Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AONE4 from Khartoum

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2012, 2:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plt
Wirelessly posted (Blackberry8700c: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; Android 4.1.2; GT-I9300 Build/JZO54K) AppleWebKit/535.19 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/18.0.1025.166 Mobile Safari/535.19)

In Amman now at the transfer desk - they said it would be fine to transit without visa. Will ask on the ground soon.
Old Dec 15, 2012, 11:11 pm

Originally Posted by skunker
The reason is to minimize exposure. For your home airport try RJ in J for ~$2,600 r/t.
Great advice especially for 'mistake' fares, a bit less for merely 'good deal' tho I"ve long believed that if FT/OW/xONEx discussions hadn't existed AONE3 would still be usd $6-8k from a variety of places.

In any case I'm not clever enough to make use of your kind suggestion (likewise have never gotten a glimmer of what the YQ-dump folks are on about), but thanks for trying.
Old Dec 16, 2012, 2:02 am

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by JohnAx
(likewise have never gotten a glimmer of what the YQ-dump folks are on about)
Yeah, me neither. I just try to avoid booking BA codes and if it's BA metal try to find a codeshare.
Old Dec 16, 2012, 4:35 am

Programs: QF Gold LTG (ow Saph), HHon Silver, Marriot Gold
' tho I"ve long believed that if FT/OW/xONEx discussions hadn't existed AONE3 would still be usd $6-8k from a variety of places. (
Maybe, maybe not, the revenue managers will eventually find the fares, though I do agree a sudden increase in fares from KRT no doubt rose a flag somewhere, albeit the other starting point somewhat south has still not been touched
Old Dec 16, 2012, 6:08 am

Originally Posted by moa999
Maybe, maybe not, the revenue managers will eventually find the fares, though I do agree a sudden increase in fares from KRT no doubt rose a flag somewhere, albeit the other starting point somewhat south has still not been touched
Point being not that the revenue managers wouldn't notice a surge in business and react appropriately, but that without the open discussion and assistance to wannabe travelers (which I'm freely part of, when I can help) there would have been less of a surge thus nothing for the managers to manage.
Old Dec 16, 2012, 9:18 am

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Great advice especially for 'mistake' fares, a bit less for merely 'good deal' tho I"ve long believed that if FT/OW/xONEx discussions hadn't existed AONE3 would still be usd $6-8k from a variety of places.

In any case I'm not clever enough to make use of your kind suggestion (likewise have never gotten a glimmer of what the YQ-dump folks are on about), but thanks for trying.
There is no trick for the fare I posted. KRT-AMM-JFK/ORD-LAX return. Pulls up on Kayak for $2,393.
Old Dec 16, 2012, 12:15 pm

Wirelessly posted (Blackberry8700c: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; Android 4.1.2; GT-I9300 Build/JZO54K) AppleWebKit/535.19 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/18.0.1025.166 Mobile Safari/535.19)

Here now in KRT. Trip went very smoothly. However I still couldn't figure out how one would do transit wo a visa as no one I met spoke English enough to tell me. The airport is modern and not bad at all for sub saharan Africa.
Old Dec 16, 2012, 11:39 pm

There is no trick for the fare I posted. KRT-AMM-JFK/ORD-LAX return. Pulls up on Kayak for $2,393.
I missed the KRT origination. Pain enough in positioning and immigration issues that I dragged my feet even for a super-cheap RTW fare, no interest for a so-so biz r/t. If not absolutely tied to OW miles accumulation, might as well take a ride with TK for about the same price (some days).
Old Dec 16, 2012, 11:51 pm

In the lounge in Amman now post Khartoum. The process was rather easy for my one and night stay (aside from the visa beforehand). Khartoum is about average for African cities. Meroe in the north makes a lovely and very safe day trip. I ate some nice goat and chicken for dinner and was back at the airport this am. No problems at all though it helped to have printed itineraries beforehand.
The Germany Guesthouse was also excellent with pickup to/from KRT as well as sorting my day trip.
US bound now for the 14 hour AMM-ORD flight.
Old Dec 17, 2012, 3:58 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by BobbySteel

In the lounge in Amman now post Khartoum......
Thanks for the comments on the KRT visit. I kind of wish I had taken the plunge for the ticket ex KRT just for the adventure. Maybe next time
Old Dec 17, 2012, 10:23 am

Programs: Lots of faux metal
I missed the KRT origination. Pain enough in positioning and immigration issues that I dragged my feet even for a super-cheap RTW fare, no interest for a so-so biz r/t. If not absolutely tied to OW miles accumulation, might as well take a ride with TK for about the same price (some days).
Which is way I stated in my orginal post:

If you are finishing up a ONE and need a flight home there are some decent J and F fares available.
I, too, have no intention of mobilizing to KRT for this fare, but $2,400 for over 18,000 miles in J isn't usually considered so-so. Compared to the now gone AONE maybe.

I'm just trying to help out anyone that purchased via the online portal and had to finish in KRT to get it to ticket.
Old Dec 17, 2012, 5:33 pm

Which is way I stated in my orginal post:

I, too, have no intention of mobilizing to KRT for this fare, but $2,400 for over 18,000 miles in J isn't usually considered so-so. Compared to the now gone AONE maybe.

I'm just trying to help out anyone that purchased via the online portal and had to finish in KRT to get it to ticket.
The main issue in my mind is that the RJ business product isn't really worth paying that much for. Their A320/A319 is fine, but not much better seat than AA domestic, just with more space. Their longhaul is decent on the A340, but I'd rather save my money for biz on a 777 or such.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 6:57 pm

Originally Posted by BobbySteel

In the lounge in Amman now post Khartoum. The process was rather easy for my one and night stay (aside from the visa beforehand). Khartoum is about average for African cities. Meroe in the north makes a lovely and very safe day trip. I ate some nice goat and chicken for dinner and was back at the airport this am. No problems at all though it helped to have printed itineraries beforehand.
The Germany Guesthouse was also excellent with pickup to/from KRT as well as sorting my day trip.
US bound now for the 14 hour AMM-ORD flight.
Great work, thanks for posting!
Old Dec 18, 2012, 7:02 pm

So, a quick question around changing an issued DONEx ...

I wanted to make a minor change to the routing of my DONE4 ex-KRT, and I spoke to the RTW desk who advised:

1. I can make date & time changes free of charge (which I knew)

2. If I want to make ANY routing changes before my first departure, the whole ticket will be re-priced and the new ex-KRT fare will be applicable (in addition to the $125 service fee)

3. If I make the routing change after my first departure, taxes will be recalculated however the original fare price will be honored (and of course, the $125 service fee will still be applicable).

Interestingly, he did recommend NOT making any routing changes. He was aware of the pricing exception, and that AA was honoring these tickets, however he seemed to imply that it wouldn't be a good idea for pricing/accounting to have these tickets come through their desk again.

Thoughts?
Old Dec 18, 2012, 7:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by uproared
So, a quick question around changing an issued DONEx ...

I wanted to make a minor change to the routing of my DONE4 ex-KRT, and I spoke to the RTW desk who advised:

1. I can make date & time changes free of charge (which I knew)

2. If I want to make ANY routing changes before my first departure, the whole ticket will be re-priced and the new ex-KRT fare will be applicable (in addition to the $125 service fee)

3. If I make the routing change after my first departure, taxes will be recalculated however the original fare price will be honored (and of course, the $125 service fee will still be applicable).

Interestingly, he did recommend NOT making any routing changes. He was aware of the pricing exception, and that AA was honoring these tickets, however he seemed to imply that it wouldn't be a good idea for pricing/accounting to have these tickets come through their desk again.

Thoughts?
1. Correct.
2. Correct. Trying to alter the routing before you begin your xonex will result in repricing and reissuing of the ticket. Since the price has changed this is a good reason not to change the ticket until you begin flying.
3. Correct.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.