Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > New York City
Reload this Page >

LGA Traffic Nightmare: Redevelopment 2016–≈2020; New For-Hire Vehicle & Taxi Pickups

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 27, 2016, 7:54 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: progapanda
Effective MAY 5 2018 - FHV pickup for Terminal B permanently located on 2nd level of garage - https://twitter.com/lgacentral/statu...10117236142080 - exit the Departures level and proceed to the bridge at the far right, enter the Garage, and find your lettered pickup lane/column.

FHV pickup for Terminals C and D require taking a free shuttle to the Marine Air Terminal for pickup at that location. https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/new-...minal-c-d.html
As of August 2019, FHV pickup for Terminals C and D is now available in the curb area between the two terminals.

As of August 2019 - Yellow Taxi pickup for Terminal B may require shuttle bus transfer during peak traffic periods. Yellow Taxi pickup for Terminals C and D is via shuttle bus to Terminal A at all times! - https://twitter.com/LGAairport/status/994659741568774155/photo/1

LGA Airport Travel Advisories [Official Site]:
http://laguardiaairport.com/traveladvisories/

LGA Airport - Changes to MTA Bus Routes [Official Site]:
http://laguardiaairport.com/news/cha...-at-laguardia/

LGA-Area Traffic [Google Maps]:
https://www.google.com/maps/@40.7636.../data=!5m1!1e1

NYC DOT Traffic Camera - Grand Central Parkway at 27th Ave (LGA Central Terminal Entrance):
http://dotsignals.org/google_popup.php?cid=679

LGA Redevelopment Website:
https://www.anewlga.com/

LGA New Rideshare / For-Hire Vehicle Rules (as of 5 Apr 2017):
http://laguardiaairport.com/news/fhv-pick-up/
http://www.panynj.gov/press-room/pre...adLine_id=2667
Print Wikipost

LGA Traffic Nightmare: Redevelopment 2016–≈2020; New For-Hire Vehicle & Taxi Pickups

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2018, 10:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

When the M60's are running with regular headways (I think the schedule is every 10 minutes) it's usually okay. But if things get out of whack for one reason or another, all hell can break loose.

Also, I'm more likely to consider the bus (Q70 or M60) TO the airport if going to terminal B, which is the first stop. And more likely to consider the bus FROM the airport if I land at terminals C/D. Getting on the bus at TB, then it has to circle through to D then C before leaving the airport, and the roadways from B and D can get rather congested. In a taxi/car you don't have to take the grand tour.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 8:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
From the What it's Worth File.

On a somewhat related note, I had an oh my moment last night.

I usually park on the street at LGA. I then walk the 10 - 15 minutes to the Main terminal for my UA or SW flight. Been doing this for a long time. Last night, UA canceled my flight, and re-booked me on Delta. Ok, no problem, until it dawned on me that Delta would deposit me at the C terminal. I wasn't happy. Since it would double my walk, I decided to take the free airport shuttle to the main terminal, then walk to the car.

I've never taken a shuttle bus at LGA. I find the shuttle stop and read the routes. I see that LGA has a shuttle to Alamo/Budget car rental office. My shuttle ride and walk, that I estimated at 30 minutes, was a short 6 minutes. My walk to my car was 3 minutes.

I never knew about this. I hope this helps another loyal. It certainly made my day after a 4 hour departure delay from UA till the time my new Delta flight departed.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Nice - is the shuttle to Alamo/Budget run by the airport or the rental agency? If the latter, I could potentially see them trying to restrict access to customers, but if it's an LGA airport shuttle (e.g., targeted for employees), you should be golden!
Old Jun 13, 2018, 10:20 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
The shuttle in Terminal B (operated by airport) is to take passengers to Terminal A (Marine Air). From Terminal A you take a car rental agency operated shuttle to car rental agency.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 6:41 am

There are three on airport bus routes run by the Port Authority all run 24 hours a day. Peak 8-10 minutes, off-peak 15 minutes. They all go off property and use 23rd Ave for some portion of their route with a stop at 23rd Ave and 94th St if you are street parking, also for Red/Purple 102nd St and Ditmas Blvd.
Purple-Between B/C/D
Red-Between A/C/D
Blue-A and B only

Info: https://www.laguardiaairport.com/at-...on-airport-bus
Map: https://www.laguardiaairport.com/sta...e-06.01.17.pdf
ijgordon likes this.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 7:37 am
Aman Contributor Badge

Anyone know how long it should take for the shuttle bus to take you to marine air from terminal B? Will have time to kill and wanted to stop at the Cent lounge before making my way over to terminal A. Bad idea?
Old Jun 14, 2018, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Based on that handy map , I'd guess it shouldn't be more than 10-15 minutes depending on how congested the airport roadways are, maybe 20 minutes max?
No idea how TSA is at the MAT these days, that would factor in, but it's probably not a horrible idea since looks like the shuttle stop is right by the elevators to the centurion lounge, and you can get SMS of shuttle arrival times.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 1:52 pm

Originally Posted by ijgordon
No idea how TSA is at the MAT these days,
The setup has changed a little at MAT. You now have to enter thru the old MAT not the baggage claim area from when Delta was there as that was maid one way.
TSA only has two lines and I always seems one is closed. Most times it is Pre-Check Light meaning you can keep your shoes on but everything else has to come out of the bag because they only use one line.

After walking thru the old MAT, remember to look t the great mural of flight, you come to the B6 self-drop baggage area, followed by the "Can I help you" desk, then TSA with only one document checker. Hey, but at least there is not private security document checker as there is only one line.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 2:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Originally Posted by ijgordon
Nice - is the shuttle to Alamo/Budget run by the airport or the rental agency? If the latter, I could potentially see them trying to restrict access to customers, but if it's an LGA airport shuttle (e.g., targeted for employees), you should be golden!
This is an airport shuttle run by the Port Authority.

dh
Old Jun 24, 2018, 6:46 pm

Programs: American Airlines Platinum, National Executive
I see from news articles that the LGA redevelopment is to be complete by 2020/2021, and there have been some preliminary steps towards a Cuomo-proposed Airtrain.

What's the real story- should the LGA redevelopment be complete by maybe 2023, and will there be public transportation improvements?
Old Jun 25, 2018, 7:57 am

Originally Posted by NYCommuter
What's the real story- should the LGA redevelopment be complete by maybe 2023, and will there be public transportation improvements?
It'll probably take an extra year or two, although they do seem to be making a ton of progress with construction. My expectations have been exceeded.

I sincerely hope the AirTrain idea is dead, dead, dead. The proposed AirTrain involved spending billions of public dollars, screwing up traffic on the GCP for years of construction, and requiring pax from Manhattan to take a significantly longer trip at a much higher fare than the current Q70 arrangement. Yes, trains on dedicated lines are better than buses on shared roads in terms of reliability. But I'll take a free (if transferring) nonstop bus from a 4-line subway station a few stops from Manhattan any day over a $5 train from a 1-line subway station that's much farther from Manhattan. If they took 1% of the AirTrain budget and spent it on increased Q70 frequency and more Q70 marketing, the city would be much better off that building that stupid, stupid AirTrain. Heck, they could take another 1% of the AirTrain budget and pay for free champagne for Q70 pax whenever it's delayed, and everyone would be much happier.
Old Jun 25, 2018, 8:02 am

mrsmicah had her first opportunity to use the new Terminal B FHV pickup from the parking garage the other night. It's still a lot less convenient than getting picked up at the curb right outside the terminal, but she said it was WAY better than the old bus-to-remote-lot arrangement. Her car arrived within about 5 minutes of requesting (whereas we often waited 15-20 minutes for a car to arrive after requesting to the remote lot due to bottlenecks between the place where the cars wait for dispatching and the place where you actually get picked up) and the covered garage was much better protected from the weather. And of course she didn't have to take a bus.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 6:36 am

Originally Posted by themicah
I sincerely hope the AirTrain idea is dead, dead, dead. The proposed AirTrain involved spending billions of public dollars, screwing up traffic on the GCP for years of construction, and requiring pax from Manhattan to take a significantly longer trip at a much higher fare than the current Q70 arrangement.
Coincidence or not Prince Andrew just announced that yesterday "Governor Andrew Cuomo has signed the legislation that was introduced last week that will allow the State Department of Transportation to seize public land to build the LaGuardia AirTrain. There’s still a way to go before the AirTrain is a totally done deal, but this allows an environmental review to be conducted, which will begin later this year and wrap at the end of next year. The announcement is also accompanied by new renderings for the project."

https://ny.curbed.com/2018/6/25/1750...-cuomo-airport
Old Jun 26, 2018, 11:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by themicah
The proposed AirTrain involved spending billions of public dollars, screwing up traffic on the GCP for years of construction, and requiring pax from Manhattan to take a significantly longer trip at a much higher fare than the current Q70 arrangement.
If this boondoggle is completed, who would ride it when the Q70 is cheaper and faster? The LGA Airtrain destination is the Willets Point subway station. Many times during the baseball offseason or when the Mets are on a road trip, 7 service is suspended on weekend/late nights in one or both directions so you'd have to take a shuttle bus to another 7 station or walk across the boardwalk in hopes of catching the infrequent LIRR to Penn Station.

I'll take a free (if transferring) nonstop bus from a 4-line subway station a few stops from Manhattan any day over a $5 train from a 1-line subway station that's much farther from Manhattan. If they took 1% of the AirTrain budget and spent it on increased Q70 frequency and more Q70 marketing, the city would be much better off that building that stupid, stupid AirTrain. Heck, they could take another 1% of the AirTrain budget and pay for free champagne for Q70 pax whenever it's delayed, and everyone would be much happier.
:-::-::-:
Old Sep 22, 2018, 4:34 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

I'm coming back to ORD from NYC next week and am deciding between EWR and LGA (flying United). Is LGA still a cluster to get to? Would be taking a taxi midday and wondering how much of a hassle it would be to get dropped off at United's terminal? My friends and colleagues have told me horror stories of what they have gone through at LGA (albeit months ago).

Can anyone give me some advice before I book? Thanks in advance.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.