Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cars at OGG

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2017, 11:14 pm

Programs: National Exec, HA Pualani Gold
Picked up in the morning today (Thursday) -- shuttle (shared with Alamo) was packed.

In Exec Select when I first arrived:

- 2018 BMW 4-Series convertible (!)
- Nissan Maxima SV
- Nissan Altima SV (2x)
- Dodge Charger R/T (Hemi)
- Dodge Charger SXT (V6)
- Ford Fusion SE Hybrid
- Dodge Journey (looked like a higher trim than SXT)
- Toyota Sienna LE

While I was debating between the Maxima and Charger R/T, an agent moved a Nissan Murano SV from the reserve stalls to Exec, so I went with that instead. I've wanted to try a Murano, but have rarely seen one in HNL, let alone in ES, where I typically rent.

Just as I was pulling out with the Murano, an agent waived a brand new Cadillac XTS into Exec. Was tempted, but I was already halfway out and I already tried an XTS a couple years ago. They were filling the stalls almost as quickly as people were picking up. Before I left, a Taurus Limited and a Grand Caravan were brought around.

Definitely much more interesting than the usual fare at HNL -- not a single Impala or Malibu or base model Altima in sight.
ginmqi likes this.

Last edited by qs933; Aug 20, 2017 at 12:41 am
Old Aug 13, 2017, 8:07 pm

Programs: National Exec, HA Pualani Gold
Returned today (Sunday) after lunch -- before I caught the shuttle, took a look at the Exec Aisle. It was a totally different animal than when I picked up, and not in a good way.

In the Exec section:

- 2x Hyundai Sonata
- 2x Nissan Altima 3.5SL
- 1x Nissan Altima SV
- 1x Chevy Impala LT
- 1x Chevy Impala Limited LTZ (the old style one!)
- 1x Dodge Journey SXT
- 1x Ford Fusion Hybrid SE
- 1x Jeep Compass

If I was picking up, it'd be a toss-up between the Altima 3.5SL or the Fusion Hybrid.

Regarding one of the earlier discussions in this thread, there is a sign as you exit the lot about the areas on Maui that you shouldn't drive due to "hazardous road conditions."

ginmqi likes this.

Last edited by qs933; Aug 13, 2017 at 10:44 pm
Old Sep 17, 2017, 8:03 pm

Hi everyone - long time lurker and first time poster. Wanted to get some input - my wife and I will be traveling with our 8-month daughter to OGG. We arrive Monday noon on 9/25. Does anyone have experience with either EA or EC (btw, I think I have EC as my club card says Emerald Club Executive - that qualifies me for EC, right?)?

Any insight on what to expected in terms of selection would be highly appreciated as this will be the first time my wife and I will be traveling with our baby! We're hoping for a small SUV but looking at past posts it seems like SUVs are a hit or miss in the EA or EC selection. Just trying to get more data points...

Also - if no SUVs then what can we expect the selection to be? Arriving at Monday noon in September seems like an odd time but it's the only time I can get off from work.

Thank you!

Last edited by thatsku; Sep 17, 2017 at 8:20 pm
Old Sep 18, 2017, 5:31 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
Well, I arrived at noon yesterday (Sunday), and had my choice of colors of Altima, Camry, Sonata, or Fusion. That was it. I asked the attendant if they had any interesting cars available for executive members, and she said they could probably finagle a Jeep if I really wanted one. As I was hoping for a convertible or something sporty, I passed.
Old Oct 20, 2017, 10:09 am

Thanks as always to qs933 for the detailed reports. It confirms what appears to be a true pattern...I've asked several National agents (from various locations: HNL, LAS, LAX, ITO, KOA) that they see that thursdays and fridays are when more cars are available. They mention lot of business people + tourists cause the other days to be scarce and for some reason they do see lot of returns on Thur and Fri.

I haven't made it out to OGG yet but I'll definitely one of these weekends. Unfortunately I won't arrive until late Fri evening but I'll be sure to provide another update when I get out there.
Old Nov 12, 2017, 12:53 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite
Picked up a Cadillac XTS, everything is very nice but surprised at how long the car is. Other choices that looked interesting was a Ford Explorer and Nissan Frontier, other then that saw typical sedans like Nissan Altima, Chevy Malibu, and Dodge Charger
Old Dec 11, 2017, 4:25 pm

Originally Posted by msp3
Picked up a Cadillac XTS, everything is very nice but surprised at how long the car is. Other choices that looked interesting was a Ford Explorer and Nissan Frontier, other then that saw typical sedans like Nissan Altima, Chevy Malibu, and Dodge Charger
Looks like with luck, ES 'may' be able to score some nicer cars: 300C, BMW 430i convertible, Mustang convertible, XTS, Maxima SV, Charger R/T, etc.

I've read that some people were a bit underwhelmed by the XTS, good features in the XTS you felt like?

I'll be there next weekend so will see how the EA/ES is on an early friday afternoon. After reading the Revealed series, it appears there's no need for much of 4WD at all so I just booked for the EA/ES aisle and let's hope for a nice selection.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 7:04 pm

Originally Posted by ginmqi
I've read that some people were a bit underwhelmed by the XTS, good features in the XTS you felt like?
This may sound incredibly basic, but CarPlay is a big deal for me and gets rid of all the fuss adjusting to menus in a new car. The XTS has a normal navigation system, but also CarPlay when connected to your iPhone. The car felt well put together, like a quality vehicle. Cooled seats was also very nice. Overall, I did not get the sense I was in a gussied up Chevrolet Impala, which I think is a big accomplishment for GM over the years.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 7:10 pm

This may sound incredibly basic, but CarPlay is a big deal for me and gets rid of all the fuss adjusting to menus in a new car. The XTS has a normal navigation system, but also CarPlay when connected to your iPhone. The car felt well put together, like a quality vehicle. Cooled seats was also very nice. Overall, I did not get the sense I was in a gussied up Chevrolet Impala, which I think is a big accomplishment for GM over the years.
Great, that's very good to hear. I've heard good things about the new Caddys and maybe some people are just used to higher end german luxury....lol

But I do have Android, so I assume XTS can support whatever the CarPlay equivalent of android is...though I haven't used it. I assume it projects/links the phone to the vehicle infotainment system.....

Also seeing it's now December, maybe more 2018/newer cars will be up on the lot as well!
Old Dec 12, 2017, 2:15 pm

Great, that's very good to hear. I've heard good things about the new Caddys and maybe some people are just used to higher end german luxury....lol

But I do have Android, so I assume XTS can support whatever the CarPlay equivalent of android is...though I haven't used it. I assume it projects/links the phone to the vehicle infotainment system.....

Also seeing it's now December, maybe more 2018/newer cars will be up on the lot as well!
The weird thing is Cadillac *does* have unique things that compete with higher end German luxury like the CT6, but for some reason still makes the XTS which is smaller inside and based on the Chevrolet Impala (hence the gussied up comment). That said, I was also impressed with the Chevy the last time I had one, drives great for such a large car, and fit and finish is leaps and bounds ahead of the badge-engineering nightmare of the 90s.

And yes I do recall seeing something about Android Auto in the menus
^
ginmqi and Closingracer like this.
Old Dec 12, 2017, 3:15 pm

The weird thing is Cadillac *does* have unique things that compete with higher end German luxury like the CT6, but for some reason still makes the XTS which is smaller inside and based on the Chevrolet Impala (hence the gussied up comment). That said, I was also impressed with the Chevy the last time I had one, drives great for such a large car, and fit and finish is leaps and bounds ahead of the badge-engineering nightmare of the 90s.

And yes I do recall seeing something about Android Auto in the menus
^
Awesome, that's good to hear. I'll have to play around with the android auto as well. I just missed a Audi A6 at HNL so a bit bummed but hopefully OGG will have a good selection in the ES aisle.

Actually have a LCAR for this weekend at HNL so I may see what they have. I've actually seen a silver XTS being parked at ES in the HNL location a short while ago.
msp3 likes this.
Old Dec 19, 2017, 11:08 am
ls

Programs: MR PLT, HLT DIA
Originally Posted by Sopwith
We're scheduled to arrive at OGG at 10:40 pm in November. The web site says National closes at 11:00 pm, so we probably won't make it by then after waiting for bags. Does anyone know if they stay open to meet these late flights?
Sopwith, were you able to pick up the car?
Our AS863 also has a arrival time of 10:57pm...am I out of luck?
Old Dec 19, 2017, 5:27 pm

Originally Posted by ls
I know at other National locations, the agents know/have a list of who is arriving that day/night (better if you put in your flight number when you reserved) and OGG is one of the more popular tourist destinations and in winter time it will be very popular so I would not be too worried about not picking a car. But I would call the location maybe day of (if you can or day before) to give them a heads up about your situation just in case.

Also, selection could, infact, be good as at that time they may have already stocked the rows with cars in preparation for the next morning.

I'm arriving at 2pm this friday so will provide update as well.
Old Dec 20, 2017, 12:52 am
ls

Programs: MR PLT, HLT DIA
I know at other National locations, the agents know/have a list of who is arriving that day/night (better if you put in your flight number when you reserved) and OGG is one of the more popular tourist destinations and in winter time it will be very popular so I would not be too worried about not picking a car. But I would call the location maybe day of (if you can or day before) to give them a heads up about your situation just in case.

Also, selection could, infact, be good as at that time they may have already stocked the rows with cars in preparation for the next morning.

I'm arriving at 2pm this friday so will provide update as well.

thanks! will do.
ginmqi likes this.
Old Dec 20, 2017, 12:14 pm

Programs: Erstwhile Accidental AC E35K
Originally Posted by ls
Yes, no problem. Make sure your flight info is on the reservation. I also went armed with the local office phone number just in case. It was a bit of a battle to get it, but with perseverance I did. Unfortunately I didn't keep it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.