Reload this Page >

Coronavirus in Sweden

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Coronavirus in Sweden

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2022, 2:06 am

Programs: SAS EBS / *A Silver, Hilton Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Platinum Ambassador
Originally Posted by GUWonder
With regard to the above claim that "non-Police passport checkers can't restrict anyone from anything, they can merely refer your case to the police for proper review", have you as a non-citizen of a Nordic Passport Union country tried to blitz around the "non-Police passport checkers" on arrival to Sweden at the Swedish ports of entry and see what happens after pushing your way beyond "the non-Police passport checkers" without the "non-Police passport checkers" approval at a Swedish port of entry?
I didn't say anything about pushing through. Of course they can see your documents, but they can't restrict you from entering Sweden - if they believe your documents are not sufficient, they will refer your case to the police, which will make the final decision.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Feb 13, 2022, 2:49 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
If they can condition an arriving traveler’s ability to proceed on entry and are doing so on the basis of requiring presentation of documentation, then they are restricting the entry.
Old Feb 13, 2022, 3:37 am

Programs: SAS EBS / *A Silver, Hilton Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Platinum Ambassador
If they can condition an arriving traveler’s ability to proceed on entry and are doing so on the basis of requiring presentation of documentation, then they are restricting the entry.
No, they aren't, they don't have any legal power to prevent you from entering Sweden. If they think you're not allowed to enter, your case is referred to the police which will decide whether you will be admitted or not. That decision is then made under normal Schengen rules, there are no special restrictions anymore. Of course you need to have an accepted ID, that has been the case for last ~100 years.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Feb 13, 2022, 5:41 am
Suspended

If the "non-Police passport checkers can't restrict anyone from anything" were true in Sweden, then who are the "non-Police passport control checkers" checking when and where there is border control at a Swedish port of entry being operated by the "non-Police passport control checkers"? Cross-border volunteers just not willing to ignore those "non-Police passport control checkers" and "make a dash for it" without showing the "non-Police passport control checkers" anything when they are restricting people through the gates as gate-keepers?
Old Feb 13, 2022, 6:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by the810
I didn't say anything about pushing through. Of course they can see your documents, but they can't restrict you from entering Sweden - if they believe your documents are not sufficient, they will refer your case to the police, which will make the final decision.
The issue is they referred us to the police without a valid reason, and costing us up to 20 minutes waiting time.
Old Feb 13, 2022, 6:55 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by nacho
The issue is they referred us to the police without a valid reason, and costing us up to 20 minutes waiting time.
So for up to 20 minutes, they restricted you from continuing on your way forward until you were cleared by the police referral? But this kind of thing was sort of happening also before the pandemic.
vanillabean likes this.

Last edited by GUWonder; Feb 13, 2022 at 7:00 am
Old Feb 13, 2022, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So for up to 20 minutes, they restricted you from continuing on your way forward until you were cleared by the police referral? But this kind of thing was sort of happening also before the pandemic.
It happened before the pandemic, and during the pandemic. That's why we tried to pick lanes manned by the police.
Old Feb 13, 2022, 9:18 am
Suspended

It happened before the pandemic, and during the pandemic. That's why we tried to pick lanes manned by the police.
When it comes to those involved in restricting my movements on entering Sweden by surface transport means during the pandemic and also ever since 2015, I too have preferred dealing with the police over the "non-police". The latter have a bit more of an insecure mall cop attitude than the former, and it shows at times in how things go. I would prefer not to have to deal with either of them -- as had been the case for nearly all of my crossings between the bridge opening and the latter part of 2015. But Sweden going reliably back to pre-fall 2015 practices for crossing into the country seems to be closer to a remote dream than any near-term reality at this point.

One sign of a return to post-2015-pre-pandemic "normality" in Sweden when it comes to border crossing: a boost in Customs staffing and related searches for intra-Schengen international arrivals in Sweden.
nacho likes this.
Old Feb 13, 2022, 9:28 am

I absolutely understand that and just to be clear, I am very critical of Swedish approach to border crossings. But there aren't any border restrictions anymore, apart from those based on Schengen rules (i.e. needing a national ID card or a passport).
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Feb 13, 2022, 9:33 am

Programs: AS 75K (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
The land of common sense seems to be thriving while Britain is counting the cost of harsh lockdown restrictions.

To understand Sweden, you need to understand a word that’s hard to explain, let alone translate: lagom. It means, in effect, “perfect-simple”: not too much, not too little. People who are lagom don’t stand out or make a fuss: they blend right in – and this is seen as a virtue.

Essays are written about why lagom sums up a certain Swedish mindset – that it’s bad to stand out, to consider yourself better or be an outlier. That’s why it’s so strange that, during the lockdowns, Sweden became the world’s defiant outlier.

Swedes saw it the other way around. They were keeping calm and carrying on: lockdown was an extreme, draconian, untested experiment. Lock up everyone, keep children out of school, suspend civil liberties, send police after people walking their dogs – and call this “caution”? Anders Tegnell, Sweden’s state epidemiologist, never spoke about a Swedish “experiment”. He said all along he could not recommend a public health intervention that had never been proven.
Was Sweden right about Covid all along?
https://apple.news/AxDPKe6dYQCyYL8tKWEgoNA

😛
the810 likes this.
Old Feb 13, 2022, 9:51 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by vanillabean
Was Sweden right about Covid all along?
https://apple.news/AxDPKe6dYQCyYL8tKWEgoNA

😛
Nothing "lagom" about Sweden's Covid-19 per capita deaths being so much worse than each and every one of its neighbors. But in a more global perspective that includes Haiti, Afghanistan and Yemen, what can't pass for "lagom" in Sweden.

I'm looking forward to see what happens with school students' educational attainment scores in Sweden compared to its neighbors (and even compared to itself) over the next several years. Sweden's on a new-found kick to try to defund independent (non-governmental) schools and claims it will boost the funding per student for the municipality schools. Will sprinkling some money like this be able to undo the pandemic period socio-economic damage done to school age kids in Sweden?
Old Feb 13, 2022, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by the810
I absolutely understand that and just to be clear, I am very critical of Swedish approach to border crossings. But there aren't any border restrictions anymore, apart from those based on Schengen rules (i.e. needing a national ID card or a passport).
It's not the restrictions that's the problem, it's the way they implementing it is the problem. Those long queues by the bridge is not fun for commuters driving back and forth every day, Mr had to get a Swedish passport just to be able to save the potential 20 minutes unnecessary waiting time so that he could use the time to relax at home.

The border crossing by the bridge is not only used for immigration, but also for checking cars (they scan licence plates, wait and ask for driver licences) and illegal substances occasionally.
Old Feb 13, 2022, 2:06 pm

It's not the restrictions that's the problem, it's the way they implementing it is the problem. Those long queues by the bridge is not fun for commuters driving back and forth every day, Mr had to get a Swedish passport just to be able to save the potential 20 minutes unnecessary waiting time so that he could use the time to relax at home.

The border crossing by the bridge is not only used for immigration, but also for checking cars (they scan licence plates, wait and ask for driver licences) and illegal substances occasionally.
I have more extreme attitude to this issue and I firmly believe border controls between EU member states should not exist (at least not routine ones). If you're "bruteforcing" the issue at the border, it's just a sign that you fail at intelligence and dealing with your own domestic problems. It is much more efficient to tackle crime inside than hoping to find illegal substances at the border.

This is one of very few areas where I indeed believe that something is rotten in the state of Sweden. I haven't experienced such insane border checks in my life and I travelled to places like Belarus and Singapore.
LETTERBOY and nacho like this.
Old Feb 13, 2022, 2:16 pm
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
As for the "tough on border" madness. On the news today was a man, working in Denmark and living in Sweden, with a "non-typical look" who had been searched (body and car) 150 (!) times in 18 month, driving his Tesla across the bridge. Police insisted it was not racial profiling. Yeez.
LETTERBOY and the810 like this.
Old Feb 13, 2022, 2:23 pm

Programs: AS 75K (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
Originally Posted by intuition
As for the "tough on border" madness. On the news today was a man, working in Denmark and living in Sweden, with a "non-typical look" who had been searched (body and car) 150 (!) times in 18 month, driving his Tesla across the bridge. Police insisted it was not racial profiling. Yeez.
Did each such search come with a free car wash?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.