Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cars at OGG

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2013, 2:42 am

Programs: National Exec, HA Pualani Gold
Originally Posted by cuboarder04
Just curious if anyone has seen any Wranglers on the Executive Aisle as of late? Heading to Maui & Kauai for the BF's 30th bday, the entire trip is a surprise therefore all out of my own pocketbook (ouch).
Looking back, it looks like there was a Wrangler spotted on ES last June. I've never personally seen one (if there's a Jeep, it's been a Liberty), and I'd imagine it (and convertibles) are in high demand at OGG.

If you absolutely must have one (vs. settling for a Altima or Malibu or Impala, which seem much more typical these days, unfortunately, at OGG), I'd recommend springing the extra dollars to reserve one. Might as well go all out since it's a surprise trip, right?
Old Apr 9, 2013, 6:08 pm

Programs: SPG - Gold Marriott - Silver Hyatt - Platinum HHonors - Gold
Thanks qs, actually found a great rate in the forums with Alamo that includes supplemental collision for a killer price... let's just hope that they don't ask to see an isic card ;-)

Normally I wouldn't want to risk it, but splurging on the St. Regis Princeville for a few nights so the trip is definitely putting a dent in the wallet.

Thanks for the advice!
Old Apr 9, 2013, 6:23 pm

They probably wont ask to see your "isic" card when you check the card out, but I would bet that they will when you go to cash in on that CDW coverage! Be careful with those codes...
Old Apr 9, 2013, 9:20 pm
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Originally Posted by Coastercameron
They probably wont ask to see your "isic" card when you check the card out, but I would bet that they will when you go to cash in on that CDW coverage! Be careful with those codes...
The only CDW included code that I'm comfortable using is the Flying Blue one since it's applicable to members of Air France / KLM's Flying Blue program which anyone can signup for (I have).
Old May 6, 2013, 2:57 am

Picked up at OGG early Sunday morning.

ES:
- 2x '13 Malibu 2LT
- 2x Impala
- 1x Chrysler Town & Country
- 3x '13 Dodge Charger
- 1x Nissan Rogue
- 1x '12 Honda Accord

EA:
- 1x Chrysler Town & Country
- 5x Impalas
- 1x Sonata
- 1x '13 Malibu 2LT
- 1x '13 Captiva

Behind the EA stalls were:
- 1x '13 Malibu 1LTZ
- Assorted small crossovers (Rogue, Captiva)
- 1x Chrysler 200 convertible

In the Premium/Luxury stalls:
- 1x '13 Ford Edge Limited
- 1x '12 Chrysler 300 Limited
- 1x '12 Lincoln MKS
- 1x '12 Cadillac CTS
- 1x '13 Lincoln MKZ

I had a Premium reservation and was offered the Accord (!) or the 300. I asked for the Edge, which was parked in a Premium stall, and was initially told no. I pointed out that it was parked in a Premium stall and the rep took my name to look up my reservation. After a couple of minutes she said I could take it. Decided not to push my luck and ask for the MKZ (an LCAR)... Plus I haven't driven an Edge and wanted to try the MyFord Touch and the Sony audio.

Returning the Edge later that afternoon:

ES:
- 2x '13 Ford Fusion Hybrid SE (may have taken one if it had been available -- gas on Maui is expensive!)
- Multiple Impalas
- 1x '13 Altima
- 2x '13 RAM 1500 crew cabs

EA:
- Multiple Impalas
- 1x Nissan Frontier Crew Cab
Old Jul 12, 2013, 5:06 pm

Programs: was UA 1K now Gold, cuz UA 1.3 MM; HA,DL,AS (no status in these), Marriott Gold
HUGE increase in weekly SUV rental cost at OGG?

Usually go to OGG a couple of times a year & rent a mid-size SUV (Ford Escape?). This usually prices out to approx $400 for a week (Sept 2012 $414, Jan 2013 $401). However, today for a week in mid-August the quote (before taxes) was about $795. HUH!!!!! Just for comparison, looked at Hertz & the non-member rate for a Rav4 was almost $1k. Anyone see similar price inflation for SUVs at OGG? (BTW, reserved a Jeep Wrangler @ approx $550 for a week, but perhaps can do one of those "pick any car" upgrades on arrival.)
Old Jul 12, 2013, 5:29 pm

Programs: IHG Plat, JGC, Asiana Diamond, National EE
Originally Posted by BH62
Usually go to OGG a couple of times a year & rent a mid-size SUV (Ford Escape?). This usually prices out to approx $400 for a week (Sept 2012 $414, Jan 2013 $401). However, today for a week in mid-August the quote (before taxes) was about $795. HUH!!!!! Just for comparison, looked at Hertz & the non-member rate for a Rav4 was almost $1k. Anyone see similar price inflation for SUVs at OGG? (BTW, reserved a Jeep Wrangler @ approx $550 for a week, but perhaps can do one of those "pick any car" upgrades on arrival.)
it is more then likely high season....
Old Jul 12, 2013, 5:35 pm

Programs: was UA 1K now Gold, cuz UA 1.3 MM; HA,DL,AS (no status in these), Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Belinik
it is more then likely high season....
August? High season? As I said in my original post, it was $414 for a week in late August, 2012. But apparently it's a YMMV situation.
Old Jul 13, 2013, 3:49 pm

Originally Posted by BH62
August? High season? As I said in my original post, it was $414 for a week in late August, 2012. But apparently it's a YMMV situation.
Summer months (including August) = summer vacation = families taking their family vacations.

If those are the pre-tax rates, I can't imagine the total with taxes.

Unless you absolutely must have an SUV, probably better to take a gamble on the aisle (assuming it is much less than what you're getting quoted for the intermediate SUV).
Old Jul 14, 2013, 9:06 am

Originally Posted by qs933
Summer months (including August) = summer vacation = families taking their family vacations.

If those are the pre-tax rates, I can't imagine the total with taxes.

Unless you absolutely must have an SUV, probably better to take a gamble on the aisle (assuming it is much less than what you're getting quoted for the intermediate SUV).
My comparison costs for August, 2012 & January, 2013 for a mid-size SUV were the *exact* all-in charges to our credit card. And we've been paying approximately that much for some years of bi-annual OGG trips. I was commenting on the escalation in price. YMMV.
Old Nov 10, 2013, 11:00 am

Programs: USAIR Platinum, National EA
Delete, original message was in wrong forum, sorry

Last edited by SkiBum1229; Nov 11, 2013 at 10:39 am Reason: Posted to wrong forum
Old Nov 10, 2013, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
What car class had you reserved, if I might ask?
Old Nov 13, 2013, 12:50 am

Programs: USAIR Platinum, National EA
Today EA at 530pm had 2 2013 impala Ltz's, 2 grand caravans and a jeep patriot. ES had 2 brand new Fusion SE's with the 2.0 and lux package but no sunroof, an Altima, a captiva 2 impala lt's and a genesis. I had a convertible reservation and told the greater and said I could have a mustang or 200 that he would get from Alamo for me. I said mustang and he brought over a brand new 2014 mustang with premium package out. I really wanted to swap it for one of the fusions since the wife has a mustang, but she insisted on the convertible.

In reference to the previous poster, in kona I had a full size reservation and got the lacrosse as an upgrade.
Old Dec 27, 2013, 12:40 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, Southwest Rapid Rewards A-List, HHonors Gold
I'll be traveling here for leisure soon. It'll be my first time in Hawaii. Would you guys recommend paying a $70 difference for a luxury class vehicle from a midsize? I don't know how the status works with National since I just switched from Avis. If I don't like any of the luxury cars when I get there, will I still be able to pick out something else?
Old Dec 27, 2013, 2:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by htown
I'll be traveling here for leisure soon. It'll be my first time in Hawaii. Would you guys recommend paying a $70 difference for a luxury class vehicle from a midsize? I don't know how the status works with National since I just switched from Avis. If I don't like any of the luxury cars when I get there, will I still be able to pick out something else?
There is no reason to rent a luxury car in Hawai'i - it's just asking to waste money (gas is much more expensive) and if you get even slightly off the beaten path, a luxury car is not going to like the rougher roads, making a circle drive of Maui very difficult - not to mention the soft suspension will have everyone in the car hurling their breakfast if you drive to Hana.

You can upgrade to a convertible if you want something different, or a minivan/suv if you want something bigger (never leave any personal items of any kind visible in the car, especially true of a minivan/suv with lots of windows).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.