Wiki Posts
Search

RTW ticket, longest routings ?? [On 20 segment rules]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2006, 4:00 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
Does JO have business class? If so then once JL & JO joins one world it will be possible to get 2550 QF SCs I think.
JO flights are a mixed bag ... some are Y only, some are Y/J and a few are Y/J/F. Luckily at least one of the HNL-NRT flights is 3-class. I think HNL to Japan has all 3 kinds of services so you have to pick the flight number carefully.
Old Jul 24, 2006, 4:45 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by number_6
JO flights are a mixed bag ... some are Y only, some are Y/J and a few are Y/J/F. Luckily at least one of the HNL-NRT flights is 3-class. I think HNL to Japan has all 3 kinds of services so you have to pick the flight number carefully.
Thanks. Something else for me to research.
Old Jul 25, 2006, 5:23 am

Programs: QFF Gold, SQ Krisflyer
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
Good find, and lax-ord-anc is longer than lax-dfw-anc. Same QFF SCs but more points.

jfk-sju-lax-ord-anc-ord-sfo
I have taken on board various suggestions and come up with this:

syd-akl-hkg-BOM-HKG-KHI-HKG-JFK-sju-lax-dfw-anc-ord-sfo-LHR-ist-lhr-dxb-LHR-mel-syd

However, as my travel would not be early November, ANC would be out of question. What else would be possible in NA (after JFK) or even in Europe?

f
Old Jul 25, 2006, 5:55 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by foreigner
...However, as my travel would not be early November, ANC would be out of question. What else would be possible in NA (after JFK) or even in Europe?
If you are in NA after 14 December then instrad of LAX-DFW-ANC-ORD-SFO you could do LAX-SJO-LAX, which would free 2 segments that you could save for doing after you get back to Oz.
Old Jul 25, 2006, 6:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

2 stop over's in Oz

syd-akl- - - -LHR-mel-syd
You don't have to finish in SYD. You have 12 months to complete the trip, max of 2 stop overs in Oz and a max 4 segments in Oz. If you want could do syd-akl- - - -LHR-SYD-PER, which would give a stopover in SYD (for months if needed) and a trip to PER (or where ever) to complete the trip. Just pay $$ to get back from PER. MEL-SYD is poor use of a segment:- a short trip and cheap to buy.

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Jul 25, 2006 at 6:30 am
Old Jul 25, 2006, 6:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

From the Great circle mapper
4 segment path: 8970 mi
LAX DFW 1235 mi
DFW ANC 3043 mi
ANC ORD 2846 mi
ORD SFO 1846 mi

2 segment path: 5443 mi
LAX SJO 2722 mi
SJO LAX 2722 mi
Old Jul 25, 2006, 7:09 am

The problem is that ANC and SJO are mutually exclusive services: the former in summer, the latter in winter.
Old Jul 25, 2006, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by Viajero
The problem is that ANC and SJO are mutually exclusive services: the former in summer, the latter in winter.
Also, since AA flights to SJO do not have First Class on AA you would be travelling in D class. As a result they are not as valuable for a Qantas FFer doing an SC run with a DONE4 when that 80 or 100 SC's is compared to (say) LAX-DFW where travel is in A class for 120 SC's.

*Edited to note that foreigner is planning to travel in WHY, so the above is moot.

Last edited by serfty; Jul 25, 2006 at 7:58 am
Old Jul 26, 2006, 12:02 am
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
One thing to look for are "transcon" US domestic single-number flights between city pairs not on the excluded list. For instance, BOS-RNO-LGA is possible with 2 coupons, and TP and SC credit is for the full distance (over 2400 mi each way) even though the flights stop in ORD both ways (but same flight no.) There are a number of such long-distance "direct" flights that can up the miles/points/credits. Get a detailed AA timetable and a good map.

Reno, Sacramento, and Fresno are good candidates for these flights.
Old Jul 26, 2006, 1:07 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
A few years ago there was a 3-sector single-flight number St. Maarten to Hawaii flight (over 6,000 miles and not considered to be a transcon). So sometimes some real gem routes do show up, typically on seasonal service, in the AA timetable. Doubt there will ever be a 6K mile long single flight number in NA again, though.
Old Jul 26, 2006, 4:14 am

Long, single-number AA flights with one or more stops are great for mileage, but if you are just starting on this RTW stuff be aware these particular AA flights come and go (mostly go) regularly. This is one case where it pays to "protect" such flights by dating them. If your coupon is dated, and AA cancels the service, you will be re-routed with a smile, earn more miles than the direct flight you had, and you will be given the chance to pick alternative flights at your convenience, even if the new flights break the OWE rules, all for free. Compare that with the situation of holding an open dated ticket, where if the service is cancelled you are on your own.

Last edited by Viajero; Jul 26, 2006 at 4:25 am
Old Jul 26, 2006, 5:00 am

Programs: QFF Gold, SQ Krisflyer
c o n f u s e d
Old Jul 26, 2006, 5:03 am

c o n f u s e d
If you tell us what it is that you find confusing maybe, just maybe, we will have a chance to help clear things up for you.
Old Jul 26, 2006, 7:49 am
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
Originally Posted by number_6
A few years ago there was a 3-sector single-flight number St. Maarten to Hawaii flight (over 6,000 miles and not considered to be a transcon). So sometimes some real gem routes do show up, typically on seasonal service, in the AA timetable. Doubt there will ever be a 6K mile long single flight number in NA again, though.
So if you rode up front I wonder did the whole thing book into J or F? I'd presume J. No matter for AAers, bad luck for BA or QF FFers.
Old Jul 26, 2006, 1:28 pm

Programs: QF WP, AA EXP
Originally Posted by Viajero
I got lucky with a RTW I booked last November, in that LAX-SJO was still showing in the schedule through June. I had booked LAX-SJO-LAX-DFW-ANC-ORD-LAX, travelling at the end of May for LAX-SJO-LAX, and in the middle of June to ANC. Earlier this year, they decided to drop LAX-SJO in March, and since I wasn't open-dated, I got rerouted with a stop in MIA. This ended up getting me ~1500 additional miles.

The new JFK-SJD flight presents some possibilities, but the frequency isn't very good.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.