Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cars at JFK

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2023, 4:34 pm

Programs: AA Plt, Marriott Gold, National EE, Hertz PC, El Mambero De Mucci, PWP Aide to Generalissimo Godot
When I did it, I dropped off the car at 4:45am and there was a clerk there for both National and Enterprise who took the keys and I headed off for my flight. No issue whatsoever
Old Nov 7, 2023, 6:53 pm

I booked a Premium Elite SUV for 1 day at JFK because I had a free rental credit. If I don't like what they selected for me, can I just grab something from the EE aisle instead? Do I need to do any paperwork or can I just hop in whatever I choose as usual. I have EE status, but I haven't rented frequently over the last 3-4 years.

Also, how long does it take, realistically, to get to the National lot at JFK. I have a 5 hour layover on Saturday evening after arriving from Singapore, and I just want to visit the city for a couple of hours. I'm trying to figure out the logistics.
Old Nov 7, 2023, 7:55 pm

duplicated
Old Nov 7, 2023, 7:56 pm

Originally Posted by plam1365
I booked a Premium Elite SUV for 1 day at JFK because I had a free rental credit. If I don't like what they selected for me, can I just grab something from the EE aisle instead? Do I need to do any paperwork or can I just hop in whatever I choose as usual. I have EE status, but I haven't rented frequently over the last 3-4 years.

Also, how long does it take, realistically, to get to the National lot at JFK. I have a 5 hour layover on Saturday evening after arriving from Singapore, and I just want to visit the city for a couple of hours. I'm trying to figure out the logistics.
If it's only 5 hrs layover, it's better to stay at a lounge after going through immigration which takes at least 1 hr.
It's not really worth to use a free day on a 2-3 hrs rental.
If you really want to visit Manhattan/Brooklyn/Queens, just Uber/Taxi around. You will save plenty of time from picking up/dropping off/finding parking spots at one-way street

And answer your question, yes you can check with attendant for your premium elite suv or simply grab something from EE. Gate agents can process it as a regular free day redemption rsvn anyway.
​​​​​​​
Old Nov 7, 2023, 10:54 pm

Originally Posted by jizen
If it's only 5 hrs layover, it's better to stay at a lounge after going through immigration which takes at least 1 hr.
It's not really worth to use a free day on a 2-3 hrs rental.
If you really want to visit Manhattan/Brooklyn/Queens, just Uber/Taxi around. You will save plenty of time from picking up/dropping off/finding parking spots at one-way street
You are absolutely correct about that. I wouldn't bother except I'm just trying to grab dinner with my daughter that is attending college in Brooklyn. I've been to NYC a few times before, so I don't need to do any sightseeing. I figured I would get the car just because I had the free day that I probably would have no other use for. I'm guessing that an uber ride would probably be easily $30+ each way, so a free rental seemed to make sense. It also would have been a place to keep my luggage in case I could not get it checked to my final destination.

Thanks for the info about the reservation. This might be a game-time decision, because you never know what's going to happen with the initial flight and immigration. I have Global Entry, but I don't know how much time that might save.

EDIT: I just checked prices. An uber to Brooklyn would start at $75 each way, so not really a great option for me. I'm beginning to think that 5 hours may not be enough time to have dinner in the city and make it back to check in to my final destination.

Last edited by plam1365; Nov 7, 2023 at 11:03 pm
Old Nov 8, 2023, 6:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
You are absolutely correct about that. I wouldn't bother except I'm just trying to grab dinner with my daughter that is attending college in Brooklyn. I've been to NYC a few times before, so I don't need to do any sightseeing. I figured I would get the car just because I had the free day that I probably would have no other use for. I'm guessing that an uber ride would probably be easily $30+ each way, so a free rental seemed to make sense. It also would have been a place to keep my luggage in case I could not get it checked to my final destination.

Thanks for the info about the reservation. This might be a game-time decision, because you never know what's going to happen with the initial flight and immigration. I have Global Entry, but I don't know how much time that might save.

EDIT: I just checked prices. An uber to Brooklyn would start at $75 each way, so not really a great option for me. I'm beginning to think that 5 hours may not be enough time to have dinner in the city and make it back to check in to my final destination.
Slightly off topic, but look at Uber/Lyft in real time. Pre-booking rides is usually minimum twice as expensive for some reason. It's a real scam here

-J.
Old Nov 8, 2023, 7:16 am

Depending on your corporate code, it might actually be cheaper to one-way a rental car to Manhattan lol. I've done this and I have a few coworkers who have done it too. Late summer, an uber from Midtown Manhattan to JFK was $88 for an Uber XL. BUT there is a 24 hour Avis location on 43rd and 3rd... and I rented a Subaru Forrester for $55 with my corporate code. Literally picked it up with 2 friends, we put our luggage in the back of it, and drove it straight to Avis at JFK. Didn't even need to refuel.

Public transportation is of course an option too, but this was at 4am, and we didn't feel like riding the subway at that time.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Nov 8, 2023, 10:46 am

Programs: AA Plt, Marriott Gold, National EE, Hertz PC, El Mambero De Mucci, PWP Aide to Generalissimo Godot

Typically, it takes about 10 minutes on the AirTrain to get to Federal Circle. I would say that work with a Lot attendant to make sure you get what you want. I had a Luxury car rental and they put me into a BMW X5. I'd say with the Premium Elite, I would ask for what you and and unless it's an X7, I'm sure they'll give it to you.
Old Nov 8, 2023, 7:30 pm

Originally Posted by El_Chiflero
Typically, it takes about 10 minutes on the AirTrain to get to Federal Circle. I would say that work with a Lot attendant to make sure you get what you want. I had a Luxury car rental and they put me into a BMW X5. I'd say with the Premium Elite, I would ask for what you and and unless it's an X7, I'm sure they'll give it to you.
Thanks. That's the info I was looking for. 10 minutes is not too bad. I just wanted to make sure it wasn't something like a 30 minute bus ride. I'm not too picky with what I get, but I'd prefer something other than a GM or Ford SUV. I'd rather have a premium sedan than a mediocre SUV.
Old Nov 8, 2023, 7:35 pm

Originally Posted by GW McLintock
Slightly off topic, but look at Uber/Lyft in real time. Pre-booking rides is usually minimum twice as expensive for some reason. It's a real scam here

-J.
Thanks, I just checked right now and it is just slightly cheaper. The time is slightly different though (9:30 pm now vs 6:00 pm Saturday when I need the ride). Good advice though.
Old Nov 18, 2023, 3:18 pm

Programs: British Airways
Hi all, I'll be flying into JFK from the UK in late December and looking at my options for something with 4wd guaranteed. Any experiences / what to expect with Standard SUV and Fullsize Pickups? Cheers
Old Nov 21, 2023, 6:45 am

Originally Posted by ld0595
Hi all, I'll be flying into JFK from the UK in late December and looking at my options for something with 4wd guaranteed. Any experiences / what to expect with Standard SUV and Fullsize Pickups? Cheers
In the Northeast, almost all of the SUVs will have AWD or 4WD. When selecting a car, be sure to pick one with a license plate from a colder state to ensure this to be the case... Sometimes people drive cars up from Florida, or east from Arizona, for example, and in those states it's far more common for 2WDs to be available.

So avoid a southern or western license plated car, and you'll be fine.
Old Nov 26, 2023, 7:33 pm

Hi, I was just wondering which airport in NYC usually has better car options. I am planning a one-way rental in Dec to pick up my remaining stuff after moving out of the city. Flying to three airports will cost me similar, so I'd rather choose the one with a possibly better car.

I don't really need a very large one though, just want something comfortable with ACC as I will be driving 8 hrs on that day. I have EE if that helps. TIA!
Old Nov 26, 2023, 9:51 pm

If you're heading 8 hours north or northeast, probably JFK. If you're going south, southwest, west, or northwest, probably EWR. Both are large facilities, so the tradeoff of heavier traffic and higher tolls to go in the opposite direction is not worth it. LGA is the smallest of the 3 NYC-area airports, so logically would have the smallest selection.
xienon and SinglePenguin like this.
Old Nov 27, 2023, 6:46 am

Originally Posted by Auto Enthusiast
If you're heading 8 hours north or northeast, probably JFK. If you're going south, southwest, west, or northwest, probably EWR. Both are large facilities, so the tradeoff of heavier traffic and higher tolls to go in the opposite direction is not worth it. LGA is the smallest of the 3 NYC-area airports, so logically would have the smallest selection.
Even at LGA, I've never had difficulty finding an SUV with adaptive cruise control in the executive selection.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.