Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Northwest WorldPerks
Reload this Page >

Tracking Limited (H2O only) or No Predeparture Drink Flights in FC (Domestic)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tracking Limited (H2O only) or No Predeparture Drink Flights in FC (Domestic)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2006, 8:57 am

Programs: DL 0.22 MM, AA 0.34 MM, PC Plat Amb, Hertz #1 GC 5*
Originally Posted by heasdstrong
Neither. Pre-departure drinks are not in our contract.
Logic-loop issues.

If pre-departure drinks are not in the contract, then how can NW state that there will be pre-departure drinks? Does that service need to be called out, in the contract?

Are post-departure drinks in the contract? Do those need to be called out?

Or is this an FA (unknowingly) doing work-to-rule?

Steve B.
Old Dec 20, 2006, 11:08 am

There are a lot things that are not in the contract that I do (ie. check emergency equipment, check bags at the boarding doors, hang coats).

A lot of F/As are irritated that we don't get credit (pay or otherwise) for doing work prior to the door being closed. Many are choosing not to do pre-departure drinks.
Old Dec 20, 2006, 12:21 pm

There are a lot things that are not in the contract that I do (ie. check emergency equipment, check bags at the boarding doors, hang coats).

A lot of F/As are irritated that we don't get credit (pay or otherwise) for doing work prior to the door being closed. Many are choosing not to do pre-departure drinks.

headstrong -

I know you're just trying to get people to understand the mentality of "some" flight attendants who are (justifiably) annoyed at the company, but personally I don't understand how withholding service from the passengers gets us anywhere. We never got paid for boarding duties. If I bid a galley position I don't get paid "extra" for filling ice buckets, making coffee and juice, etc. Maybe I shouldn't bother doing any of that since I don't get "paid" for it. People who aren't doing their job are just giving the company ammunition.

To me, pre-depature service is part of the basics. With more and longer work days and shorter layovers, I find myself doing less in the "above and beyond" department - because it takes a lot of energy just to get through the 13-hour day - but I still feel obligated to meet the basic service expectations.
Old Dec 20, 2006, 12:26 pm

I agree and I don't count myself in the camp as those not doing anything. In fact, I do refills on the ground. Having said that there are times I don't do pre-departures. Last weekend we boarded a full 757 at door one and it just makes no sense to fight trying to get around people boarding for the sake of drinks. If there is a break in boarding, I'll do what I can but it's not worth it to work upstream so to speak.
Old Dec 20, 2006, 2:43 pm

Last weekend we boarded a full 757 at door one and it just makes no sense to fight trying to get around people boarding for the sake of drinks.
757 is the only domestic a/c that regularly boards from a door other than door 1. Are you saying it makes no sense to do pre-departure drink service on the DC-9, 319, and 320?
Old Dec 20, 2006, 2:57 pm
Suspended

Hard to Move

Originally Posted by SchmutzigMSP
757 is the only domestic a/c that regularly boards from a door other than door 1. Are you saying it makes no sense to do pre-departure drink service on the DC-9, 319, and 320?
In my experience, when the FC cabin is crowded with embarking passengers, the FA's will do their best to provide pre-departure bevvy service when there is a lull in the pax flow. In cases where it is very difficult for a FA to swim upstream so to speak, I've found that many times the FA's will do a quick pre-departure bevvy service close to the door-closing time. I'm speaking mainly about FC flights flown on CO, but most recently I've taken 2 FC flights on NW from LAX-MEM.
Old Dec 20, 2006, 4:24 pm

Originally Posted by SchmutzigMSP
The DC9, A320 and A319 have 16 seats up front vs. 22-24 on the 757.

So yes, the 757 presents additional challenges when the jetbridge is positioned at door one. If the flight is full, some F/As don't want to attempt a beverage service after all the back-and-forth involved in hanging all the coats. I'm amazed at how many passengers will practically crawl over me or push past me when I'm trying to get down the aisle with a tray of drinks - bet you wouldn't want to be the one whose lap it all gets dumped in when I get jostled really well!

But then, NWA will cover your cleaning costs so I guess it doesn't matter, right?
Old Dec 20, 2006, 4:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by xfa617
The DC9, A320 and A319 have 16 seats up front vs. 22-24 on the 757.

So yes, the 757 presents additional challenges when the jetbridge is positioned at door one. If the flight is full, some F/As don't want to attempt a beverage service after all the back-and-forth involved in hanging all the coats. I'm amazed at how many passengers will practically crawl over me or push past me when I'm trying to get down the aisle with a tray of drinks - bet you wouldn't want to be the one whose lap it all gets dumped in when I get jostled really well!

But then, NWA will cover your cleaning costs so I guess it doesn't matter, right?

I can totally understand those situations. Swimming upstream looks like a miserable experience. I must say though, I have been on a number of 757's boarding door 2 lately and still no predep service. I think some FA's are fed up and showing it, but as someone correclty pointed out, that only gives mgmt more ammo in the labor dispute.
Old Dec 20, 2006, 4:41 pm

Programs: Delta, Marriott, *wood
NW1156 IAH - MSP Wed 12/20: no preflight beverage service. However, imho it's not necessary.

gpg
Old Dec 22, 2006, 7:23 am

Programs: DL 1MM, UA 1K, PC Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, Marrott Silver
NW439 TPA-MSP 12/21/06
No Pre-Flight Beverage offerred (not even water)

This flight was delayed by about 1.5 hr due to weather delays on inbound aircraft so they were working for a fast turnaround.
Still took about 45 min.
Old Dec 22, 2006, 10:40 am

Location: NYC, ROC, HNL, PEN, BKK, KUL, SIN (check out http://my.flightmemory.com/kkua)
Programs: DL Diamond charter member; 2 million miler (45% from NWA, 2MM achieved 5/2018)
21DEC LGA-MEM, NW629 preflight beverage (delayed departure)
21DEC MEM-TPA, NW878 nothing preflight
Old Dec 22, 2006, 11:18 am

Programs: nwa/delta plat intercontinental r.a.
12/21 mem-lax 855am flight -- nothing offered in f.c. pre-departure (despite 20 minute delay too!)
in nwa's defense, the rest of the flight went well and service was very good.
Old Dec 22, 2006, 2:07 pm

Programs: DM , MM ,Natl-Exec Elite,HH diamond,SPG gold
No drink, and missed connection

Today MSP to DTW 10:18am No predeparture service and we were 1/2 late b/c overbooked. Myself and four other passengers then ran to our gate at DTW, plane still there, cargo doors opened but jetway closed. GA says he'll see if he can get us on plane, another tells him, don't tell people anything, they can't get on. Plane still at gate 10 minutes later.
I'll give CR their due though. I called while plane still there, they provided me with 200.00 ECV, but I'm still in DTW 3 hours later!!
Old Dec 22, 2006, 2:52 pm

Programs: DL DM/ 2MM, BA Silver, Amtrak Select Executive, SPG Life Plat/Amb, Fairmont Preferred
Dec 21 MSP-MCI flight 1531 no drinks in FC even though we ended up on the ground for an hour prior to take off. Request was denied because we're "about to take off" even though we did not even pull back from the gate for another 20 minutes.
Old Dec 23, 2006, 12:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
NW 1461 MSP-STL Dec. 22, scheduled for 7:30, finally took to the air at 8:25 p.m., no predeparture service in F whatsoever although the other FA did run water back to several people in Y.

Plane was rescheduled later to give late connections a chance, then further delayed for de-icing. Once in the air, the FA in F was still slow to get started; once started, I'd give him a B-.

Later (12/27): Talk-To-Us email netted an apology & promise of 4K miles yesterday.

Last edited by MikeMpls; Dec 27, 2006 at 10:38 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.