Community
Wiki Posts
Search

National/ Alamo FAQs and Questions

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2013, 9:52 am
Fairmont Contributor Badge

I am an Executive and picked up at YVR airport ES lot.

When pulling away (and calling National in STL) I asked if my father (visiting on holiday) could drive the car. Both told me $10 a day even as an Executive.

When visiting another branch to "add" my father, the agent said the fee is waived for up to 9 people as you are an executive.

Who is right here? I got my dad on the res for free, but why all the misinformation?
Old Jul 31, 2013, 9:56 am
Moderator: National Car

Programs: Delta PM, National EE, Hertz PC, Hilton DM
Depends on the contract ID used to make the reservation...if using the Emerald Club code, there are no charge additional drivers, including those who do not share an address with you (i.e., unrelated people). If you are a member of the Emerald Club (regardless of status level) anyone who shares an address with you on their license (spouse, parent, etc), as well as co-workers, are allowed to drive the vehicle without being added on.
Old Aug 8, 2013, 3:17 pm

Originally Posted by dwbf11
Depends on the contract ID used to make the reservation...if using the Emerald Club code, there are no charge additional drivers, including those who do not share an address with you (i.e., unrelated people). If you are a member of the Emerald Club (regardless of status level) anyone who shares an address with you on their license (spouse, parent, etc), as well as co-workers, are allowed to drive the vehicle without being added on.
Would a spouse need to be added to the rental contract, thus taking up some extra time, or is that not necessary (for Emerald Club members)?
Old Aug 8, 2013, 6:03 pm
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Originally Posted by Reindeerflame
Would a spouse need to be added to the rental contract, thus taking up some extra time, or is that not necessary (for Emerald Club members)?
Not necessary for Emerald Club members if the address on the drivers licenses are the same.
Old Aug 26, 2013, 2:05 pm

Programs: SPG, Aeroplan, WJ, Avis Preferred, Hertz Gold, Fairmont PC, IHG, Marriott, Airmiles, Aventura,Avion
If you are a Costco member and rent using the costco contract id or through the costcotravel.com site, the additional driver wee is waived according to my understand.

I also thought that Alamo Insiders got a free additional driver as well but perhaps it's only those with the same address.
Old Aug 26, 2013, 6:16 pm

The standard emerald club ID includes 4 non-related additional drivers at most (all?) locations.
Old Aug 26, 2013, 9:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I usually rent with Budget, but just reserved a National car for a four day weekend+ trip I'm taking next month because National wanted ~30% of the total price Budget was quoting me... it also says I'll get 6,000 Club Carlson points for the $70 rental. Will the reservation/price be honored? I made it direct on the national website after seeing the rate on Kayak, but it's pay at counter and I don't currently have membership with National.
Old Aug 27, 2013, 6:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by Ambraciot
I usually rent with Budget, but just reserved a National car for a four day weekend+ trip I'm taking next month because National wanted ~30% of the total price Budget was quoting me... it also says I'll get 6,000 Club Carlson points for the $70 rental. Will the reservation/price be honored? I made it direct on the national website after seeing the rate on Kayak, but it's pay at counter and I don't currently have membership with National.
No reason it wouldn't be honored. Bring a printout of the reservation from Nationalcar.com if you're really that nervous.

And you should absolutely sign up for Emerald Club (it's free). It makes the whole pick-up experience MUCH quicker and smoother, and you'll likely be able to get a much nicer car out of it than what you reserved. After you join, call National and ask them to apply your membership number to your reservation.
Old Aug 27, 2013, 8:32 am

Hi,

I'm planning a trip to California in October, and i will rent a Convertible (pick up in LAX). From what i searched, Alamo and National will give me the best price with the insurances included, but i have some questions:

- Which of them do i have more chance to get a Mustang or Camaro renting the standard convertible, Alamo or National?

- I have a 14h flight and i will not be in the mood to be hassled by the counter guys. I know that Alamo have some kind of kiosk that allows to skip the counter, does National have this kiosks too?

- Do you recommend to rent the toll system in the rental company? What are the alternatives?

Best regards,
Ricardo Araújo
Old Aug 27, 2013, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Welcome to FlyerTalk!

Originally Posted by Ricardo Araujo
- Which of them do i have more chance to get a Mustang or Camaro renting the standard convertible, Alamo or National?
Most of the time, Alamo and National pull from the same fleet of cars, so the cars you'll find within each class will be very similar between the two brands. That said, as the top-tier brand, National will tend to collect the nicer and/or lower-mileage cars.

- I have a 14h flight and i will not be in the mood to be hassled by the counter guys. I know that Alamo have some kind of kiosk that allows to skip the counter, does National have this kiosks too?
National does not have kiosks. However, if you are a member of National's Emerald Club, you can skip the counter completely and just walk directly to the lane of cars matching the kind you have reserved (including accessing the Emerald Aisle if you've reserved at least a midsize), show your license at the exit gate, and be on your way. It's free to join, so absolutely no reason not to.

- Do you recommend to rent the toll system in the rental company? What are the alternatives?
There are very few toll roads in California. The bridges in the Bay Area are tolled, and some (very few) expressways in the Los Angeles area are tolled. In SoCal (L.A. and San Diego), single-occupant vehicles with a toll transponder can access some (but not many) High-Occupancy Vehicle (carpool) lanes for a fee. Unless you plan on driving across a lot of bridges in the Bay Area or need access to these lanes in SoCal, the toll plan is not necessary. And if you do plan on using these toll roads, just stop at any participating merchant (check the FasTrak authority for your destination area--try this Google search for starters--and pick up a transponder yourself. Typical costs are $25 for the transponder, but that includes $20 of toll credit, so the net cost of the transponder is only $5, assuming you plan on using $20 worth of tolls.

You may be able to avoid using a transponder altogether, although some bridges (like the Golden Gate) have gone to 100% electronic tolling (you can't pay cash).

You may have more luck getting a comprehensive answer if you do two things: post your specific destination area and route of travel and do so in the California destination forum.
Old Aug 27, 2013, 8:53 am

Originally Posted by jackal
Welcome to FlyerTalk!

Most of the time, Alamo and National pull from the same fleet of cars, so the cars you'll find within each class will be very similar between the two brands. That said, as the top-tier brand, National will tend to collect the nicer and/or lower-mileage cars.

National does not have kiosks. However, if you are a member of National's Emerald Club, you can skip the counter completely and just walk directly to the lane of cars matching the kind you have reserved (including accessing the Emerald Aisle if you've reserved at least a midsize), show your license at the exit gate, and be on your way. It's free to join, so absolutely no reason not to.

There are very few toll roads in California. The bridges in the Bay Area are tolled, and some (very few) expressways in the Los Angeles area are tolled. In SoCal (L.A. and San Diego), single-occupant vehicles with a toll transponder can access some (but not many) High-Occupancy Vehicle (carpool) lanes for a fee. Unless you plan on driving across a lot of bridges in the Bay Area or need access to these lanes in SoCal, the toll plan is not necessary. And if you do plan on using these toll roads, just stop at any participating merchant (check the FasTrak authority for your destination area--try this Google search for starters--and pick up a transponder yourself. Typical costs are $25 for the transponder, but that includes $20 of toll credit, so the net cost of the transponder is only $5, assuming you plan on using $20 worth of tolls.

You may be able to avoid using a transponder altogether, although some bridges (like the Golden Gate) have gone to 100% electronic tolling (you can't pay cash).

You may have more luck getting a comprehensive answer if you do two things: post your specific destination area and route of travel and do so in the California destination forum.
Many thanks for your answers ^^^
Old Sep 8, 2013, 11:52 pm

I think I read somewhere that they'll waive a drop fee for Emerald Club members, but I can't find it anywhere on National's website. It seems unlikely, given that Emerald Club is free to join, but does anybody know?

Failing that, is there a good way to get a comp one-way on National or Alamo? I'll be taking a full-size SUV from SFO to DEN, with a total time of about eighteen days (but I'll be in Denver after a week, so I could return it and get a local rental if need be). I'll be using the .co.uk sites for inclusive packages (I'm from Australia).

And, if any of these plans involve joining Emerald Club, does anyone know how to do so from overseas? The online form requires a US/Canada license.
Old Sep 9, 2013, 6:34 am

There are no drop fee waivers for simply being an Emerald Club member. The only way to get a free one-way is to 1) apply free days, and 2) use a rate plan that does not have a separate drop fee, but increases the daily rate for one-ways. That may not be available to non-US residents, or may not include the special insurances they may need.

Regular free days take a while to accrue, there is a max of 7 you can redeem consecutively, and unless you're Executive Elite, do not allow reservations of specialty vehicles. You may need to split up the rental into local and one-way components, if at all possible. There is also a 1-2 Free promotion right now (see the T&Cs of how that works), so if you're traveling before mid-June, and can earn those free days, it would be helpful to you.
Old Sep 9, 2013, 9:08 pm

Thanks for your suggestions, Auto Enthusiast.

I tried a short one-way coupled with a standard rental in Denver, but there was no saving.

Anyway, I've still got pretty good rates available to me, so I'll pay up for the one-way if I need to.
Old Sep 25, 2013, 10:08 pm

Programs: National - Exec, IHG - Plat, Marriott - Plat, Delta - Gold, AA - Plat
Hi all, and sincere Thank you/welcome to rentalguy and Pam!

I had a quick question about DriveAlliance and Alamo. I'm Exec with National and do 99.9% of my business with them. I have a 13 day rental coming up with Alamo at PHX (their minivan rate was amazing...1/3 of everyone else). How do I get the rental day credits over to my National account. As easy as showing my card to the Alamo agent?

Question 2: Keeping in mind I have a minivan already reserved, will the Exec with National do anything for me? I had my heart set on a Gold Town and Country (just kidding). But a serious question in case I should keep my eyes out for something neat.

Last edited by leighjohnwi; Sep 25, 2013 at 10:24 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.