Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > New York City
Reload this Page >

LGA Traffic Nightmare: Redevelopment 2016–≈2020; New For-Hire Vehicle & Taxi Pickups

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 27, 2016, 7:54 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: progapanda
Effective MAY 5 2018 - FHV pickup for Terminal B permanently located on 2nd level of garage - https://twitter.com/lgacentral/statu...10117236142080 - exit the Departures level and proceed to the bridge at the far right, enter the Garage, and find your lettered pickup lane/column.

FHV pickup for Terminals C and D require taking a free shuttle to the Marine Air Terminal for pickup at that location. https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/new-...minal-c-d.html
As of August 2019, FHV pickup for Terminals C and D is now available in the curb area between the two terminals.

As of August 2019 - Yellow Taxi pickup for Terminal B may require shuttle bus transfer during peak traffic periods. Yellow Taxi pickup for Terminals C and D is via shuttle bus to Terminal A at all times! - https://twitter.com/LGAairport/status/994659741568774155/photo/1

LGA Airport Travel Advisories [Official Site]:
http://laguardiaairport.com/traveladvisories/

LGA Airport - Changes to MTA Bus Routes [Official Site]:
http://laguardiaairport.com/news/cha...-at-laguardia/

LGA-Area Traffic [Google Maps]:
https://www.google.com/maps/@40.7636.../data=!5m1!1e1

NYC DOT Traffic Camera - Grand Central Parkway at 27th Ave (LGA Central Terminal Entrance):
http://dotsignals.org/google_popup.php?cid=679

LGA Redevelopment Website:
https://www.anewlga.com/

LGA New Rideshare / For-Hire Vehicle Rules (as of 5 Apr 2017):
http://laguardiaairport.com/news/fhv-pick-up/
http://www.panynj.gov/press-room/pre...adLine_id=2667
Print Wikipost

LGA Traffic Nightmare: Redevelopment 2016–≈2020; New For-Hire Vehicle & Taxi Pickups

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2017, 11:18 pm

Update?

Just how bad is it these days to/from Central Terminal B by taxi or Uber/Lyft? I'd be traveling mid-day, mid-week.

Is it bad enough to consider EWR instead from Midtown?

Many thanks
Old Jun 19, 2017, 11:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by EWR-6785
Just how bad is it these days to/from Central Terminal B by taxi or Uber/Lyft? I'd be traveling mid-day, mid-week.

Is it bad enough to consider EWR instead from Midtown?

Many thanks
If you're headed to the east side, definitely not. If to the west side, probably not, but it depends where exactly.

You're probably better off in a taxi unless the line is very long.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 1:48 pm
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Note that the taxi line at the FAR RIGHT (West End) as you exit Terminal B (Central Terminal) reopened as of a couple months ago, and generally has a shorter line than the one in the middle (don't recall if that one is open right now).
Old Jun 22, 2017, 8:30 am

Hi Everyone, longtime lurker, first-time poster!

I'm flying out of LGA Terminal D tomorrow and was going to swing by B for the Centurion Lounge. I used to walk from B to C/D no problem, but I read posts on this thread from a few months back that the walkway was closed due to all the construction. Does anyone know if it's still closed? I won't really have any luggage with me, so I'd prefer to walk then deal with the shuttle bus/traffic.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 4:02 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, B6, CX, KE, Latitude, VIFP, Crown & Anchor, etc.
RJK (formely Triborough) Bridge is now cash-less EZ-Pass toll crossing (gone into effect last week) with traffic moving a little easier - on weekends, this will definitely be a faster ride into Manhattan.

Queens Midtown Tunnel continue to have one "tube" closed on weekend for maintenance, upgrade & improvement resulting in 30 to 45+ minutes backup inbound to Manhattan - avoid it as our Carmel drivers had taken the above & other routes instead. Leaving from midtown seemed to be fine if LGA or even JFK bound via I-495.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Letitride3c
RJK (formely Triborough) Bridge is now cash-less EZ-Pass toll crossing (gone into effect last week) with traffic moving a little easier - on weekends, this will definitely be a faster ride into Manhattan.

Queens Midtown Tunnel continue to have one "tube" closed on weekend for maintenance, upgrade & improvement resulting in 30 to 45+ minutes backup inbound to Manhattan - avoid it as our Carmel drivers had taken the above & other routes instead. Leaving from midtown seemed to be fine if LGA or even JFK bound via I-495.
This is 2017. We no longer have to plan our routes based on what is likely to happen due to construction and maintenance and the like. Just turn on Waze and do what it says.

Still, I love the way that so many of your posts sound like I'm listening to traffic on the 8s.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 11:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Blumie
This is 2017. We no longer have to plan our routes based on what is likely to happen due to construction and maintenance and the like. Just turn on Waze and do what it says.

Still, I love the way that so many of your posts sound like I'm listening to traffic on the 8s.
…and the 1s.

Waze….how do you get the best use of it? I see pop up bubble images crowding the screen including stuff about "bonus candy"?? I just want traffic info which I typically get from Google Maps. How is Waze better? It also seems like a data eater and I don't have unlimited data. Google maps is definitely a data eater too so I use that sparingly. Thanks.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 11:59 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Originally Posted by Analise
…and the 1s.

Waze….how do you get the best use of it? I see pop up bubble images crowding the screen including stuff about "bonus candy"?? I just want traffic info which I typically get from Google Maps. How is Waze better? It also seems like a data eater and I don't have unlimited data. Google maps is definitely a data eater too so I use that sparingly. Thanks.
For Waze, just enter your destination, and follow the directions. Sometimes, it'll suggest something that seems really bizarre, but there's (in my experience) always a reason behind it. Doesn't use much data, 3-5MB per hour that the app is in use and you're driving.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 12:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

…and the 1s.

I think there are options on Waze to turn off a lot of that noise. That's the type of stuff that would annoy me, but I don't recall seeing it in a long, long time, which suggests to me that I figured out how to turn it off.

I don't have unlimited data either, but I drive a lot in NYC and use Waze all the time, and have never had an issue. It does burn through your phone battery if you keep the screen lit up, so it's best if you are able to have the phone plugged in while using it.

I happen to think that I have an above average sense of direction, and know my way around really, really well, but I still use Waze every time. As cestmoi123 points out, sometimes it has you go bizarre routes, but there's always a reason. Waze has taken me numerous different ways back to Williamsburg avoiding bumper-to-bumper traffic on the LIE and/or the BQE, and I'm amazed every time. The only time Waze let me down was on an early morning run to LGA when Waze didn't know it was garbage collection day in my neighborhood, and every street it sent me down was blocked by a garbage truck! But of course it adjusts its routing in real time, so I maneuvered on my own to avoid the garbage trucks and then let Waze take over once I was beyond them.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 2:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Thanks to both of you. Waze not knowing about the garbage trucks is still giving me a laugh; that said, I would have been frustrated sitting behind the trucks on the advice of Waze. I guess other Waze users didn't make that info known?
Old Jun 23, 2017, 10:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks to both of you. Waze not knowing about the garbage trucks is still giving me a laugh; that said, I would have been frustrated sitting behind the trucks on the advice of Waze. I guess other Waze users didn't make that info known?
I like to think that Waze observed my evasive maneuvers, and observed other Waze users who didn't know better than to go down a street on which a garbage truck was collecting rubbing, and used the data to better guide other drivers!
Old Jun 24, 2017, 12:59 pm

Programs: UAL 1K MM, AA Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hertz President's Circle, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, Amex Plat
If you are arriving at Terminal B in LGA do not even bother taking the shuttle to the ride-share "parking lot" or waiting for a taxi. Either one is a completely unpleasant experience right now. I'd walk to Terminal C and have your ride-share pick you up there.
Old Jun 24, 2017, 9:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Blumie
I think there are options on Waze to turn off a lot of that noise. That's the type of stuff that would annoy me, but I don't recall seeing it in a long, long time, which suggests to me that I figured out how to turn it off.
I tried Waze a couple of times a few years ago and it looked like a kids video game. Not a productivity app. Didn't bother to try to change settings. Maybe it's better now?

I happen to think that I have an above average sense of direction, and know my way around really, really well, but I still use Waze every time. As cestmoi123 points out, sometimes it has you go bizarre routes, but there's always a reason.
Ah - but do you really know that Waze got you there any faster?

I guess my question is still - how is Waze different from or better than plain old Google Maps?
Old Jun 25, 2017, 1:09 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Originally Posted by Letitride3c
I took the M60 yesterday morning and noted that the traffic on the RFK was moving much better now that the removal of the toll booths have been completed, especially the Bronx-bound direction.
Old Jun 25, 2017, 6:40 pm

Hi there. I plan on finding possible street parking around 102nd street bridge for a July 4th weekend trip. Is it possible to walk this bridge and walk between Terminals C/B? I heard the construction for a bit may have made it impossible to walk between those two terminals?

Thank you for any info.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.