Search

Coronavirus in Sweden

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2023, 10:54 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by nacho
I totally agree with you that once the vaccine is available to everyone, that place should open. Asia and Australia have been really insisting on not opening until this year which is pretty insane.

I also said that for me it is to avoid overburdening the hospital and to get a choice to stay home if one feels the need to. Yes we all die from something but there is no reason to bombard our already seriously diminished healthcare system. The Danish government should never spend that kind of $ to do massive testing - testing for Covid was like a sport in Denmark (at least twice a week during peak time and then whenever there's a positive case). Instead they should invest in better resources when something like this happens again so we don't need to worry about burdening the healthcare system, and we know that we will be well taken care of in case we got hit by it.

From what I heard about CDC's advice is their recommendation is 100% related to burden to healthcare, if they deem an area where there is a risk to overflow their healthcare capacity they would like people to wear mask. I'm not a mask person (I don't like the way that people who use them don't use them properly and I don't know how much masks have been disposed and it's not recyclable) and I think their advice should be to warn the risk group about a possible outbreak and give them options on how to deal with it. BTW, UA crews on my flights were all wearing masks.

Yeah I was chatting with a mum of my kid's classmates during the lockdown, she was working from home and she said she needed her kids to go to school so that she could work in peace, and that was her reason wanting the schools to stay open so she can "park" her kids there (this term was from another mum who was a teacher). It wasn't fun that they couldn't go to school and it's true that they learned less than being at school (that's because we are in Scandinavia so there is 0 enforcement to do homework). My kids were at the age that their social lives were already online, I could hear my little gamer chatting with classmates all the time. At least DK was really quick at getting everyone vaccinated so we can go back to "Business as usual" before a lot of countries.

The reason for the Swedish government to force kids to schools is keep them away from the street and give them a warm lunch. Basically, the government thinks all parents are poor, stupid and don't care about their children. My kids were starving every single day when I picked them up and when Danish parents admiring about the free school lunch in Sweden I immediately tell them what it was like - limited budget and you need to cook for everyone (Hindu, Muslims, Vegans, Vegetarians etc.) and they have to cook something that everyone can eat so that they can save $, so what do you think they serve? They all said, "that's not good" and I said "Yep".
I was told by someone in the local government across the bridge from CPH who should know this that they spend about 14 SEK per pupil meal. I have no idea what kind of weird budgeting they do to arrive at that cost per meal but they indeed did keep schools open in part to make sure kids had access to cheap food and provide a safe place for kids to be parked by parents/guardians with different needs/interests.
Old Oct 5, 2023, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by GUWonder
I was told by someone in the local government across the bridge from CPH who should know this that they spend about 14 SEK per pupil meal. I have no idea what kind of weird budgeting they do to arrive at that cost per meal but they indeed did keep schools open in part to make sure kids had access to cheap food and provide a safe place for kids to be parked by parents/guardians with different needs/interests.
When my kids were in a school run by Malmo stad, the food was horrible (my kids described it to me and it was pretty gross) that the majority of kids went to the pantry or outside to buy snacks. 14kr per pupil is a recent figure? I saw Malmo cutting school budget like crazy back since 2019 - they had a plan on how much to cut. The budget for school is already real tight and I don't know where they can cut. I have no new data as this is not relevant to me anymore fortunately.
Old Oct 5, 2023, 11:23 am

Programs: American Airlines (Executive Platinum), Hyatt (Globalist), Hilton (Diamond), IHG (Diamond)
There is no indication that Sweden’s school kids without a “lockdown” have turned out to have more stable or better health outcomes than Denmark’s school kids. The mental health, drug use and crime problems involving kids has had a worse increase in Sweden following the pandemic than it has had in Denmark when even controlling for demographic background.
Somehow, Sweden is the only place on the planet where lockdowns or no lockdowns had zero impact on mental health? Seems far-fetched.
Old Oct 5, 2023, 11:25 am

Programs: American Airlines (Executive Platinum), Hyatt (Globalist), Hilton (Diamond), IHG (Diamond)
How can you compare accidents to children passing the virus to risk groups? This is like comparing an apple to an orange.
It appears you learned nothing about relative risks during Covid.

A 50 years old teacher who has a weak lung still had to go to teach a bunch of kids - basically that's like a virus central. I know teachers were told either they come to school or they quit.

Did I say I want everyone to do that? I said I would do that again for myself. I want the choice to self-isolate and clear information about the virus (not like it's just a flu) - and now it doesn't matter anymore as we are out of Sweden. If you want to further burden the already overloaded healthcare system, that's your choice.
You're right. The flu in 2019 had a HIGHER fatality rate for people under 60 than Covid in 2020.
Old Oct 5, 2023, 11:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by js1993
It appears you learned nothing about relative risks during Covid.

You're right. The flu in 2019 had a HIGHER fatality rate for people under 60 than Covid in 2020.
Obviously we have a different opinion about this. It depends on who you trust or take the information from - there are a group of concerned scientists in Sweden who formed a forum and wanting the Swedish government to do something.

Some Americans firmly believe that the Covid vaccine contains a 5G chip (LMAO).

Of course the flu has a higher fatality rate in 2019, in 2020 most of the world was shut down and we were all so clean that we sprayed our hand with sanitizers every time we came across one. The flu probably has a higher fatality rate now too since everyone is back to their oldselves.
Old Oct 5, 2023, 12:26 pm

Obviously we have a different opinion about this. It depends on who you trust or take the information from - there are a group of concerned scientists in Sweden who formed a forum and wanting the Swedish government to do something.
The Experts™ were wrong about Covid from start to finish, but you're still trusting them?

Of course the flu has a higher fatality rate in 2019, in 2020 most of the world was shut down and we were all so clean that we sprayed our hand with sanitizers every time we came across one. The flu probably has a higher fatality rate now too since everyone is back to their oldselves.
Wait, you're aware that the flu had a higher per capita fatality rate in 2019 for people under 60 than Covid in 2020, and you believe the "flu probably has a higher fatality rate now too since everyone is back to their old selves"? Why aren't you pulling your kids out of school and calling for lockdowns?
Old Oct 5, 2023, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
The Experts™ were wrong about Covid from start to finish, but you're still trusting them?

Wait, you're aware that the flu had a higher per capita fatality rate in 2019 for people under 60 than Covid in 2020, and you believe the "flu probably has a higher fatality rate now too since everyone is back to their old selves"? Why aren't you pulling your kids out of school and calling for lockdowns?
The question is not what was the flu fatality rate when it is running largely unchecked, vs what was the covid-19 fatality rate when we did our outmost to try and restrict the spread. The question is what was the covid-19 and flu rates while there was restrictions and full focus on preventing spread.

Do I want a lockdown for flu? No. Am I more focused on some of the simple preventative measure that we got used to during covid to reduce my risk of flu? For sure. Would I want another lockdown for another pandemic? Hard to say until we know the specifics

One of the biggest failure, was the European health authorities, being on TV in late Jan early Feb 2020 confidently saying "It is unlikely to come here, but if it does we are prepared and can manage it to avoid wide spread in society". I wonder how those interviews featured in their annual employee performance reviews.
GUWonder likes this.
Old Oct 5, 2023, 2:21 pm

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
The question is not what was the flu fatality rate when it is running largely unchecked, vs what was the covid-19 fatality rate when we did our outmost to try and restrict the spread. The question is what was the covid-19 and flu rates while there was restrictions and full focus on preventing spread.

Do I want a lockdown for flu? No. Am I more focused on some of the simple preventative measure that we got used to during covid to reduce my risk of flu? For sure. Would I want another lockdown for another pandemic? Hard to say until we know the specifics
We're talking about per capita rates, so none of that matters.
Old Oct 5, 2023, 7:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
We're talking about per capita rates, so none of that matters.
Of course it matters. But I'll probably not gain much by explaining that further, so I'll leave here.
Old Oct 5, 2023, 7:53 pm

[Forget it.]
Old Oct 6, 2023, 8:49 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
The Swedish “expert” was Tegnell. He didn’t do the country any big favor, and so much for all that pandemic period talk of Sweden’s “openness” during the pandemic setting up Sweden’s kids or its economy for success relative to its neighbors.

When my kids were in a school run by Malmo stad, the food was horrible (my kids described it to me and it was pretty gross) that the majority of kids went to the pantry or outside to buy snacks. 14kr per pupil is a recent figure? I saw Malmo cutting school budget like crazy back since 2019 - they had a plan on how much to cut. The budget for school is already real tight and I don't know where they can cut. I have no new data as this is not relevant to me anymore fortunately.
2023 figure, and it also happens to be the one they are sharing with the schools’ principals. Money was arguably one of the main drivers with Sweden being as “open” as it was during the pandemic. What’s the Swedish version of “penny wise, pound foolish”? Results show up with the school kids.

Last edited by GUWonder; Oct 6, 2023 at 9:20 am
Old Oct 6, 2023, 1:57 pm

The Swedish “expert” was Tegnell. He didn’t do the country any big favor, and so much for all that pandemic period talk of Sweden’s “openness” during the pandemic setting up Sweden’s kids or its economy for success relative to its neighbors.
Sounds like things in Sweden would be a lot worse with a lockdown. It's bizarre to argue that Sweden might have been the only place on the planet where lockdown or no lockdown had no impact on mental health, learning, etc. Even the most pro-lockdown people in the U.S. now acknowledge the massive negative impact the lockdowns had on mental health and education.
Old Oct 6, 2023, 3:33 pm

Programs: AS 75K (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
Wait, you're aware that the flu had a higher per capita fatality rate in 2019 for people under 60 than Covid in 2020,
In today's news:

Who is dying from COVID now? This group represented 90% of deaths
Almost everybody who has died from COVID so far this year was 65 or older — and many had never been vaccinated.
Old Oct 6, 2023, 4:03 pm

Close the schools!
Old Oct 6, 2023, 11:54 pm
Original Poster

Definitely not what I remember. At that time I kept my kids at home because the atmosphere of the school was pretty bad - teachers were scared and they had to force students to go to school. Lunds kommun was sending warning letters to parents to keep their kids at home. The border wasn't closed and Sweden has never banned flights from China. We were not even allowed to lockdown voluntarily. The only people that could do that were office workers - ask bus drivers, train conductors or a 65 years old if they did that.

The mortality rate is not the only thing to judge what is right or wrong. Also, the mortality rate is not the best to look at because how healthy a person is depends on multiple factors from how healthy they live, whether they have received proper healthcare services when it was needed and how much preventative measures they have provided by their healthcare provider.
I have the impression that you confuse the issue of lockdown with the issue of closing borders. They are two separate issues.

Closing borders may have a delaying effect if there's no domestic spread, but once the virus is widespread in the country, closing borders doesn't make any sense at all. Anyway, closing borders isn't necessarily a violation of human rights. For countries that are heavily dependent on incoming tourism, such as Thailand, closing borders can be very damaging to the country and the people.

A lockdown of your population will inevitably be a violation of human rights, and it will usually cause far more damage than closing borders.

I agree that the mortality rate is not the only thing. We're talking about very complex issues. But right now, it's probably the best indicator.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.