Community
Wiki Posts
Search

National/ Alamo FAQs and Questions

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2014, 3:24 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott Plat, National EE
I was in this situation twice and called. Both times the station said that they kept the reservations until midnight. Your mileage may vary. I would call the station directly.
Old Apr 30, 2014, 5:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by VanquishShadow
How long does National hold your reservation for late pick-ups?

I made a 7-day reservation beginning at 12noon on a Wed, and now I know I'll prob get to the airport around 5p. I tried revising the reservation to reflect my later arrival, but it threw up a significantly higher rate (it now doesn't let me use an entertainment.com coupon with the UA contract code) so I'm wondering if I should just leave it as it were and maybe call in on the day saying that my arrival got delayed.

The difference in price is about $100.
Official policy with National is "same day." It gets murky if you have a late reservation and (assuming the station is open) arrive after midnight, but anything later on the same calendar day is fine.

Some other agencies do hold to a two-to-six-hour no-show policy, though. But you generally don't need to worry about that with the big three (National/Avis/Hertz).
Old May 13, 2014, 1:56 pm

Programs: AAEXP, BASlv, UAGold, Hyatt Diam, IHG Plt, SPG Plt, HH Diam, MR Plat, CC Gold, Nat ExecElite
Early Pickup?

I actually have sort of the opposite question as above. Pricing out a Thursday - Monday weekend rental in a few weeks. I'm arriving late Thursday (i.e. 10-11pm). If I make a reservation for 10pm Thursday through 5pm Monday (4 days total) I get a rate of $23.98 per day. However, if I make a reservation for Friday morning 12AM (2 hours later) with the same return time (still 4 days total) I get a rate of $18.38 per day. So I'm sure if I had a 12AM reservation and picked the car up at 11:45pm (15 minutes early) it probably shouldn't be an issue. But what if I picked it up 2 hours earlier? 3 hours earlier? Is there a specific time that I can pick up a rental in advance without the rental being re-priced?
Old May 27, 2014, 3:03 pm

Question Weird Reservation details.

A travel agency made a reservation at national for me and it showed up like this for 3 days.

(1) Time & Distance ($84.79/Variable) $84.79

What does it mean? Anyone ever seen that?

Thank you
Old May 27, 2014, 7:11 pm
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Originally Posted by powermax
A travel agency made a reservation at national for me and it showed up like this for 3 days.

Thank you
It often does show up like that especially with some codes - I know the AMEX one usually displays the rate that way.
Old May 27, 2014, 7:39 pm

Thanks Peteropny I've never seen it before.

Originally Posted by peteropny
Quote:

Originally Posted by powermax

Thank you

It often does show up like that especially with some codes - I know the AMEX one usually displays the rate that way.
Old Jul 11, 2014, 1:07 pm

Programs: Southwest CP, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, Club Carlson Gold
I may not be asking this in the proper area. Please point me in the right direction if that is the case.

I recently received my World Elite Matercard (Barclay Arrival Plus) and discovered that my Emerald Club membership can be upgraded to Executive Level Membership for a year. I called the number listed on this site and spoke to an agent who proceeded to attempt to sign me up as a new member. I explained numerous times that I was only looking for the free upgrade to Executive Club and she ended up sending me the link via email that is already available on the referenced website.

How do I go about taking advantage of the Executive Club membership? HUCA?
Old Jul 13, 2014, 2:03 pm
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Originally Posted by WhoGoesThere
I may not be asking this in the proper area. Please point me in the right direction if that is the case.

I recently received my World Elite Matercard (Barclay Arrival Plus) and discovered that my Emerald Club membership can be upgraded to Executive Level Membership for a year. I called the number listed on this site and spoke to an agent who proceeded to attempt to sign me up as a new member. I explained numerous times that I was only looking for the free upgrade to Executive Club and she ended up sending me the link via email that is already available on the referenced website.

How do I go about taking advantage of the Executive Club membership? HUCA?
Call back and let them create a new account - once activated, you can call National CS to have the accounts merged.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 4:13 pm

Does anyone know if I can add my emerald number and use executive aisle for reservation booked through chase ultimate reward or capital one?
Old Jul 30, 2014, 9:01 am
RJ1

These FAQ's have been enlightening for me. I can't believe I had not read them before. I've been at the ES level for several years, and never knew I could make a reservation for a full size at the mid size price. I was aware that I could SELECT one from the EA or ES aisles, but didn't know I could actually reserve one. I just always went with the default mid size in the reservation, and selected the best car available in the aisles.

Just to confirm, if I have a full size reservation, I can select any car from the EA or ES aisles, OR from the aisle for full size cars, correct?

If I select one from the full size aisle, do I need to let anyone know, or am I good to go?
Old Jul 30, 2014, 12:16 pm

Programs: National Executive Elite, Avis Chairmans Club, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by RJ1
These FAQ's have been enlightening for me. I can't believe I had not read them before. I've been at the ES level for several years, and never knew I could make a reservation for a full size at the mid size price. I was aware that I could SELECT one from the EA or ES aisles, but didn't know I could actually reserve one. I just always went with the default mid size in the reservation, and selected the best car available in the aisles.

Just to confirm, if I have a full size reservation, I can select any car from the EA or ES aisles, OR from the aisle for full size cars, correct?

If I select one from the full size aisle, do I need to let anyone know, or am I good to go?
You don't need to let anyone know. You should really be able to take any vehicle off either aisle, or and car that is full size or lower class. Just proceed to the exit booth after you choose your vehicle.
Old Aug 6, 2014, 8:55 am

Just for info: I am renting at Las Vegas
A perhaps simple question can I book a car as a non UK citizen at nationalcars.co.uk? Or do I have to book at nationalcars.com. Reason I booked here is because the prices look lot better compared to the .com site including ldw and sli. I'm am not from the US or Canada either. Did notice that the deal get additional driver for free has the following terms and condition:

This offer is available to UK residents only, and is not applicable to residents of the USA or Canada or holders of USA or Canadian driving licenses. Subject to availability and driver qualifications. Additional drivers must be age 25 and over. This offer is only available on prepay rentals.

So I did not pick this option and booked without free driver and did not see this term and condition and picked the NOT prepay option just to be sure. Will I encounter problems when I pickup my Intermediate SUV. And in my reservation details I see:

Prices given on this website are not applicable to residents of the USA or Canada or holders of USA or Canadian driving licenses. By making a reservation on this site you confirm that you reside outside the USA or Canada and are not a holder of a USA or Canadian driving license and accept that your reservation may be rejected at the time of pick-up if a USA or Canadian driving license is presented.

Question
1. I think this would mean it is no problem at all I assume?
2. I've been going trough lots of pages on flyertalk Cars at LAS but I see thinkgs like there are no suv's or something like that what would be strange. I picked Intermediate SUV indication Toyota RAV4 or similar. Anybody can confirm what type of intermediate SUV's I can picK at Las Vegas McCarren Airport?

Last edited by Carel; Aug 6, 2014 at 9:52 am
Old Aug 13, 2014, 12:02 pm

If you notice a car you like at National but you have an Alamo reservation, assuming it's in your reserved class are there negative consequences if you just drive it to the booth? I'm thinking of a situation where a National location might have better LCAR's in the PS section (I often see reports of XTS and CTS, both LCAR, offered as $50 upgrades in Premium Selection) than the Alamo side had on the LCAR aisle, and you hold an LCAR reservation....
Old Aug 15, 2014, 7:54 am

Great forum I am just starting to sift through, thanks for all the help everyone. Is it possible to rent elite cars (i.e. BMW X3/Volvo V60) as a standard, non-executive emerald club member? I assume that for some price they would be willing to upgrade you, but what exactly would be the best way of going about it?
Old Aug 15, 2014, 10:38 am

Originally Posted by Sing1eMalt
Great forum I am just starting to sift through, thanks for all the help everyone. Is it possible to rent elite cars (i.e. BMW X3/Volvo V60) as a standard, non-executive emerald club member? I assume that for some price they would be willing to upgrade you, but what exactly would be the best way of going about it?
I would imagine the best way to acheive this is one of two ways:

a) Rent LCAR, anecdotally they seem to like pretending a Volvo is a luxury car and handing them out with LCAR reservations - you can often get a GXAR class vehicle with an LCAR reservation

b) Select one with the upgrade fee from the Premier Selection on a regular reservation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.