Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > New York City
Reload this Page >

LGA Traffic Nightmare: Redevelopment 2016–≈2020; New For-Hire Vehicle & Taxi Pickups

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 27, 2016, 7:54 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: progapanda
Effective MAY 5 2018 - FHV pickup for Terminal B permanently located on 2nd level of garage - https://twitter.com/lgacentral/statu...10117236142080 - exit the Departures level and proceed to the bridge at the far right, enter the Garage, and find your lettered pickup lane/column.

FHV pickup for Terminals C and D require taking a free shuttle to the Marine Air Terminal for pickup at that location. https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/new-...minal-c-d.html
As of August 2019, FHV pickup for Terminals C and D is now available in the curb area between the two terminals.

As of August 2019 - Yellow Taxi pickup for Terminal B may require shuttle bus transfer during peak traffic periods. Yellow Taxi pickup for Terminals C and D is via shuttle bus to Terminal A at all times! - https://twitter.com/LGAairport/status/994659741568774155/photo/1

LGA Airport Travel Advisories [Official Site]:
http://laguardiaairport.com/traveladvisories/

LGA Airport - Changes to MTA Bus Routes [Official Site]:
http://laguardiaairport.com/news/cha...-at-laguardia/

LGA-Area Traffic [Google Maps]:
https://www.google.com/maps/@40.7636.../data=!5m1!1e1

NYC DOT Traffic Camera - Grand Central Parkway at 27th Ave (LGA Central Terminal Entrance):
http://dotsignals.org/google_popup.php?cid=679

LGA Redevelopment Website:
https://www.anewlga.com/

LGA New Rideshare / For-Hire Vehicle Rules (as of 5 Apr 2017):
http://laguardiaairport.com/news/fhv-pick-up/
http://www.panynj.gov/press-room/pre...adLine_id=2667
Print Wikipost

LGA Traffic Nightmare: Redevelopment 2016–≈2020; New For-Hire Vehicle & Taxi Pickups

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2018, 1:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

PANYNJ just announced on Twitter that during certain times of peak congestion medallion taxi pickups will require a shuttle bus service.

So that's, ummm, something.
Old May 10, 2018, 4:44 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ratchtjaw
It was a nightmare on Sunday @ 5 PM. All regular existing garage traffic plus TLC cars exit through the parking garage gates. Then get funneled into a single lane of traffic that must merge.

It took 40+ minutes for our car to reach us then exit the garage. With I would have dealt with the 15-20 minute taxi line.
Ouch. Quicker to take shuttle bus to another terminal to get a FHV vehicle.
Old May 12, 2018, 11:23 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by ratchtjaw
It was a nightmare on Sunday @ 5 PM. All regular existing garage traffic plus TLC cars exit through the parking garage gates. Then get funneled into a single lane of traffic that must merge.
I was there last Sunday as well. Obviously pick up was a much smoother experience compared to the old Shuttle Bus and it was actually less chaotic than the old curbside pickup at Terminal B, but it was indeed a 15-20 min wait to exit the garage. I don’t know what they were thinking by only having a single lane for the exit
Old May 13, 2018, 6:52 am

Originally Posted by seawolf
Ouch. Quicker to take shuttle bus to another terminal to get a FHV vehicle.
Agree, with B6 at Terminal A, a lot more yellow taxis there late evening when Delta was there. Even easier for ride share and the direct PANYNJ Bus B to A is not that bad.
Old May 29, 2018, 1:01 pm

Programs: DL PM, OZ Diamond Plus, BA Silver
A quick question for the LGA regulars on here: have a 10am flight Friday out of B and will be coming in from CT on the Metro-North. Options are either to get off at Harlem-125th and take the M60, or to continue to Grand Central, take the 7 train to Woodside and then the Q70. I've had some pretty poor experiences on the M60 so I'm leaning toward the second option, but was wondering if anyone had any advice / opinions regarding taking the bus to LGA / how traffic would be at this time etc. Thanks in advance!
Old May 29, 2018, 3:09 pm

Programs: UA Gold 0.66MM, MR LT Titanium, IHG Platinum, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by truncated
A quick question for the LGA regulars on here: have a 10am flight Friday out of B and will be coming in from CT on the Metro-North. Options are either to get off at Harlem-125th and take the M60, or to continue to Grand Central, take the 7 train to Woodside and then the Q70. I've had some pretty poor experiences on the M60 so I'm leaning toward the second option, but was wondering if anyone had any advice / opinions regarding taking the bus to LGA / how traffic would be at this time etc. Thanks in advance!
I would take the M60 at that time. 10 is long enough after the morning rush, and you're going in the opposite direction anyway. adding in the 7 train is just an extra step that still leaves you taking a bus for the final stretch anyway.
BearX220 likes this.
Old May 30, 2018, 6:51 am

Though I'm an M60 user, heard some good things about Q70 now that it is Select Bus Service, it might make up for the time on the 7 if the Triboro Bridge (err, sorry Robert F. Kennedy Bridge) has heavy traffic, both have Terminal B as their first airport stop.
Probably still stick with the M60, I know will be on that since in June I'm on B6 out of Terminal A and Q70 doesn't go there just the last stop on the M60.
Old May 30, 2018, 11:04 am

The M60 is an SBS route now, too.

Maybe take a look at Google Maps when you're on the train. If there is a lot of red along 125th Street between Park Ave and the river and/or on the Triboro/RFK bridge, but the BQE (aka I-278) between Broadway and the Grand Central Parkway looks clear, then go for the 7-to-Q70 routing. Otherwise, I'd probably stick with the M60 as it's so much more direct. Google Maps "typical traffic" for Friday 8:30am is pretty clear along the M60 route. And Google Transit quotes 35 minutes from 125th/Park to LGA via M60 vs. 38 minutes from GCT to LGA via 7 and Q70 (not including the time it takes your MNR train to get from 125th to GCT).

Note also that you only want to get off the 7 at Woodside if you're on a 7 express (a train with the 7 in a diamond). If you're on a 7 local (with a circle), I'm pretty sure you want to stay on the train to Roosevelt Av/Jackson Heights and switch to the Q70 there rather than getting off at Woodside and being at the mercy of street traffic for the trip between Woodside and Jackson Heights.
Old May 30, 2018, 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by themicah
The M60 is an SBS route now, too.

Maybe take a look at Google Maps when you're on the train. If there is a lot of red along 125th Street between Park Ave and the river and/or on the Triboro/RFK bridge, but the BQE (aka I-278) between Broadway and the Grand Central Parkway looks clear, then go for the 7-to-Q70 routing. Otherwise, I'd probably stick with the M60 as it's so much more direct. Google Maps "typical traffic" for Friday 8:30am is pretty clear along the M60 route. And Google Transit quotes 35 minutes from 125th/Park to LGA via M60 vs. 38 minutes from GCT to LGA via 7 and Q70 (not including the time it takes your MNR train to get from 125th to GCT).

Note also that you only want to get off the 7 at Woodside if you're on a 7 express (a train with the 7 in a diamond). If you're on a 7 local (with a circle), I'm pretty sure you want to stay on the train to Roosevelt Av/Jackson Heights and switch to the Q70 there rather than getting off at Woodside and being at the mercy of street traffic for the trip between Woodside and Jackson Heights.
Checking Google Maps the day of does sound like a good idea, thanks! Was considering the Q70 since that one goes nonstop from Roosevelt Av/Jackson Heights, whereas the M60 makes too many stops for my liking (and I've always ended up stuck in traffic in Astoria when I've taken it). But yeah I guess I'll stick with the M60 again, unless the traffic's bad on Friday.
Old May 30, 2018, 12:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Brighton Line
Though I'm an M60 user, heard some good things about Q70 now that it is Select Bus Service, it might make up for the time on the 7 if the Triboro Bridge (err, sorry Robert F. Kennedy Bridge)
Still the Triboro to me.

I know will be on that since in June I'm on B6 out of Terminal A and Q70 doesn't go there just the last stop on the M60.
I've never called it Terminal A; it has always been the Marine Air Terminal. But then, I haven't gone there since the Delta Shuttle to DC and BOS were relocated. I do miss the ease and convenience of the Marine Air Terminal.
Old May 30, 2018, 1:16 pm

Programs: UA Gold 0.66MM, MR LT Titanium, IHG Platinum, Hertz PC
the M60 makes too many stops for my liking (and I've always ended up stuck in traffic in Astoria when I've taken it).
Depending on when you last took the M60, it may be a lot faster than before. The switch to SBS did wonders for the route.
Old May 31, 2018, 6:52 am

Originally Posted by themicah
7 Express runs rush hour peak direction only, AM Rush from Main Street/PM Rush to Main Street with the exception of the Mets Specials after the game which is from Willets to Hudson Yards.

You can get the Q70 SBS at 74th St Roosevelt it is 15 scheduled minutes to LGA and Q70 is 20 scheduled minutes from Woodside 7 local stop.
Old May 31, 2018, 10:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

M60 can still be a cluster, although I do think going down to GCT is probably too far out of the way.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 6:34 am

Originally Posted by thewayofthefuture
Depending on when you last took the M60, it may be a lot faster than before. The switch to SBS did wonders for the route.
Last took it in 2016 when it was SBS and it was pretty dire (so I switched to flying into EWR after that).

However closing the loop on this: arrived Harlem-125th 7.04am, got my ticket at 125/Lex at 7.10, bus arrived 7.14 or thereabouts and got to Terminal B 7.42. So just under half an hour, and relatively painless. And now I'm safely ensconced in the United Club (which is the one good thing about flying UA out of LGA) watching the fog lift, and thinking that I really could have taken a later train out of CT. Ah well.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 8:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Last took it in 2016 when it was SBS and it was pretty dire (so I switched to flying into EWR after that).

However closing the loop on this: arrived Harlem-125th 7.04am, got my ticket at 125/Lex at 7.10, bus arrived 7.14 or thereabouts and got to Terminal B 7.42. So just under half an hour, and relatively painless. And now I'm safely ensconced in the United Club (which is the one good thing about flying UA out of LGA) watching the fog lift, and thinking that I really could have taken a later train out of CT. Ah well.
This was my experience coming down from White Plains. I was surprised how easy everything was.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.