Community
Wiki Posts
Search

National/ Alamo FAQs and Questions

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2013, 12:06 pm

Programs: OMNI Platinum
Originally Posted by jackal
I would book the van separately. There's no guarantee they won't try to charge you for an "upgrade" to a van when you arrive and change your mind, even if they could originally have been booked for the same rate. Just book both of the reservations for an hour or so after you actually plan on picking the cars up so that you can cancel whichever res you aren't going to use--this will help avoid confusing the rental agent pulling up the wrong reservation and then subsequently charging you for an upgrade. (You can't modify/cancel a res after its scheduled pick-up time.)

You might also want to drop by a Chevy dealer and take a look at the Tahoe before showing up. That may help you make your decision in advance. As for other "or similar" possible FFARs, the other threads in this forum with vehicle reports from various airports may help you determine which SUVs you're likely to find at that location.
When you say book the reservation for an hour or so after, you mean make the second booking for an hour after the original pickup?

Currently I have a rental for the Tahoe with a pickup at 1pm next week, so should i do the van for 2pm? Sorry I'm not sure what you meant. Also Alamo doesn't ask for a credit card like others for making a reservation, but the reservation is still good?
Old May 6, 2013, 1:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by ewrfox
When you say book the reservation for an hour or so after, you mean make the second booking for an hour after the original pickup?

Currently I have a rental for the Tahoe with a pickup at 1pm next week, so should i do the van for 2pm? Sorry I'm not sure what you meant. Also Alamo doesn't ask for a credit card like others for making a reservation, but the reservation is still good?
No, I mean if you're scheduled to land at 10:30am and plan on picking the car up at 11:00am, make both of your reservations for 12:00pm. Then when you arrive on the lot at 11:00am and see what they have available, if you don't like the SUV, then you have an hour to pull up your reservation on your phone (or call, if you don't have a smartphone) and cancel the SUV reservation. That way, when you get to the exit gate, the agent won't accidentally pull the SUV reservation up when you're trying to drive off the lot in a van.

(So many people double-book either knowingly or unknowingly that the rental agency won't care--only Fox, IIRC, has an actual policy that states they will cancel any double-booked reservations. No other agency and certainly none of the majors will care about or take adverse action on your double-booking.)

If you book your SUV reservation for 11:00am and show up on the lot at 11:02am and don't like the SUV, you can no longer cancel the SUV reservation as it's after the scheduled pick-up time of 11:00 am and the reservation cannot be modified or canceled at that point.

Yes, reservations are 100% valid without a credit card guarantee.
Old May 6, 2013, 2:42 pm

Programs: National EE, Hertz PC
Based on my experience, you can cancel a past due-reservation by calling in customer service.
Old May 6, 2013, 4:16 pm

No, I mean if you're scheduled to land at 10:30am and plan on picking the car up at 11:00am, make both of your reservations for 12:00pm. Then when you arrive on the lot at 11:00am and see what they have available, if you don't like the SUV, then you have an hour to pull up your reservation on your phone (or call, if you don't have a smartphone) and cancel the SUV reservation. That way, when you get to the exit gate, the agent won't accidentally pull the SUV reservation up when you're trying to drive off the lot in a van.

(So many people double-book either knowingly or unknowingly that the rental agency won't care--only Fox, IIRC, has an actual policy that states they will cancel any double-booked reservations. No other agency and certainly none of the majors will care about or take adverse action on your double-booking.)

If you book your SUV reservation for 11:00am and show up on the lot at 11:02am and don't like the SUV, you can no longer cancel the SUV reservation as it's after the scheduled pick-up time of 11:00 am and the reservation cannot be modified or canceled at that point.

Yes, reservations are 100% valid without a credit card guarantee.
oh, ok, now i get it.. I have the suv scheduled for pickup at 1pm and I just did the minivan for a 1pm pickup as well. It's not an airport location rather a local one, inside a parking garage. Hopefully I can browse the cars? Or should I call the local office and inquire about which car they have?
Old May 6, 2013, 4:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

oh, ok, now i get it.. I have the suv scheduled for pickup at 1pm and I just did the minivan for a 1pm pickup as well. It's not an airport location rather a local one, inside a parking garage. Hopefully I can browse the cars? Or should I call the local office and inquire about which car they have?
Sure. With a smaller local agency, they can typically give you a pretty good idea of what kind of car you'll receive if you speak to them directly. Then you can probably make your decision right now (or at the most a day or two before your rental).
Old May 7, 2013, 10:55 am

Sure. With a smaller local agency, they can typically give you a pretty good idea of what kind of car you'll receive if you speak to them directly. Then you can probably make your decision right now (or at the most a day or two before your rental).
I called up the place and the guy who answered told me, they have the Tahoe, Traverse and Durango and for minivan's its the Caravan or Town and Country..

That doesn't help. Now I have got to go there early and look at the cars and decide before the 1pm pickup.
Old May 7, 2013, 6:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I called up the place and the guy who answered told me, they have the Tahoe, Traverse and Durango and for minivan's its the Caravan or Town and Country..

That doesn't help. Now I have got to go there early and look at the cars and decide before the 1pm pickup.
Or visit a Chevy dealer and a Dodge dealer and check them out.
Old May 10, 2013, 10:07 am

Question: Can you add an additional driver after the initial rental?
Old May 10, 2013, 10:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Question: Can you add an additional driver after the initial rental?
You should be able to, but you'll have to stop at the National office to perform the transaction. The additional driver fee (if any) should be prorated to the start date.
Old May 10, 2013, 11:46 am

You should be able to, but you'll have to stop at the National office to perform the transaction. The additional driver fee (if any) should be prorated to the start date.
Stopping by isn't a problem, the rental is from Alamo, but i thought i read somewhere when I did the booking the additional driver can only be added at the initial rental site.
Old May 10, 2013, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Stopping by isn't a problem, the rental is from Alamo, but i thought i read somewhere when I did the booking the additional driver can only be added at the initial rental site.
If you're renting from a franchise office, then definitely. If you're renting from a corporate office, then I believe you should be able to add the driver at any other corporate office, but perhaps Alamo is more restrictive than some other agencies.
Old May 10, 2013, 12:35 pm

If you're renting from a franchise office, then definitely. If you're renting from a corporate office, then I believe you should be able to add the driver at any other corporate office, but perhaps Alamo is more restrictive than some other agencies.
For Alamo the location comes up as: Jersey City, NJ - Jersey City Montgomery, for National: Jersey City Montgomery (EWRE02). Alamo says "Your rental will be serviced through National our Drive Alliance partner" Is this an outside agency?
Old May 15, 2013, 9:15 am

Programs: Emerald Club Exec, HHonors Silver
For Alamo the location comes up as: Jersey City, NJ - Jersey City Montgomery, for National: Jersey City Montgomery (EWRE02). Alamo says "Your rental will be serviced through National our Drive Alliance partner" Is this an outside agency?
I doubt it. Looks like it's the same location. Most of the local stations I've encountered are similar and can run either National or Alamo reservations. At my local station, in Stamford, CT, they run both and they are usually at the same rate. I use the National arm so I can get the rental credits.
Old May 15, 2013, 10:07 am

I have a question about earning the free day.. I used a coupon code on my reservation .. now they said I am not qualify earning the free day .. is it true? thanks
Old May 15, 2013, 10:46 am

Programs: IHG Plat, JGC, Asiana Diamond, National EE
where does it say that? unless it changed recently I am still getting my credits with free day coupon.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.