Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cars at JFK

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2022, 4:05 pm

Programs: National Executive, UA MileagePlus, BA Executive Club, EI AerClub
Likely will be renting here for a weekend rental (Sat-Mon) in a few weeks. Picking up Saturday late morning/early afternoon. What would the selection be like in the Executive Aisle? Could I find a premium car? If not, what does the SUV selection usually look like? Lastly, is it possible to access the lot from the AirTrain? Thanks for any help!

Last edited by jbk1379; Apr 17, 2022 at 10:43 am
Old Apr 17, 2022, 10:42 am

delete

Last edited by jbk1379; Apr 18, 2022 at 11:43 am
Old Apr 18, 2022, 11:42 am

Originally Posted by peepzlolo
Picked up today for a weekend getaway. JFK had cheaper rates than the local neighborhood locations which is always a plus since the airports usually have more inventory. I'm executive status and reserved a Premium SUV. The app tells me I can skip the counter and go straight to the car. However, this location holds the keys at the front desk so you have to speak to a representative anyway. I was given a 2020 Ford Expedition. I like the Expedition so I was okay with it. The driver's door wouldn't open though. Spent 10 mins with a lot attendant trying to figure it out. They then offered me a 2019 GMC Yukon XL but noticed it's two front windows were down. I'm usually spoiled with newer models so I asked if I can have a Navigator that was parked in Premium Select since the other big SUVs had problems.

At first I was told I need proof of insurance and it'll cost more since it's considered "exotic". No idea that was considered as such. Then a manager was made aware of the situation by the lot agent and was told by the manager that all they need from me was proof of insurance and I can leave with it. Sounds like a deal. While trying to figure my log in out on my app, the manager told me don't worry about the insurance, we have a 2021 GMC Yukon Denali XL available for you. Even better. I find the new Yukon/Tahoe models to be a huge improvement over the previous gens. They even offered to waive the "return full" requirement. Definitely got that one in writing. Lol. Overall, a pleasent experience with the staff here. What should have been a 20-25 process, became and hour plus but was handled well by amazing employees. Very happy with them. And the Yukon is a pleasure to drive as well. The Yukon Denali is classified as a WZAR and I had a PFAR reservation
Originally Posted by El_Chiflero
Did a 3 day rental from 03/18-03/21.

Exec Selection had a few SUV's, sedans, and a Charger but not much in premium options. Ultimately chose a 2022 Audi A3 with 3,500 miles over a 2021 Mini Countryman as it's far easier to find parking in Manhattan with the small size of the A3. I did see a BMW 750i and a X7 5.0 in premium selection that, on another trip, I would have been tempted by.
Originally Posted by jbk1379
Likely will be renting here for a weekend rental (Sat-Mon) in a few weeks. Picking up Saturday late morning/early afternoon. What would the selection be like in the Executive Aisle? Could I find a premium car? If not, what does the SUV selection usually look like? Lastly, is it possible to access the lot from the AirTrain? Thanks for any help!
Just booked ES Sat 12 PM-Mon 12 PM. Could either of you send pics/tell us what was on the ES aisle? What, if any, premium or SUV options would there be? Thanks!
Old Apr 18, 2022, 1:40 pm

Programs: AA Plt, Marriott Gold, National EE, Hertz PC, El Mambero De Mucci, PWP Aide to Generalissimo Godot
Just booked ES Sat 12 PM-Mon 12 PM. Could either of you send pics/tell us what was on the ES aisle? What, if any, premium or SUV options would there be? Thanks!
I didn't take any pictures but there were two Mini Countryman in the Executive aisle along with a Chevy Traverse, a Dodge Charger R/T and the Audi A3 that I ended up taking for parking purposes. Premium upgrades had a BMW 750iL and a X7.
Auto Enthusiast and Ordpc like this.
Old Apr 18, 2022, 1:54 pm

I didn't take any pictures but there were two Mini Countryman in the Executive aisle along with a Chevy Traverse, a Dodge Charger R/T and the Audi A3 that I ended up taking for parking purposes. Premium upgrades had a BMW 750iL and a X7.
Great, thanks! Seems like the Mini Countrymans are common at JFK. Did the ones you saw have AWD? Also, picking up on a Saturday, would the selection be similar or reduced because it is a weekend?
Old Apr 18, 2022, 2:52 pm

Programs: AA Plt, Marriott Gold, National EE, Hertz PC, El Mambero De Mucci, PWP Aide to Generalissimo Godot
Great, thanks! Seems like the Mini Countrymans are common at JFK. Did the ones you saw have AWD? Also, picking up on a Saturday, would the selection be similar or reduced because it is a weekend?
I believe the NY Auto Show is still going on so I would wager it will be reduced. I did not notice if it the Mini was an AWD.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2022, 4:48 pm

I believe the NY Auto Show is still going on so I would wager it will be reduced. I did not notice if it the Mini was an AWD.
Alright. I'll stop by next Saturday (the week before I'm renting) to see what the selection looks like. Thanks for your help!
Old Apr 19, 2022, 9:13 am

Programs: DL PM, UA Premier, AA Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite, Sixt Plat
Alright. I'll stop by next Saturday (the week before I'm renting) to see what the selection looks like. Thanks for your help!
Schools in NYC are on spring break this week so the selection might be quite limited this week as many people rent cars to go upstate or to the Hamptons.

Weekends also tend to have limited supply for the same reason. The NYC airport and city locations tend to have more supply midweek and extremely limited supply on the weekends.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Apr 19, 2022, 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by Pathfinder813
Schools in NYC are on spring break this week so the selection might be quite limited this week as many people rent cars to go upstate or to the Hamptons.

Weekends also tend to have limited supply for the same reason. The NYC airport and city locations tend to have more supply midweek and extremely limited supply on the weekends.
Thank you, good to know. what would be on the ES? is there any chance of premium/SUV options?

What happens if there is nothing on the ES?

I am picking up on the 30th, not this weekend - would that help selection?

And lastly, if I booked an LCAR (next class up from ES) as a backup, would I likely get some crappy old Chrysler 300, or would I get a European car?

Thanks for any help!
Old Apr 21, 2022, 10:31 am

Originally Posted by Pathfinder813
-
Thank you, good to know. what would be on the ES? is there any chance of premium/SUV options?

And lastly, if I booked an LCAR (next class up from ES) as a backup, would I likely get some crappy old Chrysler 300, or would I get a European car?

Thanks for any help!
Just checking back in - anyone know the answers to any of the above questions? Thank you!
Old Apr 21, 2022, 10:42 am

Just checking back in - anyone know the answers to any of the above questions? Thank you!
There will be cars in Executive selection. I've never seen a situation where they didn't have cars. As far as premium is concerned, if you want something specific , ask someone from the counter to help you out. For the last question, it depends on their inventory. You'll just have to find out when you get there.
Ordpc likes this.
Old Apr 21, 2022, 1:20 pm

There will be cars in Executive selection. I've never seen a situation where they didn't have cars. As far as premium is concerned, if you want something specific , ask someone from the counter to help you out. For the last question, it depends on their inventory. You'll just have to find out when you get there.
Great, thank you!
Old Apr 25, 2022, 8:51 pm

Programs: Platinum Medallion Delta SkyMiles, National Executive Elite, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite
A bit of a report and major shoutout to the staff at JFK National.

I'm Exec Elite and reserved a full-size rental for Thurs. evening pickup. Plane arrived on time and I only had a carry-on, so no waiting around for bags. I beeline straight to the National lot via Airtrain. I get to the Emerald Exec aisle and it's fairly full, with the standard Nissan, Hyundai, Chevy, etc selection. I believe I saw one of the Mini's there, and possibly a BMW sedan (I forget which), and Audi sedan as well.

I was looking for a SUV and spotted a Cadillac XT5 at the end of the aisle near the exit. Grabbed that, secured bags in the trunk area. There was some sort of guard rail on one side of the trunk that I wasn't able to remove or lower it, but figured I'd take care of it later when I had time. As I began to get settled in and was wiping down the common areas with the sanitizer wipe, I spotted an old orange peel under one of the seats....then some small snack wraps under the back seat. No biggie, I cleaned it up and drove to the exit. The gate agent, being the professional that he was, asked if the XT5 was to my liking. I responded affirmatively, that it would do well for the family weekend trip, but told him that the cleaning crew needs to be more thorough. He asked me why, and I told him about the stuff I found. He apologized on behalf of National, would report it to them, and offered me free gas (basically, no need to fill up the gas upon return). I accepted the kind gesture and off I went.

As I'm driving towards the highway, I noticed a weird wheezy noise when I accelerated, and what felt like some sort of metal on metal rubbing on the right side of the car. Thinking it may have come from passing or adjacent cars, I continued on for a while. Then when I was alone, turning all sound down on a quiet street, there it was again. I turned back around and headed back to the lot. Listening for the squealing sound all the way back and it was there. I then also realized that a check engine light was on. I hadn't seen it with all of the other instruments displayed on the dashboard as well as the sun.

I turned the car back in and explained the situation. They apologized and gave me an exchange slip to be presented to a manager, who would facilitate the exchange. I explained to him the situation and the issue with the car, that I had only left the lot approx. 20 mins earlier and didn't feel comfortable with the car. He also apologized and said I could choose whatever else on the aisle. I asked it any of the other XT5s or something similar was available, or whether I could wait for the Audi Q5 to be cleaned and take that one. He agreed. I jokingly said of course I would be interested in the 2022 BMW X7 that was sitting in the Premium Selection spots. He asked if I'd be cool with that, he'd check to see if it was available. It was available, so he asked me for my auto insurance policy to cover it, and there was no upcharge. I drove off to the exit, the gate agent apologized for the prior vehicle and confirmed that the free gas offer was still valid on my rental, and off I went.

The BMW X7 xDrive40i option was a fun drive around town and had loads of options. Comfortably sat 6-7 people, ample trunk space with the 3rd row up. Engine performance and road handling was excellent. Put it into sport mode, and I really enjoyed this rental. Nothing too crazy, as NYC and those darn 25 mph speed limits and speed cams on every other block kept me in check lol. But out in Long Island on the highways, it was fun.

Huge shoutout to the JFK National staff for making to happen and taking care of an Exec Elite. Where other National locations haven't been as helpful in recent times, I feel that everyone that I was in contact with at JFK National did go over and above. So, be nice to them and hopefully they take care of you as well.
Old Apr 25, 2022, 9:07 pm

Programs: Platinum Medallion Delta SkyMiles, National Executive Elite, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite

Thanks for any help!
Depends on what day and time. April 30th being a Saturday.....might be a crapshoot. You may want to look into Emerald Reserve Service, if there's a particular car or car class that you'd like.

There will be cars. If you get to the ES aisle and don't see anything that you like, you can ask what cars are getting cleaned for the ES aisle, and if available, you can wait for it. It never hurts to ask one of the lot agents. There's a little booth outside right as you're walking to the ES aisle, and most times someone is working there. You can ask. They have been very helpful with me on several occasions now.

If there's nothing else available, make the most of the available selection. Been there and done that.
Old Apr 25, 2022, 11:21 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, Miles & Smiles *G, PC Amb
Hi,

A bit of a noob when it comes to renting in the US. However, I found a great deal for a Premium Elite SUV (BMW X3 or Equivalent) through Enterprise. However, when i booked, it said the pick up was through National/Alama at Federal Circle.

I have a couple of questions and I hope you could share your advise;

1) I've booked a month long rental, and I'll be arriving at the pick up point, probably close to 8:30pm. Will they hold a particular car for me or is it luck of the draw at the time? I'm assuming at that hour many of the nicer cars would be long gone? Any insights on the types of cars typically available under the "Premium Elite SUV" category?

2) I've status Matched by Emerald Club member with by Bonvoy Ambassador, but Enterprise Plus only status matches with other Rental Car Loyalty Programs. By having Emerald Club Executive Elite, are there any reciprocal benefits when the rental car booking is through Enterprise - although picking up from National/Alamo?

3) Any other tips for a first time renter in the US would be greatly greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.