Community
Wiki Posts
Search

RTW re-issue concerns (merged thread)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2021, 5:59 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Originally Posted by wingzing
For AA issued tickets March 31, 2022 is the magical date.
The AAgent on the phone told me for my ticket, the last day is March 22, 2022.
After my ticket was re-issued, there has been a cancellation by MH, so I have to call again
When I do, I will raised the March 31 date.
Old Sep 5, 2021, 3:51 am

Programs: MR LTT, BA Gold, AA LTP, UA Silver
For AA issued tickets March 31, 2022 is the magical date.
I was told the same thing back at the end of July when I rebooked my September travel to March, 2022 and with the last flight of my 2019 AONE3 now being on March 28, 2022. FWIW, this corresponds to expiry date listed under Travel Vouchers on this AA web page. I check here periodically to see if it's been extended as I'd prefer to do fall 2022 travel. If the expiry date isn't extended and F routes haven't resumed by March, I'll cancel my remaining 13 segments for a pro-rated refund.

*Travel Vouchers expiring between January 1, 2021 and May 31, 2021 are automatically extended to expire on March 31, 2022. Travel Vouchers expiring between March 1, 2020 and December 31, 2020 may be extended for 1 year by contacting Customer Relations.
Old Sep 5, 2021, 6:08 pm

Programs: BA DL
Originally Posted by aaupgrade
I was told the same thing back at the end of July when I rebooked my September travel to March, 2022 and with the last flight of my 2019 AONE3 now being on March 28, 2022. FWIW, this corresponds to expiry date listed under Travel Vouchers on this AA web page. I check here periodically to see if it's been extended as I'd prefer to do fall 2022 travel. If the expiry date isn't extended and F routes haven't resumed by March, I'll cancel my remaining 13 segments for a pro-rated refund.
Any idea how a pro-rated refund is calculated? Please let us know the outcome. Thanks.
Old Sep 6, 2021, 5:48 am

Programs: MR LTT, BA Gold, AA LTP, UA Silver
Any idea how a pro-rated refund is calculated?
No, I've never had the need to cancel a AONEn. 5% fee to cancel and what is stated in the oneworld Explorer fare rules regarding a partially used ticket:
For partially used transportation the refund if any will be the difference between the fare paid and the fare for the transportation used less the fee specified in (1) above
Depending on how that is calculated, it could be $0 which wouldn't be good.
Old Sep 7, 2021, 6:45 pm

My fear is that “the fare for transportation used” is the sum of point-to-point fares so a half used ticket will be worthless.
Old Sep 7, 2021, 8:16 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
One approach would be to do what AA does when allocating the fare and fees for AA-coded segments. This seems to be pro-rating the total fare and fees by the flight's percentage of total ticketed milage, with some additional adjustments, perhaps to allocate YQ and YR more for some flights than others. Another approach would be to try and determine a fare for the flights flown, which would typically be more than the total fare paid.
Old Sep 8, 2021, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Any idea how a pro-rated refund is calculated? Please let us know the outcome. Thanks.
I believe that different airlines have taken different approaches to applying the voluntary refund provisions.
FWIW, see these threads:
Oneworld flight cancelled during trip no refund.
Passenger rights when a xONEx segment is cancelled

I remain somewhat skeptical about being able to force an airline to issue a pro rata refund based upon mileage flown versus the mileage of the original xonex ticket when seeking a voluntary refund. The applicable rule states:
For partially used transportation the refund if any will be the difference between the fare paid and the fare for the transportation used less the fee specified in (1) above.
The fare paid was for a xonex ticket with significant restrictions and requirements. The fare for the transportation used would be a fare for a ticket that could not be issued under the rtw ticket rules; the only fares for the routing would probably be point to point fares. Of course, this all would depend upon the jurisdiction where the ticket is issued and how amenable certain airlines are to issuing a pro rata mileage based refund. I have heard of CX and QR issuing such refunds in the last year or two.
Old Dec 7, 2021, 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by allset2travel
The AAgent on the phone told me for my ticket, the last day is March 22, 2022.
After my ticket was re-issued, there has been a cancellation by MH, so I have to call again
When I do, I will raised the March 31 date.
Just an updated data point. I emailed to AA Customer Relations (Service) to ask for an extension. 2 weeks later, I received an email that OK'd the extension of my ticket to Dec 31, 2022. It also advised me not to let ticket expire before calling RTW desk to make changes.
Old Mar 25, 2022, 11:21 am

Originally Posted by allset2travel
Just an updated data point. I emailed to AA Customer Relations (Service) to ask for an extension. 2 weeks later, I received an email that OK'd the extension of my ticket to Dec 31, 2022. It also advised me not to let ticket expire before calling RTW desk to make changes.
Lucky you. We are near the end of a RTW that ends in Japan. We planned to stay a week in Japan before taking an NRT-BOS award flight to get home to BOS.

Our March 30 HEL-HND flight on JAL was just cancelled. Even if it operated as scheduled, we cannot enter Japan as “leisure” travelers. AA will not extend the ticket validity beyond March 31. AA says the remainder of our RTW ticket is worthless and we have to find our own way home from Europe. They are very apologetic about stranding us, but say there is nothing they can do.

BTW, I e-mailed AA customer Relations about a month ago asking about an extension. Every week I get this reply:

Thank you again for contacting American Airlines Customer Relations. This is an automated acknowledgment, to share with you that our responses may take a little longer due to our current volume. Please rest assured that we will get back to you as soon as possible. We appreciate your patience.
Old Mar 25, 2022, 3:02 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Lucky you. We are near the end of a RTW that ends in Japan. We planned to stay a week in Japan before taking an NRT-BOS award flight to get home to BOS.

Our March 30 HEL-HND flight on JAL was just cancelled. Even if it operated as scheduled, we cannot enter Japan as “leisure” travelers. AA will not extend the ticket validity beyond March 31. AA says the remainder of our RTW ticket is worthless and we have to find our own way home from Europe. They are very apologetic about stranding us, but say there is nothing they can do.

BTW, I e-mailed AA customer Relations about a month ago asking about an extension. Every week I get this reply:

Thank you again for contacting American Airlines Customer Relations. This is an automated acknowledgment, to share with you that our responses may take a little longer due to our current volume. Please rest assured that we will get back to you as soon as possible. We appreciate your patience.
You might try calling the ATW desk and asking about a reroute or delay, as Japan is opening up in stages, so later this year should be doable. Mention that other ATW tickets have been extended to 31 Dec 22.

If that doesn't work, consider filing a complaint with the DoT. That will cause the issue to get escalated to a higher level at AA. See @bedelman's helpful info at https://www.benedelman.org/dot-complaints/
Old Mar 25, 2022, 3:25 pm

wingzing, a cancellation of any flight on your itinerary entitles you to a involuntary refund of all unflown segments. Refund should be on a pro rate basis, most obviously based on miles flown relative to miles ticketed. You have a lot of miles left -- HEL-HND-BOS is a long way. Would you want that refund?

I recommend getting AA's position in writing or at least in a recorded phone call which you can transcribe. Sounds like AA is very much out of line in claiming your ticket is now "worthless".

To me this is a legal matter, not a customer relations matter. Agree with anabolism's suggestion of a formal complaint to DOT. Your credit card issuer could also help you get a refund, if that's the remedy you want, based on cancellation of ticketed flights.
Old Mar 25, 2022, 6:52 pm

Thanks. I will follow up. I have applied for a refund, but am not optimistic that AA will find value in the remaining sectors.

I just received a reply from AA Customer Relations:We've received your request to extend the validity of your ticket. We are pleased to let you know that we've just updated our COVID-19 ticketing policy to offer qualifying ticket extensions to AAdvantage® members. Please see below for the updated policy and to see if your tickets qualify for an extension.

New and existing AAdvantage members will be eligible for an extension of ticket validity if:
  • Your ticket was purchased directly through American Airlines between January 1, 2020 - December 31, 2021 with a changeable fare.
  • You will rebook your trip by September 30, 2022, with travel to be completed by December 31, 2022.
  • Non-changeable Basic Economy tickets with a purchase date between January 1, 2020 – February 29, 2020 for travel on or after March 1, 2020 can call our Reservations office to rebook.
  • Basic Economy tickets with an issue date March 1, 2020 – December 31, 2021 can call our Reservations office to rebook.
  • Excludes Basic Economy fare tickets issued after April 1, 2021 with a North America, South America, or Asia travel origin.
  • If your ticket was issued by a Travel Agency or third-party booking site, please contact that booking source for extensions and rebooking options.
If you are an AAdvantage member and your ticket meets these requirements, we will automatically extend your ticket as noted above. When you are ready to book a trip, call us at 800-433-7300. Be sure to have your ticket number available when you call. Please note that any fare difference, ticket restrictions, and applicable ticketing fees will still apply. We'll advise you accordingly when you make your new arrangements.

My ticket was purchased before 2020 so the extension does not apply.
Old Jun 20, 2022, 7:37 pm

Thanks. I will follow up. I have applied for a refund, but am not optimistic that AA will find value in the remaining sectors.

I just received a reply from AA Customer Relations:We've received your request to extend the validity of your ticket. We are pleased to let you know that we've just updated our COVID-19 ticketing policy to offer qualifying ticket extensions to AAdvantage® members. Please see below for the updated policy and to see if your tickets qualify for an extension.

New and existing AAdvantage members will be eligible for an extension of ticket validity if:
  • Your ticket was purchased directly through American Airlines between January 1, 2020 - December 31, 2021 with a changeable fare.
  • You will rebook your trip by September 30, 2022, with travel to be completed by December 31, 2022.
  • Non-changeable Basic Economy tickets with a purchase date between January 1, 2020 – February 29, 2020 for travel on or after March 1, 2020 can call our Reservations office to rebook.
  • Basic Economy tickets with an issue date March 1, 2020 – December 31, 2021 can call our Reservations office to rebook.
  • Excludes Basic Economy fare tickets issued after April 1, 2021 with a North America, South America, or Asia travel origin.
  • If your ticket was issued by a Travel Agency or third-party booking site, please contact that booking source for extensions and rebooking options.
If you are an AAdvantage member and your ticket meets these requirements, we will automatically extend your ticket as noted above. When you are ready to book a trip, call us at 800-433-7300. Be sure to have your ticket number available when you call. Please note that any fare difference, ticket restrictions, and applicable ticketing fees will still apply. We'll advise you accordingly when you make your new arrangements.

My ticket was purchased before 2020 so the extension does not apply.
I was never given the list of terms and conditions as you listed in your post.

I double checked my record, my purchased date was March 30, 2019; and received email confirmation on April 02, 2019. My record of extension was an email from customer relation.
That said, AA later emailed me telling me to call. I did. Agent said they can no longer keep my booking in my account (not sure what technicality that was). But they assure me they can retrieve it with original Record Locator. Since then, I had not reached out to AA for re-issue. I'll wait till end of this year, maybe.
Old Jun 21, 2022, 6:41 am

Programs: QF WP
AA flatly refused to extend our last sector MEL-HND of our DONE4 from 2019 beyond December 2022 even though its almost impossible to book a flight and then when asking for a refund of the unused sector was told the ticket had expired …....🤬🤬….anyone had any luck in extending beyond December 2022?
Old Jun 25, 2023, 7:53 pm

Programs: BA Gold
I have a question regarding a ticketed points change.

One part of my DONE4 (ticketed by AA RTW desk) is MEL-SYD-LAX on the same day. I wish to change to the non-stop MEL-LAX flight on the same day (plenty of D class available currently). When I called to make the change they tried to charge over $1,000 in additional YQ/YR from Qantas on top of the $125 fee for changing ticketed points. Am I correct in thinking that if I wait until I've flown the first sector of the trip, then if I am still able to make the change it will simply be the $125 fee as the ticket does not require re-pricing?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.