Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > New York City
Reload this Page >

LGA Traffic Nightmare: Redevelopment 2016–≈2020; New For-Hire Vehicle & Taxi Pickups

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 27, 2016, 7:54 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: progapanda
Effective MAY 5 2018 - FHV pickup for Terminal B permanently located on 2nd level of garage - https://twitter.com/lgacentral/statu...10117236142080 - exit the Departures level and proceed to the bridge at the far right, enter the Garage, and find your lettered pickup lane/column.

FHV pickup for Terminals C and D require taking a free shuttle to the Marine Air Terminal for pickup at that location. https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/new-...minal-c-d.html
As of August 2019, FHV pickup for Terminals C and D is now available in the curb area between the two terminals.

As of August 2019 - Yellow Taxi pickup for Terminal B may require shuttle bus transfer during peak traffic periods. Yellow Taxi pickup for Terminals C and D is via shuttle bus to Terminal A at all times! - https://twitter.com/LGAairport/status/994659741568774155/photo/1

LGA Airport Travel Advisories [Official Site]:
http://laguardiaairport.com/traveladvisories/

LGA Airport - Changes to MTA Bus Routes [Official Site]:
http://laguardiaairport.com/news/cha...-at-laguardia/

LGA-Area Traffic [Google Maps]:
https://www.google.com/maps/@40.7636.../data=!5m1!1e1

NYC DOT Traffic Camera - Grand Central Parkway at 27th Ave (LGA Central Terminal Entrance):
http://dotsignals.org/google_popup.php?cid=679

LGA Redevelopment Website:
https://www.anewlga.com/

LGA New Rideshare / For-Hire Vehicle Rules (as of 5 Apr 2017):
http://laguardiaairport.com/news/fhv-pick-up/
http://www.panynj.gov/press-room/pre...adLine_id=2667
Print Wikipost

LGA Traffic Nightmare: Redevelopment 2016–≈2020; New For-Hire Vehicle & Taxi Pickups

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2017, 7:13 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Originally Posted by ijgordon
I tried Waze a couple of times a few years ago and it looked like a kids video game. Not a productivity app. Didn't bother to try to change settings. Maybe it's better now?
Definitely better.
I guess my question is still - how is Waze different from or better than plain old Google Maps?
Does a good job of showing alternative routes, if you want to see what your options are. I find the user interface better. I think the routing is still better, as Waze seems to be more directly plugged into the crowdsourced data than Google Maps is.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 4:33 pm
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Originally Posted by b3lyp2
Hi Everyone, longtime lurker, first-time poster!

I'm flying out of LGA Terminal D tomorrow and was going to swing by B for the Centurion Lounge. I used to walk from B to C/D no problem, but I read posts on this thread from a few months back that the walkway was closed due to all the construction. Does anyone know if it's still closed? I won't really have any luggage with me, so I'd prefer to walk then deal with the shuttle bus/traffic.

Welcome to FlyerTalk! Apologies for the delay, this post has now been released from the moderation queue.

/Moderator
Old Jun 28, 2017, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by b3lyp2
I'm flying out of LGA Terminal D tomorrow and was going to swing by B for the Centurion Lounge. I used to walk from B to C/D no problem, but I read posts on this thread from a few months back that the walkway was closed due to all the construction. Does anyone know if it's still closed? I won't really have any luggage with me, so I'd prefer to walk then deal with the shuttle bus/traffic.
So first let me comment that I don't think the LGA Centurion Lounge is worth going out of your way for. But if you want to do it, you can take an AA airside shuttle to get over to Terminal C. After visiting the lounge, clear security at either Concourse C or Concourse D of Terminal B. (The TSA folks will sometimes tell you that you're at the wrong terminal. Just tell them that you're taking the shuttle bus over to your terminal.) Both concourses have a gate where you can board an airside shuttle over to Terminal C. The AA agent who staffs the gate will ask you what flight you're on. I'm highly confident that they won't object if you tell them that you're going over to DL (which I assume is the case, since you specify C/D in your post). The shuttle will drop you at Terminal C. If your flight leaves from Terminal D, you can just walk over there. (Not sure if there's an airside transfer available).
Old Jul 6, 2017, 7:46 am

Programs: HH Gold; Marriott Gold; Hertz #1 5*
Question

What would be a good spot to meet someone coming in on AA 1740 (Gate C38 Term C for weeks now)? This would be for a Saturday 8 PM arrival.

Thanks.
Old Jul 9, 2017, 10:22 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Southwest A List, United Silver, Jumeirah One Silver, Marriott Silver
any tips for next week?

Im coming to LGA with wife and 2 small children and probably 2 large roller bags next week. Arrive Term B at 4pm on Saturday. I plan on taking taxi if line looks okay. Open to suggestions for a plan B if the line is horrible. Which direction do we walk if we want to go to Term C and catch Uber from there?

Flying out of LGA on Wednesday, at 4:55pm Term. B. When should we leave from Financial District?
TIA
Old Jul 12, 2017, 5:02 am

What is the walk like from terminal B to terminal C these days?
Old Jul 12, 2017, 2:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by EWR-6785
What is the walk like from terminal B to terminal C these days?
I feel like I've read that due to construction it is not viable/possible/recommended to walk between the central terminal and terminal C.

But I don't know for sure.
Old Jul 14, 2017, 9:36 am

Yesterday evening we again arrived at Terminal B with our family of five and a bunch of luggage. The options we considered:

1) Taxi line and wait for a minivan taxi that can fit all of us and our stuff (I don't think we'd squeeze into anything smaller).
2) Send one adult and 2-3 kids to the taxi line with the big bags and take whatever vehicle comes up, while the other adult and maybe one kid hops on the Q70 and takes the subway home.
3) Walk to Terminal C
4) Take the Green Shuttle to the FHV lot and order Lyft Plus.

We were concerned that #1 could be a very long wait (the taxi line wasn't bad, but there are very few real minivan taxis these days) and #2 would put the burden on one adult to unload everything at the other end.

While we were getting our luggage I walked a little bit in the direction of Terminal C and it didn't look like there was an easy way to walk to C. Where the sidewalk used to be, there is a ton of construction activity and wooden construction walls. I didn't go all the way to the end of Terminal B, so there may still be some sort of walkway to C, but it wasn't obvious there was one, and my wife wasn't too excited about dragging three kids and all our luggage that way to find out for sure. The distance between the two terminals also isn't that short so I'm not sure it would save time over the bus.

So we opted for #4 . Like last time, there were plenty of Green Route buses and they departed quickly. Unlike last time, the weather was pleasant and my kids weren't past their bedtime. The pickup lot was still busy, but a lot less crowded than the last time I was there, so everything went MUCH smoother.

At the end of the day the bus is very annoying (my biggest complaint is that one family like mine can take up almost all of the luggage rack space on the whole bus). But otherwise the off-site FHV pickup thing seems to be working decently at this point. If the taxi lines are long, I won't hesitate to use it again, even with my ungainly crew.
Old Jul 14, 2017, 11:02 am

Programs: DL, SWA
Is an hour and a half doable with car service from Manhattan Cruise port to LGA on a weekday morning at 8:30? Going to terminal C/D (Delta).

Opinion...experience? Thank you.
Old Jul 14, 2017, 12:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I feel like I've read that due to construction it is not viable/possible/recommended to walk between the central terminal and terminal C.

But I don't know for sure.
I'm here now. It's a giant construction site. NO WAY TO WALK FROM TERMINAL B TO C.
Old Jul 15, 2017, 9:46 pm
Suspended

Programs: AS DL
Is LGA so terrible that JFK is better?

Proposed routes:
LGA 6 pm flight, Q70 bus+subway
LGA 6 pm flight, taxi
JFK 6 pm flight, subway+Air Train

evening arrival into LGA or JFK

Any difference between Terminal A (Marine Air Terminal), B (Central Terminal) and D?

My experience is that JFK is fairly predictable. The E train makes a couple stops in Queens then take the Air Train. On the other hand, there are LGA horror stories and even walking the last bit.

A few years ago, I went to and from LGA on the Q70 bus and it was fine.
Old Jul 15, 2017, 11:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Toshbaf

Proposed routes:
LGA 6 pm flight, taxi

Any difference between Terminal A (Marine Air Terminal), B (Central Terminal) and D?

My experience is that JFK is fairly predictable. The E train makes a couple stops in Queens then take the Air Train. On the other hand, there are LGA horror stories and even walking the last bit.

No, LGA is not terrible. The Q70 still works quite well. At 6pm that's the way to go.
(And the E train makes 7 stops after leaving Manhattan to reach the AirTrain. But yes it's fairly predictable.)
Old Jul 15, 2017, 11:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Sally Brackett
Is an hour and a half doable with car service from Manhattan Cruise port to LGA on a weekday morning at 8:30? Going to terminal C/D (Delta).
Absolutely. That trip should be well under an hour, so you have a decent cushion.

Last edited by Blumie; Jul 15, 2017 at 11:51 pm
Old Jul 17, 2017, 9:10 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Originally Posted by Toshbaf

Proposed routes:
LGA 6 pm flight, taxi

If possible, go with Marine Air Terminal (A), by a wide margin. Security is never more than 5 minutes, then a 2 minute walk to your gate, Uber/Lyft can pick up right there, and away from the main traffic mess.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 12:43 pm

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
New Westbound GCP exit access pattern going into effect on 8/19. Exit 7 westbound will allow access to only Terminals C & D, with no access to Terminal B. New Exit 6 Westbound will provide Terminal B access.

This does not appear to impact eastbound exits so presumably the buses (Q70, M60, etc) will be unaffected since they stop in B, D, C order, but will have to wait and see.

http://laguardiaairport.com/news/gcp-exits-to-lga/
dstan likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.