Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cars at OGG

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2013, 2:41 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, Southwest Rapid Rewards A-List, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by bocastephen
There is no reason to rent a luxury car in Hawai'i - it's just asking to waste money (gas is much more expensive) and if you get even slightly off the beaten path, a luxury car is not going to like the rougher roads, making a circle drive of Maui very difficult - not to mention the soft suspension will have everyone in the car hurling their breakfast if you drive to Hana.

You can upgrade to a convertible if you want something different, or a minivan/suv if you want something bigger (never leave any personal items of any kind visible in the car, especially true of a minivan/suv with lots of windows).
I'm going to look into the convertible. Glad you chimed in.
Old Dec 28, 2013, 3:17 pm

Programs: Costco Club
I rented a Mustang convertible a couple weekends ago when I went to Maui and was shocked it had over 38,000 miles on it!
Old Dec 29, 2013, 1:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by StevenSeagalFan
I rented a Mustang convertible a couple weekends ago when I went to Maui and was shocked it had over 38,000 miles on it!
This is normal...rental cars to Hawai'i need to be shipped in from the mainland by Matson, and this is an expensive and time consuming process - so fleet turnaround is not as fast as the mainland, hence higher mileage cars with more wear/tear.
Old Dec 30, 2013, 8:37 am

It appears that the convertibles and jeeps are $500/week more than the other cars. Does that seem right?
Old Dec 30, 2013, 1:38 pm

Programs: UA GS, BA Gold, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Gold, National Exec Elite, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by htown
It appears that the convertibles and jeeps are $500/week more than the other cars. Does that seem right?
I did a few random searches and they do seem to charge more for convertibles, depending on what your base rate is.

Last time I rented a convertible on Maui (several years ago) they had convertibles on the weekly specials page. Click "SPECIALS" on http://www.nationalcar.com

So one strategy could be to reserve a midsize and look for specials the week prior to arriving. I think I paid about the same for a convertible as for a midsize. I was very excited about it, but my wife wasn't that impressed. "You calling this a surprise?"
Old Dec 30, 2013, 2:58 pm

Originally Posted by flyerbjorn
I did a few random searches and they do seem to charge more for convertibles, depending on what your base rate is.

Last time I rented a convertible on Maui (several years ago) they had convertibles on the weekly specials page. Click "SPECIALS" on http://www.nationalcar.com

So one strategy could be to reserve a midsize and look for specials the week prior to arriving. I think I paid about the same for a convertible as for a midsize. I was very excited about it, but my wife wasn't that impressed. "You calling this a surprise?"
LOL, I think my S/O wouldn't like the surprise either. I'll check the website but don't think I can fork out an additional $500 for a convertible for a 7 day trip.
Old Dec 30, 2013, 3:02 pm

Originally Posted by StevenSeagalFan
Just curious what rates you were able to find for the convertible. For a weekly rental, prices are pretty steep.
Old Dec 30, 2013, 4:20 pm

Programs: National Exec, HA Pualani Gold
Originally Posted by htown
Supply and demand...

Personally, you'll want to spend more time out of your car anyway, so using the $500 towards activities would be what I'd do...but that's just me.

I'd also recommend as others have mentioned -- keep watching the specials, as they do occasionally pop up.
Old Dec 31, 2013, 6:07 am

Originally Posted by qs933
Supply and demand...

Personally, you'll want to spend more time out of your car anyway, so using the $500 towards activities would be what I'd do...but that's just me.

I'd also recommend as others have mentioned -- keep watching the specials, as they do occasionally pop up.
I agree. I'll keep my eye out in the meantime but will most likely book a midsize if there's not a special or reduction in price. Thanks.
Old Jan 2, 2014, 3:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP, lowly UA 1K; Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold; National EC, Hertz PC
Booked 12/25-30. Very friendly/prompt service on arrival. EA/ES was full of lots of full size cars and an occasion convertible, no SUVs or Vans though when I got there as they had all be specifically reserved, I asked for one but they couldn't accommodate. There were some there when I dropped off I noticed.

I ended up taking a brand new Charger (7 miles on ODO from ES). It was nice as we need the room for the bags, but it is a huge boat of a car.

Very friendly and easy rental all in all.
Old Jan 27, 2014, 12:17 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond
I am trying to use my free day to do one way rental. I pick it up from the airport, and drop it off at the Grand Wailea location. However I get this drop fee for $65, normally I don't have to pay any drop fee when I use my free day. any idea?
Old Feb 11, 2014, 12:52 am

Is it possible to get executive benefit when I booked a National car reservation through 3rd parties like Costco, Priceline, or something like that?
Old Feb 11, 2014, 7:00 am
Moderator: National Car

Programs: Delta PM, National EE, Hertz PC, Hilton DM
Originally Posted by nks0315
Is it possible to get executive benefit when I booked a National car reservation through 3rd parties like Costco, Priceline, or something like that?
YMMV. Generally the answer is no, you'll pick from the ER section of your reserved class, but some have reported success using EA/ES on third party booked reservations. In any case spend some time looking through the coupon thread, it should be possible to get near or below the third party price using publicly available coupons.
Old Feb 17, 2014, 9:31 pm

Picked up my car on Saturday:

ES:
- 2x Ford Fusion
- 2X Hyundai Sonata
- 2x Chevy Impala

There wasn't a large selection so I went with the Sonata.
Old Apr 28, 2014, 12:33 pm

Picked up on Saturday 4/26

EA had the usual mix of Malibus, Altimas, plus a Nissan Frontier, and a Maxima (!).

I did a last minute special and picked up a Mustang convertible with 5k on it.

The odd part was the exit gate guy encouraged me to leave without any sort of rental agreement. I told him I thought I needed one and he said, "no, you are Emerald Aisle. You don't need a rental agreement." I said I would prefer to have one in case something happened (also to verify I'm the correct renter, pricing, etc.) and he quickly obliged.

Last edited by ExManager; Apr 28, 2014 at 12:55 pm Reason: Added Exit Gate Info

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.