Community
Wiki Posts
Search

RTW ticket, longest routings ?? [On 20 segment rules]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2008, 10:00 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Is this 70,561 mile xONE4 routing the longest now?
Old Mar 14, 2008, 10:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
Originally Posted by number_6
To give an idea of the range of airport taxes, these vary from USD 3 to USD 200 per airport (the latter mostly due to the huge UK Air Passenger Duty, affecting all UK departures as of next Feb). Typical taxes/fees/surcharges for a reasonable routing is about USD 1000. But there is so much variability that these are just "order of magnitude", and routing, airlines, origin and means of ticket issue all affect the cost (often by hundreds of dollars for seemingly similar tickets). All of these aspects have been discussed many times in the Oneworld forum, there is a wealth of info if you dig back (mostly accurate, some is dated as the airlines continually change the rules).

As for cost of taxes for extra segments not making them worthwhile, what about the non-airline costs of such travel (to/from airport, parking, meals, hotel, time)? I've found the taxes to be a minor component of the total cost.
My wife and I have just purchased an AONE4 that starts SFO-LHR-DXB-LHR-VIE-LHR-HKG, so a number of flights into and out of LHR. The total taxes for the entire ticket...$538 each! We don't have any stopovers at LHR, all less than 24hrs but I thought we'd get whacked with massive APD several times over. I was really surprised!
Old Mar 14, 2008, 11:45 pm
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
Is this 70,561 mile xONE4 routing the longest now?
No, I'm sure there are others with more than this one for example.
Old Mar 14, 2008, 11:56 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

amazing what a couple of tweaks do - this one adds 4k to be over 76k miles
Old Mar 15, 2008, 3:47 am

Programs: BA BD SA
Originally Posted by Fraser
My wife and I have just purchased an AONE4 that starts SFO-LHR-DXB-LHR-VIE-LHR-HKG, so a number of flights into and out of LHR. The total taxes for the entire ticket...$538 each! We don't have any stopovers at LHR, all less than 24hrs but I thought we'd get whacked with massive APD several times over. I was really surprised!
Which airline ticketed? AA is famously less extortionate than BA (the worst!) and CX.
Old Mar 15, 2008, 7:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
Originally Posted by Cheetah_SA
Which airline ticketed? AA is famously less extortionate than BA (the worst!) and CX.
It was AA, though with APD in in premium cabins being £80 for longhaul out of LHR and £40 for shorthaul (IIRC) I'm as good as paying zero for all my other taxes and surcharges!

I was expecting the taxes to be nearer $1k p.p.
Old Mar 15, 2008, 7:36 am

Programs: AA EXP
It was AA, though with APD in in premium cabins being £80 for longhaul out of LHR and £40 for shorthaul (IIRC) I'm as good as paying zero for all my other taxes and surcharges!

APD is not payable on connections so I don't quite understand the math about paying zero for the rest.
Old Mar 15, 2008, 5:07 pm

Programs: OW Emerald (AA-EXP, BA-Gold)

Are you sure that you won’t have to pay taxes as you go along. After flying two segments, we had our DONE4 tickets reissued with AA (originally AA e-tickets ex-NRT) and with the extra segments it required that they now be hand written. I arranged the reissue with AA’s RTW desk and they were written up at YVR, consulting over the phone with AA’s RTW and tariff desks. On each of the 18 coupons, they stapled the four line list of taxes and surcharges paid. However, as I started to resume travel a few weeks ago, we have had to pay taxes to JL at YVR and MEX and LA at SCL. Even though I pointed out the list stapled to the coupon, the agent noted that the required airport fee code was not included on either the coupon or on their screen (which they showed me). It has been a big hassle being diverted at check-in to the airline's ticketing counter. I’m keeping the receipts so I can get reimbursed if I am paying double but I’m assuming that AA did not bother to include the fees in the reissue.
Old Mar 15, 2008, 5:43 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Originally Posted by ReelChief
Are you sure that you won’t have to pay taxes as you go along. After flying two segments, we had our DONE4 tickets reissued with AA (originally AA e-tickets ex-NRT) and with the extra segments it required that they now be hand written. I arranged the reissue with AA’s RTW desk and they were written up at YVR, consulting over the phone with AA’s RTW and tariff desks. On each of the 18 coupons, they stapled the four line list of taxes and surcharges paid. However, as I started to resume travel a few weeks ago, we have had to pay taxes to JL at YVR and MEX and LA at SCL. Even though I pointed out the list stapled to the coupon, the agent noted that the required airport fee code was not included on either the coupon or on their screen (which they showed me). It has been a big hassle being diverted at check-in to the airline's ticketing counter. I’m keeping the receipts so I can get reimbursed if I am paying double but I’m assuming that AA did not bother to include the fees in the reissue.
This is a common problem with long tickets: the tax codes do not fit in the allowed area. Agents typically condense some, but when this is not enough they edit the area to make it fit -- dropping some of the tax descriptions. Those are already paid, but not described on the ticket -- so yes, you are paying double. The computation of the tax amount due is separate from the description, and the agent cannot change it, so there is no doubt that the tax has been collected (exception of a couple of fees). But if the agents did not do this, the ticket could only be issued with fewer segments. Usually the agents are smart enough to pick cheap taxes to leave out, but sounds like yours were some bad ones to pick.
Old Mar 15, 2008, 8:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
amazing what a couple of tweaks do - this one adds 4k to be over 76k miles
here for 76,850 starting and ending in the same location.
Old Mar 15, 2008, 9:13 pm

Originally Posted by vxmike
here for 76,850 starting and ending in the same location.
Not valid, because DEL-ORD is transatlantic, not transpacific. With DEL-ORD, or ORD-DEL, in an itinerary an OWE cannot include Europe/ME segments at all.

Last edited by Viajero; Mar 15, 2008 at 9:33 pm
Old Mar 16, 2008, 2:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Viajero
APD is not payable on connections so I don't quite understand the math about paying zero for the rest.
I didn't realise APD didn't apply to connections, I was thinking it had been applied and the taxes on the rest of the itinerary didn't amount to very much at all.
Old Mar 16, 2008, 2:44 pm

I didn't realise APD didn't apply to connections, I was thinking it had been applied and the taxes on the rest of the itinerary didn't amount to very much at all.
Ah, that explains it. Ok, not all surprises are of the nasty variety so enjoy this one.
Old Jun 3, 2008, 10:40 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

As the rules for xONEx have changed from the old maximum of 20 segments, please <click> this new link on the longest routings on 16 segment rules.

This thread is appropriate for xONEx tickets issued before 1 June 2008.

Kiwi Flyer
OW moderator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.