Who will be the next oneworld member? + New membership announcements [merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 23, 2016, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JAXBA
FAQ

When is [insert airline here] joining oneworld???
Which airlines are lined up to join?
See list below and
https://www.oneworld.com/member-airlines/overview
Another useful page for official announcements is: https://www.oneworld.com/news-information/oneworldnews

Current members elect (officially announced and currently aligning processes):

WY - Oman Air
Announced 20JUN22, with a target of '2024' - no indication yet when in 2024 this may be. https://www.oneworld.com/news/2022-0...-join-oneworld

Expected members:

FJ - Fiji Airways
Currently the only oneworld Connect member, FJ stated 28FEB24 that they would like to seek full membership and would apply in Q3 2024.Full membership may still take until 2025/2026. #1489 and https://onemileatatime.com/news/fiji-airways-oneworld/

EI - Aer Lingus
EI's new owners, IAG (owners of existing members BA+IB), stated before acquisition that they fully intended EI to rejoin, and have restated the intention since completing the purchase. EI has not yet been publically 'invited' by oneworld but should join eventually. When? When it's announced... When will EI become a full member of Oneworld?
Originally Posted by Willie Walsh via USA Today - 18NOV16
Walsh said it was too early to set a precise date for when Aer Lingus might officially join.
“We don’t have a specific timeline. We’re working as quickly as we can," he said.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/trave...-ceo/94064688/

Potential members:
Well, that's what the discussion below is all about! Heard a rumour? Think oneworld should chase a particular airline to join or switch? Make your case!

Print Wikipost

Who will be the next oneworld member? + New membership announcements [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2015, 5:45 pm
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
Originally Posted by IceTrojan
Or perhaps OW should start actively poaching ST and *A members.
There's been talk from time to time that DL is falling out of love with KE, evidence the AA/KE codeshare on DFW-ICN. One can hope.
Old Oct 29, 2015, 6:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Originally Posted by Gardyloo
There's been talk from time to time that DL is falling out of love with KE, evidence the AA/KE codeshare on DFW-ICN. One can hope.
With JL's weakened financial position in the past few years, they may not have the clout anymore to block KE's entry. The thought did occur to me that KE was testing the waters out with that DFW flight and codeshare agreement.

I know GA just joined ST, but they would be a great addition to OW's footprint. I say give it a few years.
Old Oct 29, 2015, 8:55 pm

Programs: QFF
With JL's weakened financial position in the past few years, they may not have the clout anymore to block KE's entry. The thought did occur to me that KE was testing the waters out with that DFW flight and codeshare agreement.

I know GA just joined ST, but they would be a great addition to OW's footprint. I say give it a few years.
Why would JL block a KE entry to oneworld? JL and KE codeshare on almost all of the others Korea-Japan flights.
Old Oct 29, 2015, 9:50 pm

Programs: AA 1.6MM EXP; UA GS; SPG LTG,Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold

Genuinely curious - I'm not clear how GA would add meaningful coverage that MH/CX don't already provide to OW - presumably some destinations in Indonesia, but other than that? Surely MH would see GA as a threat/competitor in SE Asia...

Similar to how JL/KE could be seen to be strong competitors on the North America/Europe - North/East Asia market...
Old Oct 29, 2015, 10:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Himeno
Why would JL block a KE entry to oneworld? JL and KE codeshare on almost all of the others Korea-Japan flights.
Codesharing is one thing. Turning ICN into a OW hub and shifting connections to Seoul would be a tangible financial hit to JL. IMO of course.

Originally Posted by scnzzz
Genuinely curious - I'm not clear how GA would add meaningful coverage that MH/CX don't already provide to OW - presumably some destinations in Indonesia, but other than that? Surely MH would see GA as a threat/competitor in SE Asia...

Similar to how JL/KE could be seen to be strong competitors on the North America/Europe - North/East Asia market...
MH is barely hanging on by a thread. They're almost a non-factor at this point.

I forgot which airlines have veto power on membership. I love JL but I can see a scenario where the other OW airlines would feel it's in the best interest to the alliance to get KE into the fold, even if it's detrimental to JL.

MH... is barely hanging on by a thread.
Old Oct 30, 2015, 5:20 am

Originally Posted by c2h
I was gutted when Mexicana went bust but now if Interjet finally joins OW I'd be more than happy to let go of Aeromexico.
Isn't Interjet a LCC?
Any news of Mexicana coming back?
Old Oct 30, 2015, 8:27 am

Originally Posted by jasonbloom
Isn't Interjet a LCC?
Air Berlin isn't far off that mark... ever been to their "lounge"?
Old Oct 30, 2015, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Isn't Interjet a LCC?
Air Berlin isn't far off that mark... ever been to their "lounge"?
S7 as well.

4O runs a good operation... it's like a Mexican version of WS, and very up-and-coming. With 4O being successful and making a name for itself, and Aeromexico still around, Mexicana probably won't be resurrected.

As an aside, I was at BUD last month, and it was kinda sad to see all the MA historical aircraft on display at their airpark. RIP MA.
Old Oct 30, 2015, 2:24 pm
formerly gemini573

Programs: CX Emerald, WOH Globalist, Marriott Platinum, AA Lifetime Platinum, Virtuoso, Prive, STEPS, STARS
Codesharing is one thing. Turning ICN into a OW hub and shifting connections to Seoul would be a tangible financial hit to JL. IMO of course.

I forgot which airlines have veto power on membership. I love JL but I can see a scenario where the other OW airlines would feel it's in the best interest to the alliance to get KE into the fold, even if it's detrimental to JL.
I believe only the founding members have veto powers; AA, BA, CX, and QF.

As far as JL. They are a great airline. I would rank them among my top 5 of best ow carriers. They simply don't have the network and frequency they once had.

KE offers a bigger network and frequency which JL doesn't have.
Old Nov 2, 2015, 6:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Isn't Interjet a LCC?
No, they won't be back. Because of this, Mexicana is no longer flying. They cease operations in a few years ago.
Old Nov 3, 2015, 12:23 pm

On the note of Interjet, wasn't there a bit of an unfortunate incident in MEX a few days ago? Something about a 320 being tugged right into a jetbridge, taking out the flight deck and the nose cone?
Old Nov 3, 2015, 1:16 pm

Programs: AMEX Platinum, Global Entry, Priority Pass, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
On the note of Interjet, wasn't there a bit of an unfortunate incident in MEX a few days ago? Something about a 320 being tugged right into a jetbridge, taking out the flight deck and the nose cone?
Photos of the incident.
Old Nov 3, 2015, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by 14940674
Ack, one of their SSJs too.
Old Nov 3, 2015, 4:15 pm

Ack, one of their SSJs too.
Sorry, yes, a Sukhoi, not a 320.

That said, if they do actually join OW, hey, you could get to fly on a Russian airliner on this side of the Atlantic using miles For what that's worth!
Old Nov 3, 2015, 4:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Sorry, yes, a Sukhoi, not a 320.

That said, if they do actually join OW, hey, you could get to fly on a Russian airliner on this side of the Atlantic using miles For what that's worth!
I'm holding my breath for a C919

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.