Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > New York City
Reload this Page >

LGA Traffic Nightmare: Redevelopment 2016–≈2020; New For-Hire Vehicle & Taxi Pickups

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 27, 2016, 7:54 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: progapanda
Effective MAY 5 2018 - FHV pickup for Terminal B permanently located on 2nd level of garage - https://twitter.com/lgacentral/statu...10117236142080 - exit the Departures level and proceed to the bridge at the far right, enter the Garage, and find your lettered pickup lane/column.

FHV pickup for Terminals C and D require taking a free shuttle to the Marine Air Terminal for pickup at that location. https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/new-...minal-c-d.html
As of August 2019, FHV pickup for Terminals C and D is now available in the curb area between the two terminals.

As of August 2019 - Yellow Taxi pickup for Terminal B may require shuttle bus transfer during peak traffic periods. Yellow Taxi pickup for Terminals C and D is via shuttle bus to Terminal A at all times! - https://twitter.com/LGAairport/status/994659741568774155/photo/1

LGA Airport Travel Advisories [Official Site]:
http://laguardiaairport.com/traveladvisories/

LGA Airport - Changes to MTA Bus Routes [Official Site]:
http://laguardiaairport.com/news/cha...-at-laguardia/

LGA-Area Traffic [Google Maps]:
https://www.google.com/maps/@40.7636.../data=!5m1!1e1

NYC DOT Traffic Camera - Grand Central Parkway at 27th Ave (LGA Central Terminal Entrance):
http://dotsignals.org/google_popup.php?cid=679

LGA Redevelopment Website:
https://www.anewlga.com/

LGA New Rideshare / For-Hire Vehicle Rules (as of 5 Apr 2017):
http://laguardiaairport.com/news/fhv-pick-up/
http://www.panynj.gov/press-room/pre...adLine_id=2667
Print Wikipost

LGA Traffic Nightmare: Redevelopment 2016–≈2020; New For-Hire Vehicle & Taxi Pickups

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2017, 9:31 pm

Yeah...as others above have stated...for anyone who doesn't mind a light walk, if traffic around LGA seems crazy, get off around 94th St / Ditmars intersection for Terminal B; and 102nd St / Ditmars round-about for Terminal C/D. Just make sure to enter the correct drop-off address in your TNC app and make sure your driver doesn't take the airport exit to get there! Reverse the same at arrival and save yourself some headache, hopefully.
Old May 5, 2017, 7:38 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Originally Posted by jmanirish
Thanks.

No checked bags, and precheck. What about for the 9am departure. Would I start to hit (bad) traffic then?
For a 9AM departure, I'd probably leave at 7:15 from midtown, 7:30 at the latest. Most likely, if you leave at 7:15, you'll be at the gate by 8 or 8:15, but the variability increases a lot vs. the 6AM flight.
Old May 5, 2017, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Analise
6am is probably the best time to go. I agree with cestmoi123's recommendation.

You could hit traffic. It's a pain to get up that early (unless you're an early bird) but I would stick with the 6am flight.
Because it might take 10-15 minutes longer to get to the airport? No thank you.

I wouldn't make my decision on whether to take a 6am or 9am flight because of potential traffic.
Old May 8, 2017, 7:45 am

A proposal: make the Q70 ex-LGA free

I was chatting with my sister over the weekend who mentioned that on a recent trip into LGA the Q70 was free. I'm not sure if that was some sort of pilot program or if the SBS system just wasn't working (or she didn't use it properly) or what, but it got me thinking...

Why doesn't the Port Authority simply pay something to the MTA to make the Q70 free leaving LGA?

Advantages:
  1. If you have a choice between a free bus to an off-site car service pickup lot or a free bus to 5 different subway lines, I think a LOT of people would choose the subway, reducing traffic near the airport.
  2. It would give people who are skeptical of the Q70 an incentive to try it and see how convenient it is (yes, I know it's a free transfer already, but a lot of people don't understand how transfers work).
  3. Increased ridership would justify increased frequency on the route, which would make it even more convenient for those who already take it.
  4. IMO one of the major barriers to Q70 ridership is confusion/annoyance over the fact that you have to buy a Metrocard inside the terminal, then use the metrocard to pay for the bus at the bus stop, all before you board the bus. If the bus were free, the bus would be able to board faster since there wouldn't be confusion over payment, and those who need to buy metrocards could get them at the subway station where everything is closer together, the staff is more familiar with how metrocards work, and the other passengers aren't all stressed out airport travelers toting big bags.

The only disadvantages I can think of are that it might cost a little (but given that a huge percentage of Q70 riders are probably already using free transfers, how much could that be?), and if they don't adjust frequency smartly they might end up with very crowded buses.

Thoughts?
Old May 8, 2017, 1:19 pm
S.R

Programs: EK Platinum, AA EXP, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
The one month trial for the shuttle service for car services, uber etc was supposed to end May 5th. Is it back to normal now at terminal B for FHV pick up?
Old May 8, 2017, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The Q70 *has* been free in the past, usually around holidays and busy travel periods. I believe the expectation was that since most pax were using the free transfer anyway, even just advertising the free bus would encourage more people to pay for subway fares and it wouldn't cost any more. I don't believe there was any increase in service.

The problem in this situation is that you might end up with lots of people just taking the bus to Jackson Heights or Woodside and getting a car pickup there, since that's really the pain point of the current trial.
Old May 8, 2017, 6:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by S.R
The one month trial for the shuttle service for car services, uber etc was supposed to end May 5th. Is it back to normal now at terminal B for FHV pick up?
I don't think so. I flew into LGA today, and there still were signs everywhere about taking the Green Shuttle. I got in the taxi line, which took me about 12 minutes; I should have just gone upstairs and grabbed a taxi there.
Old May 8, 2017, 6:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by ijgordon

I wouldn't make my decision on whether to take a 6am or 9am flight because of potential traffic.
Fares being the same, I do that all of the time.

As for the discussion of making the Q70 free, since people are already getting a free transfer or getting the free transfer on the subway to Manhattan, what's the point of making the Q70 free? The transfer in either direction is free.

Originally Posted by themicah
It would give people who are skeptical of the Q70 an incentive to try it and see how convenient it is (yes, I know it's a free transfer already, but a lot of people don't understand how transfers work).
Who are these people who don't know how transfers work? The tourists? The once-in-a-blue-moon business traveler?

Last edited by Analise; May 8, 2017 at 7:00 pm
Old May 8, 2017, 7:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ijgordon

Apparently some people also drive an extra 20 minutes (plus risk Van Wyck traffic, which could make it much longer) to get to JFK in order to avoid the risk of five minutes of construction traffic at LGA. Go figure.
Old May 8, 2017, 8:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Originally Posted by Blumie
Apparently some people also drive an extra 20 minutes (plus risk Van Wyck traffic, which could make it much longer) to get to JFK in order to avoid the risk of five minutes of construction traffic at LGA.
You forgot to say YMMV.
Old May 9, 2017, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Apparently some people also drive an extra 20 minutes (plus risk Van Wyck traffic, which could make it much longer) to get to JFK in order to avoid the risk of five minutes of construction traffic at LGA. Go figure.
This board does seem to have its share of questionable judgment and advice.
Old May 16, 2017, 4:57 pm

I live in Brooklyn and I'm picking up a car rental at National on Friday. Normally I would take the Q70 to get there... how is the Q70 affected by this all? Apologies that I didn't read through this whole thread of warranted complaining .

So pissed about this... LGA should to be 15/20 min from my apt. My neighbor who is a UA pilot said it took him 90 min to get home the other day because of all this calamity.
Old May 16, 2017, 5:43 pm

Originally Posted by NYCRachel
I live in Brooklyn and I'm picking up a car rental at National on Friday. Normally I would take the Q70 to get there... how is the Q70 affected by this all? Apologies that I didn't read through this whole thread of warranted complaining .
The Q72 and Q33 both stop within a block of National before getting to the airport (the Q33 actually ends right at National and doesn't go into the airport at all). And the M60 and Q48 stop pretty close to National before entering the airport as well. But they all stop a lot more between the subway and the airport than the Q70, so the Q70 may still be fastest...

Have you considered picking up at the Brooklyn or one of the Manhattan National locations instead? You might save time and airport concession fees assuming it's not a prepaid rental and the locations are open when you need to pickup.
Old May 17, 2017, 9:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NYCRachel
I live in Brooklyn and I'm picking up a car rental at National on Friday.
I've had great luck using Uber pool from Williamsburg. In several trips, the fare has never exceeded $10, and the ride has been quick. Once I was using it to get to Hertz, and we had to first drop off a passenger at Terminal B. This probably added 5 to 10 minutes to the ride, especially since driving from Terminal B to the Marine Terminal area no longer is as direct as it used to be due to the construction, but it still was much faster and more convenient than taking the Q70 (which ordinarily I'm happy to take).
Old May 18, 2017, 9:48 am

I've had great luck using Uber pool from Williamsburg. In several trips, the fare has never exceeded $10, and the ride has been quick. Once I was using it to get to Hertz, and we had to first drop off a passenger at Terminal B. This probably added 5 to 10 minutes to the ride, especially since driving from Terminal B to the Marine Terminal area no longer is as direct as it used to be due to the construction, but it still was much faster and more convenient than taking the Q70 (which ordinarily I'm happy to take).
Thanks. I'm actually departing to National from my office near Grand Central. Maybe I'll take the 7 train to Junction Blvd and take an Uber.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.