National/ Alamo FAQs and Questions

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2023, 8:15 am

Programs: A3 Gold, HH Diamond
(Xxxx)

Last edited by Edlington; Aug 17, 2023 at 1:11 pm
Old Aug 13, 2023, 8:44 am

Programs: BA Gold
Apologies in advance if this is already answered but I couldn’t find anything. If I’m Exec Elite and rent a car that’s says go to aisle, Full Size, but the rental is after status has expired and I didn’t meet renewal requirement what happens. Does status at booking count or do you need status at collection?
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Aug 14, 2023, 11:15 am
Moderator: National Car

Programs: Delta PM, National EE, Hertz PC, Hilton DM
Originally Posted by dougzz
Apologies in advance if this is already answered but I couldn’t find anything. If I’m Exec Elite and rent a car that’s says go to aisle, Full Size, but the rental is after status has expired and I didn’t meet renewal requirement what happens. Does status at booking count or do you need status at collection?
Status at collection.

But even if you're just an Executive (not an elite), the process wouldn't be any different.

And even if you have just regular Emerald Club status, you'd still go to the Emerald Aisle and pick whatever is there for you.
Xyzzy, Auto Enthusiast and dougzz like this.
Old Aug 14, 2023, 9:48 pm

The problem could be if you used Executive or Executive Elite status to reserve something you otherwise couldn't do- fullsize at the midsize price, premium at the fullsize price, free day with a specialty vehicle, etc.
Old Aug 16, 2023, 2:18 pm

Basic question - Re - Tolls
Renting an SUV at DFW location. Will the SUV already have a transponder or toll tag? Or do I have to get it just before driving off the lot?
It is a 2-day rental (spanning three days of the week). However, I intend to use toll lanes in the DFW area.
Old Aug 17, 2023, 9:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by ft4lyf
Basic question - Re - Tolls
Renting an SUV at DFW location. Will the SUV already have a transponder or toll tag? Or do I have to get it just before driving off the lot?
It is a 2-day rental (spanning three days of the week). However, I intend to use toll lanes in the DFW area.
Texas typically uses label-sized tags, not big bulky transponders (I think one of the Texas toll agencies does sell portable transponders, but they're uncommon and not found in rental cars).

I actually can't recall if rental cars in Texas typically come with toll tags, but if they don't, the toll agencies bill toll usage by license plate, so regardless, from your perspective, I don't think there's anything to do (no transponder to collect)--simply drive your rental car on a toll road and you'll get charged in accordance with National's policy for Texas. Worth asking the rental agent when you pick up to clarify, though.
Old Aug 17, 2023, 9:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by jackal
(I think one of the Texas toll agencies does sell portable transponders, but they're uncommon and not found in rental cars).
As of a few years ago the only way to get a portable transponder for use in TX was t get a K-Tag.
Old Aug 17, 2023, 7:24 pm

Thank you all!
Update from DFW—
as jackal said —- there is no tag or transponder.
The license plate is read by the toll plaza and billed. They said it can take upto six weeks to get the toll bills.

Had to drive back to airport To get everyone…
For the toll to enter/exit the airport — we had to get a physical ticket at the booth and pay by credit card. You can’t drive through the automated lanes to enter/exit the airport. Luckily I asked about this at National before driving to airport!
Old Sep 13, 2023, 3:46 pm

Originally Posted by ft4lyf
Thank you all!
Update from DFW—
as jackal said —- there is no tag or transponder.
The license plate is read by the toll plaza and billed. They said it can take upto six weeks to get the toll bills.

Had to drive back to airport To get everyone…
For the toll to enter/exit the airport — we had to get a physical ticket at the booth and pay by credit card. You can’t drive through the automated lanes to enter/exit the airport. Luckily I asked about this at National before driving to airport!
Hello all - One more update - I got the toll receipts -

There is a daily service charge for using the toll lanes.

The service charge is called "Toll Pass Convenience Fee" on the statement (3.95$ per day up to a maximum of 19.75$ per rental).
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Sep 15, 2023, 6:52 pm

Hi All. Just wanted to confirm - I am an executive member and reserved a car from Luxury category (it was the cheapest for some reason). I can still also pick from Executive isle as well (in case cars are better than lux), without being charged a higher midsize rate, correct?
Old Sep 15, 2023, 6:55 pm
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

Technically, no. They may allow it but they don’t have to. What you have is called Emerald Reserve service which is different than Emerald Aisle service when you reserve a midsize.
Old Oct 15, 2023, 8:54 am

Alamo - Skip the counter. Do I have to bring the piece of paper to drive out of the parking lot or is a digital copy on my mobile enough?
Old Oct 31, 2023, 8:08 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Hello all, new potential National customer here. Hilton Aspire added a perk so now I'm an Exec level customer. Apparently it enters "emerald club members" as the rate code. However, I've checked rates for my next 12 rentals and National is 2x Hertz, Budget, and Enterprise. Shocking rates actually. I'm not trying to find a contract ID I am not eligible for - but wondering, are there any generally good contract IDs like for AAA, AARP, Mastercard/Visa credit card cardholders, Airline loyalty programs, etc? Ones that are easy for me to acquire (or that I may already hold)?
Old Nov 5, 2023, 2:08 pm

Programs: National Executive Elite
Hey everyone. I'm Exec Elite with National, I typically get 30-day rentals via work and use my airports emerald aisle/executive selection to choose a car. Lately, I've been passing by the airport more often with work and I'm wondering if it's okay if I exchanged my car every week or so just to try a variety of different vehicles out (planning on purchasing something soon). Is there any limit to the amount of exchanges you can do on a single 30-day reservation? I have exchanged middle of rental once in the past and it was quick and easy and they didn't even ask for a reason so I assume they don't really mind but I just want to make sure there's nothing against this.
Old Nov 6, 2023, 11:12 am

Originally Posted by DJMbenga
Hey everyone. I'm Exec Elite with National, I typically get 30-day rentals via work and use my airports emerald aisle/executive selection to choose a car. Lately, I've been passing by the airport more often with work and I'm wondering if it's okay if I exchanged my car every week or so just to try a variety of different vehicles out (planning on purchasing something soon). Is there any limit to the amount of exchanges you can do on a single 30-day reservation? I have exchanged middle of rental once in the past and it was quick and easy and they didn't even ask for a reason so I assume they don't really mind but I just want to make sure there's nothing against this.
I don't think there's any hard and fast policy but National is generally flexible, especially if you're an EE. If it's the same airport every time, chat with the staff and ask them. They might tell you they'd be happy to do it but only on specific days of the week, or something like that.
oftech likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.