Community
Wiki Posts
Search

National/ Alamo FAQs and Questions

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2023, 6:25 pm

Originally Posted by DJMbenga
Hey everyone. I'm Exec Elite with National, I typically get 30-day rentals via work and use my airports emerald aisle/executive selection to choose a car. Lately, I've been passing by the airport more often with work and I'm wondering if it's okay if I exchanged my car every week or so just to try a variety of different vehicles out (planning on purchasing something soon). Is there any limit to the amount of exchanges you can do on a single 30-day reservation? I have exchanged middle of rental once in the past and it was quick and easy and they didn't even ask for a reason so I assume they don't really mind but I just want to make sure there's nothing against this.
I was told officially you are not allowed to unless there is a maintenance or safety concern with the car. However, I don't think anything stops the station from letting you change the car - it seems like they can easily do it on the tablet. I was once not happy with a car I got from Enterprise and they changed the car right away. I think the station's only concern with frequent car changes is that they need to clean the car in between uses (and that takes up labor and $).
Xyzzy and funnyfarm299 like this.
Old Dec 12, 2023, 1:07 pm

I recently had 3 consecutive 30 day reservations with National, I am also Exec-Elite. Keep in mind this was at a local branch while the company car that was ordered for me arrived, not an airport.

I exchanged the car every 30 days to try something different. During the last 30 day period, I exchanged at the 13 day mark and again at the 25 day mark. I didn't specify a maintenance reason, just "preference", and by this time the guys at the branch knew me. Anyway, one of them told me that on a 30 day reservation they're limited to two exchanges.
Old Jan 9, 2024, 2:31 pm

Perhaps an obvious question but I couldn't find an answer right away... According to my profile my EE status will expire at the end of february. The status is based on rentals/days in a calendar year, so am I right to assume this means the previous year - 2023? If so, I'm curious why it expires in late february, not jan 1st?

Additionally, where can I view my rental days for said calendar year? The National website and app only show YTD numbers, meaning 1/1/24-today. I can't find 2023 number anywhere. My past trips don't show a rental that ended on 1/5/2023 even though it should show 13 months...
Old Jan 18, 2024, 11:43 pm

Programs: National Executive, Marriott Silver Elite
Got a new job where I am allowed to use National's service on company travel and also leisure. I have already a few company trips coming soon, but I want to get status by the end of the year. If I get 12 rentals worth or 40 days sometime during the year, do I get status at that point for the rest of the year? Or do I have to wait until next year to be able to use ES?
Old Jan 19, 2024, 10:44 am

Programs: Hilton-Diamond; National-EE; Hertz-PC; WN-A* List
Originally Posted by Pahloco
Perhaps an obvious question but I couldn't find an answer right away... According to my profile my EE status will expire at the end of february. The status is based on rentals/days in a calendar year, so am I right to assume this means the previous year - 2023? If so, I'm curious why it expires in late february, not jan 1st?

Additionally, where can I view my rental days for said calendar year? The National website and app only show YTD numbers, meaning 1/1/24-today. I can't find 2023 number anywhere. My past trips don't show a rental that ended on 1/5/2023 even though it should show 13 months...
i get monthly update emails from National that have my year to date rentals from national and enterprise and also my rental days. They just sent one a few days back that was recap of 2023.
Old Jan 30, 2024, 10:25 am

Question about rental reward on National vs Enterprise:

I'm EE with National and Gold with Enterprise. I understand that I can use either program to earn a reward for each system. Generally, is it better to use the National reward program for a one-day rental and anything else using the Enterprise program?
Old Jan 30, 2024, 7:09 pm

Originally Posted by lleung1980
Question about rental reward on National vs Enterprise:

I'm EE with National and Gold with Enterprise. I understand that I can use either program to earn a reward for each system. Generally, is it better to use the National reward program for a one-day rental and anything else using the Enterprise program?
Enterprise does their best to hide the redemption rate for the Enterprise Plus program, which immediately made me suspicious. Even in the terms and condtions it says
Points required for each Free Rental Day will vary depending on the combination of the rental pickup location, car class and time period of rental.
I'm apprehensive of programs with variable redemption rates. National lets me use free days for almost any class (including luxury cars), at any time, even on one-way rentals. To me that's worth putting all my rentals on National.
Old Feb 5, 2024, 12:00 pm

Programs: Marriott, United, Enterprise
Does anyone else have issues with ENT's site when it comes to point redemption? Looking to rent at IAH for 30 hours, Sun evening to Mon night. Went online, The site sez 1250/day=2500 points, which I have. I click on redeem points, next page shows a lot of fields as 'undefined', which rings alarm bells. But I click on 'redeem' again and...nothing. No spinning circles, no timeout--nothing.

I did call ENT's 800 number, transferred twice, and was told to use the app. I did so, the summary wanted to deduct 2500 points and then charge me ~$60, so I backed out.

Is this a case where the totals are right because of the Harris County Mafia's 'service' fees? I've never had an additional charge when I used points before.

ENT's C/S did inform me that the web-based site has problems.

Thanks!
Old Feb 22, 2024, 9:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
So if I have 3 free rental days, and I'm just a lonely Emerald, what kind of upgrade can happen, if I go to the Executive aisle am just charged for the price difference? OR can someone help maximize for a better car?
Old Mar 7, 2024, 1:52 pm

Hello, I am about to make my first National Car booking and thanks to Status Match I am Executive Elite. According to the description, I am entitled to a guaranteed upgrade when I book. If I book a Premium Aisle, can I choose from the Luxury Aisle in addition to the Executive Aisle? Or what is meant by upgrade?
Old Mar 8, 2024, 8:46 am
Moderator: National Car

Programs: Delta PM, National EE, Hertz PC, Hilton DM
Originally Posted by CGNGio
Hello, I am about to make my first National Car booking and thanks to Status Match I am Executive Elite. According to the description, I am entitled to a guaranteed upgrade when I book. If I book a Premium Aisle, can I choose from the Luxury Aisle in addition to the Executive Aisle? Or what is meant by upgrade?
They only have to offer an upgrade on a midsize (regular Emerald club) or full size (same price as midsize for Exec/Exec Elite). For other classes, you are supposed to take from the reserved class. Of course, as with many things travel-related, it's a YMMV situation.

As an EE, if you book mid
size or fullsize, you get access to the Executive Selection area, which will usually have a variety of classes to choose from (SUV, fullsize sedans, pickups, etc.).
As an EE, if you book Premium, you get access to Premium Reserve, or ES area.

Premium these days is usually a Nissan Maxima or Chrysler 300 (though the latter are reportedly creeping into LCAR at many stations), so you have to decide if that's worthwhile in terms of a cost upgrade.
funnyfarm299 likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2024, 10:18 am

Originally Posted by dwbf11
They only have to offer an upgrade on a midsize (regular Emerald club) or full size (same price as midsize for Exec/Exec Elite). For other classes, you are supposed to take from the reserved class. Of course, as with many things travel-related, it's a YMMV situation.

As an EE, if you book mid
size or fullsize, you get access to the Executive Selection area, which will usually have a variety of classes to choose from (SUV, fullsize sedans, pickups, etc.).
As an EE, if you book Premium, you get access to Premium Reserve, or ES area.

Premium these days is usually a Nissan Maxima or Chrysler 300 (though the latter are reportedly creeping into LCAR at many stations), so you have to decide if that's worthwhile in terms of a cost upgrade.
oh okay, the luxury class is listed as BMW and Audi and I had seen a few videos where there were a few big ones in the choice line. Then it probably doesn't make sense to book something expensive but instead look in the aisle. I don't need a specific car size, I'd like something nice
Old Mar 9, 2024, 9:39 am

Programs: AC 75K, BA Gold, Marriott Platinum, National EE, Sixt Platinum, Hertz PC, AVIS PC
Originally Posted by CGNGio
If you book a Full Size you pay for a Mid Size. That's your guaranteed upgrade.

Ron.
Old Mar 17, 2024, 12:48 pm

Read one can do exchanges between different locations so tried swapping out a car w/ cigarette smell we rented in Seattle (non-airport) at SEA.

Stopped car at normal return lanes, talked to the person there and things were all good. Then we proceeded to counter, but as soon as the agent pulled up our RA the tone suddenly changed and they were like "No, can't help you here" "You need to go to the where you picked up the car" "If they are closed you're out of luck". Didn't want to push it so just left. Later called National asking if exchanges are okay, and they were like of course. Called another location which is like yes, but we are busy and have no cars.

Really confused now. I will drive by another location. Maybe I'll pop in and find out.
Old Apr 14, 2024, 4:34 pm

Programs: KL Flying Blue
I just lost my Exec status and back to Club - anyone ever managed to get a status match with an airline status (instead of status with another car rental company)? I have KLM Flying Blue Gold...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.