiment. It would make sense to hub more at SIN, currently with almost 23 flights a day to 12 destinations and IT & AY to come in 2011.

With 44% share in 3K being held by QF already, it just needs a makeover, maybe rebranded as Qantas Asia operated by Jetstar (like BA operated by Comair) and well there's a great solution . Don't think Temasek and SQ would like that though
Hmmm, but JAL doesn't fly there anymore right? Only CX n RJ?

While jetstar is a 100% low cost airline, so it's quiet tricky, while if GA join, it is make sense for the indonesian to fly to Singapore from all over indonesia and connect with oneworld carrier in HK or SG to Europe and USA. OW will gain more benefit with it compared when MH join. And GA will enhance Dubai as OW hub as well since they fly to AMS via Dubai, same goes with Singapore with 5 New destinations, Jakarta, Medan, Surabaya, Bali and Saigon.
Old Aug 17, 2010, 1:12 am

Hmmm, but JAL doesn't fly there anymore right? Only CX n RJ?
According to the current OW timetable they do. Just the KIX-SIN-KUL service that was axed.

While jetstar is a 100% low cost airline, so it's quiet tricky, while if GA join, it is make sense for the indonesian to fly to Singapore from all over indonesia and connect with oneworld carrier in HK or SG to Europe and USA. OW will gain more benefit with it compared when MH join. And GA will enhance Dubai as OW hub as well since they fly to AMS via Dubai, same goes with Singapore with 5 New destinations, Jakarta, Medan, Surabaya, Bali and Saigon.
Jetstar would be complicated, but not impossible, given that QF has a big role in running it already. GA actually may fit better with OW than MH as it is more regionally focussed (which is a bit like S7, Kingfisher and Air Berling) and you are right adds new SIN destinations. With regards to Dubai, it still will be a transit point for flights to other destinations in Europe, but isn't the plan to do CGK-AMS direct when the new aircraft arrives?
Old Aug 18, 2010, 2:48 am

[/QUOTE]Jetstar would be complicated, but not impossible, given that QF has a big role in running it already. GA actually may fit better with OW than MH as it is more regionally focussed (which is a bit like S7, Kingfisher and Air Berling) and you are right adds new SIN destinations. With regards to Dubai, it still will be a transit point for flights to other destinations in Europe, but isn't the plan to do CGK-AMS direct when the new aircraft arrives?[/QUOTE]

Yes, they do hv plans to go direct, but I would think they will keep that AMS-DXB route if its profitable. Not to mention this could be a transit point for Indonesian who wish to fly to LHR with BA, so in stead of going through the heavily demanded SIN-LHR route, they could have a new routing, DXB-LHR. A short holiday in DXB would be nice, and it also could help boosting their AMS route for Kingfisher passengers who wish to travel to AMS since they fly to DXB. But, iit seems too good to be true. Since most probably they will join that hopeless SkyTeam. Let's hope they changed their mind! Lol

And one more thing, keep ur fingers crosses for LAN to stay and bring TAM to OW! They are merging!
Old Aug 18, 2010, 2:51 am

[/QUOTE]Jetstar would be complicated, but not impossible, given that QF has a big role in running it already. GA actually may fit better with OW than MH as it is more regionally focussed (which is a bit like S7, Kingfisher and Air Berling) and you are right adds new SIN destinations. With regards to Dubai, it still will be a transit point for flights to other destinations in Europe, but isn't the plan to do CGK-AMS direct when the new aircraft arrives?[/QUOTE]

Yes, they do hv plans to go direct, but I would think they will keep that AMS-DXB route if its profitable. Not to mention this could be a transit point for Indonesian who wish to fly to LHR with BA, so in stead of going through the heavily demanded SIN-LHR route, they could have a new routing, DXB-LHR. A short holiday in DXB would be nice, and it also could help boosting their AMS route for Kingfisher passengers who wish to travel to AMS since they fly to DXB. But, iit seems too good to be true. Since most probably they will join that hopeless SkyTeam. Let's hope they changed their mind! Lol

And one more thing, let's keep our fingers crossed for LAN to stay and bring TAM to OW! They are merging!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.