National/ Alamo FAQs and Questions

Old Aug 25, 22, 9:08 am
  #1396  
 
Join Date: Aug 2022
Programs: National Executive Elite
Posts: 6
Thanks!
donutz11 is offline  
Old Oct 12, 22, 6:29 am
  #1397  
 
Join Date: Oct 2022
Posts: 5
Hi, we need a standard or full-sized SUV for our winter trip to America in this December, preferably a 4WD. We will be arriving at LAX. As a EC member I can book a midsize car and get access to the Aisle, but the SUV choices in the aisle are quite limited apparently. (If I'm mistaken and there are consistent amounts of big SUVs at LAX Emerald Aisle please let me know.)

I have 2 choices: Book the midsize car, and upgrade to a standard or full-sized SUV at LAX if there aren't any good SUVs on the Aisle, or directly book a standard SUV online (don't know why there isn't a full-sized SUV option online). My question is: If I were to book a standard SUV, will I still get Emerald Club privileges like shorter queue times, less hassle in the car-taking process? Will I get a rage of SUVs to chose from (like full-size) or will I be forcefully assigned to one? If I were to book a midsize car (for the Aisle), do I need money to upgrade to standard and full-size SUVs in case there are none in the Aisle? How much would this upgrade cost and where can I find the SUVs?

Thank you for your advice!
D3ranged is offline  
Old Oct 12, 22, 11:43 am
  #1398  
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 55
My understanding is if you reserve midsize or greater you have access to EI. So if the minimum you want is a midsize SUV then reserve that class. Then you should be guarantee that class at least.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
dougfoglesong is offline  
Old Oct 12, 22, 2:57 pm
  #1399  
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: www.autoslash.com
Posts: 5,443
Originally Posted by D3ranged View Post
Hi, we need a standard or full-sized SUV for our winter trip to America in this December, preferably a 4WD. We will be arriving at LAX. As a EC member I can book a midsize car and get access to the Aisle, but the SUV choices in the aisle are quite limited apparently. (If I'm mistaken and there are consistent amounts of big SUVs at LAX Emerald Aisle please let me know.)

I have 2 choices: Book the midsize car, and upgrade to a standard or full-sized SUV at LAX if there aren't any good SUVs on the Aisle, or directly book a standard SUV online (don't know why there isn't a full-sized SUV option online). My question is: If I were to book a standard SUV, will I still get Emerald Club privileges like shorter queue times, less hassle in the car-taking process? Will I get a rage of SUVs to chose from (like full-size) or will I be forcefully assigned to one? If I were to book a midsize car (for the Aisle), do I need money to upgrade to standard and full-size SUVs in case there are none in the Aisle? How much would this upgrade cost and where can I find the SUVs?

Thank you for your advice!
What most folks in the know do is that they book an intermediate car reservation and then book a reservation for the class they actually want (this is known as Emerald Reserve). Check the aisle first to see if they have what you want. If so, use the mobile app to cancel the SUV reservation.

If not, fall back to your Emerald Reserve reservation and grab an SUV from the SUV section (or wherever they direct you). You can cancel your midsize car reservation, or not, it probably doesn't matter much at that point.

Make the reservations for an hour or two after you plan to be there so you can cancel the one you won't be using because once the pickup time passes, you may no longer be able to cancel via the app.
AutoSlash is offline  
Old Jan 5, 23, 3:21 pm
  #1400  
 
Join Date: Dec 2022
Posts: 54
Why are Dodge Chargers FCAR and not PCAR despite Chargers costing more than the usual FCARs? How do people feel about getting a Charger over a Camry etc usually? Would it be seen as one of the better FCARs? I did previously get a Jeep Compass on a PCAR and I was very disappointed at the quality of the interior and I am not sure if I would feel the same about a Charger.
huskyflyer is offline  
Old Jan 7, 23, 2:25 am
  #1401  
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 3,240
Originally Posted by huskyflyer View Post
Why are Dodge Chargers FCAR and not PCAR despite Chargers costing more than the usual FCARs? How do people feel about getting a Charger over a Camry etc usually? Would it be seen as one of the better FCARs? I did previously get a Jeep Compass on a PCAR and I was very disappointed at the quality of the interior and I am not sure if I would feel the same about a Charger.
The Charger hasn't really been updated since it was released so the interior is dated, but National's usually have leather seats. As an RWD V6, I'd take it over most FCARs. Sadly it's being discontinued.
Sig20jlb likes this.
m907 is offline  
Old Jan 7, 23, 7:01 pm
  #1402  
 
Join Date: Dec 2022
Posts: 54
Originally Posted by m907 View Post
The Charger hasn't really been updated since it was released so the interior is dated, but National's usually have leather seats. As an RWD V6, I'd take it over most FCARs. Sadly it's being discontinued.
Thanks! was the Charger always FCAR then or was it once PCAR before it became outdated?

I am surprised they put it into the same category as a Camry that cost less and the Chrysler 300 is a LCAR. I guess it could be that they get Chargers at a much better discount than Camrys since I get the sense most Chargers and 300s on the road are rentals. On PCARs, I have been getting GXARs pretty frequently or a Intermediate SUV (but I choose PCAR to try to get a Charger).
huskyflyer is offline  
Old Jan 16, 23, 5:46 pm
  #1403  
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 168
Any guidance as to what I'm likely to see for an LCAR (two separate rentals, DEN and EWR) or possibly a CFAR (EWR)?
BernardBlack is offline  
Old Jan 16, 23, 5:47 pm
  #1404  
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Latin America and USA
Programs: UA 1K, AA Gold, Marriott Gold
Posts: 322
I rented a car from National at DEN for December 17, 2022 - January 30, 2023. After departing with my car I saw on my contract it said 12/17/22 - 1/16/23, despite my reservation as recorded via email being correctly noted or 12/17/22 - 1/30/23. I called National and asked them to fix the problem. The agent explained that contracts for longer term rentals would only issue for 30 days at a time, and that on 1/16 the first 30 day contract would automatically close out, and a contract for the remainder of my rental would then be emailed to me. She confirmed she could see my actual reservation, and provided relevant details from it, so I believe her.

It's now 1/16 after the 'drop off time' on the initial contract, and I haven't received the updated contract yet. Is this something I should call National about now? Or give it a day or two and see if it sorts out just like the phone agent explained?

I imagine it's probably fine... but I've heard of other rental car companies erroneously reporting cars stolen and having people arrested, and I'd like to avoid any drama.

Thanks in advance!
Auto Enthusiast and Sig20jlb like this.
IMissThe747 is offline  
Old Jan 17, 23, 11:15 am
  #1405  
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Latin America and USA
Programs: UA 1K, AA Gold, Marriott Gold
Posts: 322
Originally Posted by IMissThe747 View Post
I rented a car from National at DEN for December 17, 2022 - January 30, 2023. After departing with my car I saw on my contract it said 12/17/22 - 1/16/23, despite my reservation as recorded via email being correctly noted or 12/17/22 - 1/30/23. I called National and asked them to fix the problem. The agent explained that contracts for longer term rentals would only issue for 30 days at a time, and that on 1/16 the first 30 day contract would automatically close out, and a contract for the remainder of my rental would then be emailed to me. She confirmed she could see my actual reservation, and provided relevant details from it, so I believe her.

It's now 1/16 after the 'drop off time' on the initial contract, and I haven't received the updated contract yet. Is this something I should call National about now? Or give it a day or two and see if it sorts out just like the phone agent explained?

I imagine it's probably fine... but I've heard of other rental car companies erroneously reporting cars stolen and having people arrested, and I'd like to avoid any drama.

Thanks in advance!
Following up for the crowd... overnight National did indeed send me a new rental contract for the remainder of my rental reservation, exactly as they said they would. So, I guess that's how it works for rentals longer than 30 days.
IMissThe747 is offline  
Old Jan 17, 23, 3:21 pm
  #1406  
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 168
The rate for FFAR for an upcoming Alamo rental at EWR is only a couple of bucks more in total than the cheapest (a CCAR).

I've driven a Tahoe on rentals before and really liked the tank feel, but I won't have my family and I'll be in New Jersey so something that huge isn't necessary.

Will they let me choose from a cheaper class with no upcharge on a prepaid broker reservation if I like something else better? What's "downgrade" from FFAR? Probably SFAR but what about LCAR or STAR or a smaller but more fun crossover?
BernardBlack is offline  
Old Jan 20, 23, 7:33 pm
  #1407  
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Programs: Marriott Rewards Ambassador Elite, United Silver, Hertz Five Star
Posts: 128
Has this happened to anyone who used Drop & Go?

I dropped off car this morning at 10:30 AM, Seattle airport. The return time was 12:30. Before my flight took off, around 1:30 I noticed it was shown in the app as not returned. I called customer service and they said donít worry about it, this happens.

However, it is now evening time and itís still not showing as returned. The car was dropped off about 8 hours ago. Should I call them back and find out whatís happening? I havenít received a receipt, either.
​​​​
mciampa is offline  
Old Jan 23, 23, 6:18 pm
  #1408  
 
Join Date: Dec 2022
Posts: 54
How do they decide what cars go on ES/EA? Is it based on a computer AI that the manager then passes to various staff or is it very solely based on the discretion of the various staff members that drive/park the cars? Also how do you report damages on a car you found in ES/EA if you just drive up to leave the parking lot
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
huskyflyer is offline  
Old Jan 25, 23, 1:57 am
  #1409  
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 3,240
Originally Posted by huskyflyer View Post
How do they decide what cars go on ES/EA? Is it based on a computer AI that the manager then passes to various staff or is it very solely based on the discretion of the various staff members that drive/park the cars? Also how do you report damages on a car you found in ES/EA if you just drive up to leave the parking lot
Since some locations are stingy and some are generous, I think it's based on the managers.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
m907 is offline  
Old Feb 1, 23, 4:04 pm
  #1410  
 
Join Date: Dec 2022
Posts: 54
Originally Posted by m907 View Post
Since some locations are stingy and some are generous, I think it's based on the managers.
Hmm yeah I wonder what goes on in deciding or how much discretion managers outsource. I just read through threads for a number of different airports and it seems like some including LAX have BMWs, Mercedes etc that do show up sometimes on ES while YYZ seems to never have any premium like cars on ES.

I wonder why other car rentals have not allowed for this level of choice or why some city downtown branches couldn't do something similar like at least give a few options to choose from. I hate being that customer that asks the counter at a downtown branch asking what other cars they have and I have always been curious how the rental agent chooses which car to assign to you in those cases too
huskyflyer is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread