Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cars at PHX (Phoenix Airport)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2009, 8:44 am

Programs: AC 75K, BA Gold, Marriott Platinum, National EE, Sixt Platinum, Hertz PC, AVIS PC
Originally Posted by Paminaz
Every once and a while I go over what the Taxes and Fees are specifically in Phx at the Consolidated Rental Center.
Facility Charge - $6.00 per rental day and yes that's taxed. That pays for the rental center upkeep.
Concession Recoup Fee -11.11% is the airport fee. Pays for convenience of having rental cars in close prox. to the airport and services involved. And that is taxed.
Arizona Surcharge - 5% is a state licencing fee.
Maricopa County Surcharge - 3.25% or $2.50 whichever is greater. Stadium fee or however allocated at the time.
Sales Tax - 10.3% Sales tax on Rental cars...not on everything you buy!
Phx does Not have the highest taxes and fees in the nation...we are Number Six according to Auto Rental News earlier this year.
The facility charge is BS. Shouldn't the *profits* pay for the facility upkeep? If I went to Walmart and they started charging me something like a $6 Facility Charge on every sale to cover the upkeep of the building, I wouldn't be too happy.

Ron.
Old Oct 28, 2009, 9:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by newfbc
The facility charge is BS. Shouldn't the *profits* pay for the facility upkeep? If I went to Walmart and they started charging me something like a $6 Facility Charge on every sale to cover the upkeep of the building, I wouldn't be too happy.

Ron.
Common use rental facilities can be financed by several different means. It's possible the facility fee is a mandated collection, remitted to the airport authority. The requirement under the law is that mandatory fees be disclosed. I find National's online details presentation when booking to be very complete. Good luck convincing any state legislature to outlaw facility fees, resort fees, etc.

(I commonly rent off-airport in Phoenix, too, as ES selection + convenience isn't worth $200/week to me.)
Old Oct 31, 2009, 3:40 pm
formerly memoses

Programs: DL PM, SPG Plat, Hyatt Something or another, HH Blue :), National EE, Sixt Plat
Yes if you rent Off-Sight you may save the first two fees/taxes I listed, however you may end up paying more in the end paying for transportation to Get To & From the Off-Sight locations. Not to mention the extra time involved to do this.
I figure my Time is worth something when I'm on vacation. I don't like paying for things like this either when I go out of town somewhere but it's no diff than all the Add-Ons the Airlines and Hotels have. It's just one of those thing involved with travel that have been around for years.
They did just eliminate one of the fees in Phx. There used to be a Facility Fee that went away in June! A step in the right direction. There are lobbyists in every state plus all the "powers that be" within every car rental organization working continuously to reduce/eliminate fees across the country.

Every large or moderately large city with a decent rental car fleet has many car rental taxes and fees...not just Phx.
Cheers to getting off the plane and getting your rental car! I only notice the tax most when using Free Days. A weekend rental with Free Days in PHX nets me around $60+ in tax and fees, whereas Free Days in the off-airport = $9/day. BUT, is it worth taking the SuperShuttle and spending $25 to get to the off-airport, afterwhich you save maybe 10 bucks? Probably not! . For a week-long rental, however, it is something to consider.
Old Nov 20, 2009, 2:06 pm

Hi all,

Just wondering if there's any more insight as to what cars may be currently available in PHX.

We're coming down from Canada in less than a week, from 11/26 to 12/1. Looking to rent a full size, possibly a premium. We have a 4 month old baby...a small SUV may be ok, but a full or premium car would be fine too.

I am a Hertz Gold member and I've been treated ok with given the 5 or 6 rentals in the past year or so, found coupons online, given the odd upgrade and love the skipping the line thing. Though after reading the forums here, I could've probably made out better with them. Neither here nor there.

That said, looking at the Hertz forum, it appears PHX is one of the poorer locations for service. I don't usally complain or want to switch what was assinged to me, but I do peek to see what else is around and wish I had asked for something else. It sounds like doing that in PHX is a hassle, and certainly YMMV.

I am also a car guy, so skipping the line, then having the choice of what I want to ride, makes me think I should sign up for Emerald Club to get Emerald Aisle. Then I can skip line, and pick from a range of cars, not just take what was assigned. Reading the National website, it doesn't appear that "Premium" cars would ever end up in the "standard" aisle? If I booked a Emerald Reserve "full size" would there possibly be "premium" cars in that aisle?

But any insight as to what's currently/generally there in PHX would help...thanks in advance!
Old Nov 20, 2009, 6:49 pm
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Originally Posted by mryyc
Reading the National website, it doesn't appear that "Premium" cars would ever end up in the "standard" aisle? If I booked a Emerald Reserve "full size" would there possibly be "premium" cars in that aisle?
Not likely that you'd see a Premium in the "std" EA - they'd go to ES first if they were short of cars. Even less likely that you'd find Premium in the Full Size area.
Old Dec 2, 2009, 1:21 am

Originally Posted by peteropny
Not likely that you'd see a Premium in the "std" EA - they'd go to ES first if they were short of cars. Even less likely that you'd find Premium in the Full Size area.

Update: I decided to stick with my Hertz full size, but wandered down to the National Aisle before.

ES had a couple Ford Flex's, a pickup, and a Nissan Cube of all things...that's about it that stuck out to me at least. The Emerald Aisle had the standard fare.

Keep in mind this was Thursday, and Hertz was short luxury and premium themselves, so I am sure everyone else was too.

Flex would've been nice for us given what we found out we need, but likely not to have gotten it for anywhere near what we got at Hertz, unless National allowed us to pick from ES while paying for EA.
Old Mar 11, 2010, 8:35 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, BA, DL, CO, UA, F9, AS, SPG, HHonors Gold, WN, Club Carlson Gold,
Premium vs. Convertible

Planning a southwest road trip, Grand Canyon and other destinations in May, over Memorial Day weekend. Trying to decide between renting a Premium car or Convertible. There are just two of us. Any recommendations on which to choose?

Also, my reservation would be Emerald Reserve, and I am an Emerald Club member. If I reserve either the Premium or Convertible, with an Emerald Reservation, do I still have to go to the counter, or is there an aisle I can go to and pick a car? Though I am an Emerald Club member, I've never use any aisle service and have always gone to the counter. Therefore, I am not experienced in knowing when or what reservation I need to have to be able to pick a car in my reserved catetgory from some aisle. I'd appreciate any advice for this leisure traveler at PHX. Thanks!
Old Mar 11, 2010, 10:11 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by swdke
Planning a southwest road trip, Grand Canyon and other destinations in May, over Memorial Day weekend. Trying to decide between renting a Premium car or Convertible. There are just two of us. Any recommendations on which to choose?

Also, my reservation would be Emerald Reserve, and I am an Emerald Club member. If I reserve either the Premium or Convertible, with an Emerald Reservation, do I still have to go to the counter, or is there an aisle I can go to and pick a car? Though I am an Emerald Club member, I've never use any aisle service and have always gone to the counter. Therefore, I am not experienced in knowing when or what reservation I need to have to be able to pick a car in my reserved catetgory from some aisle. I'd appreciate any advice for this leisure traveler at PHX. Thanks!
Grand Canyon in May...Convertible would be awesome! You would be booking Emerald Reserve Service. You still By-pass the counter but when you go downstairs to Level 2 of the rental center, check in with the Greeters, tell them you are club members with a convertible res and they will direct you to where they are located in the garage. Pick the one you want, and head to the exit booth. Present your CC and License and you are on your way!
We have GPS available for rent if you need one...we carry Garman brand. $11.99 a day or $69 a week. If you are making a "b-line for the Canyon" it's about a 5 hr drive. Nice view straight up I-17, then you have a couple of choices from Flagstaff...on what highway from there.

Our standard Convert choices are Sebring and Mustang but we have some specialty choices you can ask about upon arrival. Those vary but we have BMW, Mercedes, etc.
Maybe I'll see ya when you get here!
Old Mar 12, 2010, 8:21 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, BA, DL, CO, UA, F9, AS, SPG, HHonors Gold, WN, Club Carlson Gold,
Grand Canyon in May...Convertible would be awesome! You would be booking Emerald Reserve Service. You still By-pass the counter but when you go downstairs to Level 2 of the rental center, check in with the Greeters, tell them you are club members with a convertible res and they will direct you to where they are located in the garage. Pick the one you want, and head to the exit booth. Present your CC and License and you are on your way!
We have GPS available for rent if you need one...we carry Garman brand. $11.99 a day or $69 a week. If you are making a "b-line for the Canyon" it's about a 5 hr drive. Nice view straight up I-17, then you have a couple of choices from Flagstaff...on what highway from there.

Our standard Convert choices are Sebring and Mustang but we have some specialty choices you can ask about upon arrival. Those vary but we have BMW, Mercedes, etc.
Maybe I'll see ya when you get here!

Paminaz, thank you so much for your reply. I think I will reserve a convertible and now have a reservation. As an Emerald Club member, my reservation states "Emerald Reserve" as Level of Service. In the past, as I am a leisure traveler, and becasue I didn't really know better, I've always gone to the rental counter. However for this trip, I would like to save time and bypass the rental counter. From your reply, I now know that with my reservation, I can simply go down to level 2 of the rental center, meet the greeters, and be directed to where the convertibles are located. Am I correct in that I can just pick any one I want? Also, you mentioned your standard choices are the Sebring and Mustang. Of these two, which do you recommend?

Also, is it my understanding that you indidate there might also be a convertible BMW or Mercedes available? If so, would I be able to select one of these instead of the Sebring or Mustang without extra cost? Overall, which is the preferred convertible if it were to be available?

I am arriving in the evening, Thursday, May 27, around 8:30 pm, any guess as to what brands of convertibles might generally be available on Thursday evenings at that time? However, it is near the start of a holiday weekend which I understand might reduce the overall availability of car brand choices.

Thanks for you reply and help with my questions.
Old Mar 12, 2010, 1:51 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by swdke
Am I correct in that I can just pick any one I want? Also, you mentioned your standard choices are the Sebring and Mustang. Of these two, which do you recommend?

Also, is it my understanding that you indidate there might also be a convertible BMW or Mercedes available? If so, would I be able to select one of these instead of the Sebring or Mustang without extra cost? Overall, which is the preferred convertible if it were to be available?

I am arriving in the evening, Thursday, May 27, around 8:30 pm, any guess as to what brands of convertibles might generally be available on Thursday evenings at that time? However, it is near the start of a holiday weekend which I understand might reduce the overall availability of car brand choices.

Thanks for you reply and help with my questions.
My Pleasure. You will be able to select from the Normal choice area any convertible you like, Yes indeed there is a Premium upgrade price to pay for the BMW/Mercedes class of vehicles on our lot. Those are part of our Specialty Fleet that is always changing here in Phx and we are quite Proud and Lucky to have it. It's a perk to living in the Valley of the Sun...an area that is always bustling with tourists and business travelers year round.

As far as a preference for the Sebring or the Mustang...I don't have a personal preference. One is more sporty and one is more classic in styling. Come take a look.
You are correct in your notion that the pickings may be slim on a holiday weekend where fleet utilization will be high. But we Will have a vehicle for you! We just might not have your Favorite Color!

We look forward to your visit in May!
Old Mar 12, 2010, 2:11 pm

Paminaz, great info, thanks again. Looking forward to our PHX trip. I'll say hello if I see you there. Thanks so much.
Old Mar 15, 2010, 10:26 am

Paminaz, hi, I have two more questions. Currently, I have a convertible reserved, and I believe I'll keep with that car class, however, I am curious as to what cars you generally have in your Premium car category?

The other question, regarding going to meet the Greeters and having them direct me to the convertible, when I go to the exit booth, will I be paying the rate I have reserved? The reason I ask, is that I have booked a reservation online, and with some online coupons, have a very good rate for a convertible. I figure if I were to go to the counter, that I'd get the rate, or total cost, that I have reserved. But, wondering if I simply pick my car class from the aisle of available cars, (convertibles), and go to the exit booth, do they look up my reservation and honor my reserved total cost?

I guess the reason I ask the above question is that because once, with a different car rental company, I had a fantastic rate reserved. But, when I went to the kiosk to avoid a line at the counter, and to check-in my car rental, the kiosk was not honoring my reserved rate, and was asking for hundeds more. So, I had to go to the counter, and they too at first wanted to charge me the same as the kiosk was trying to charged. I then presented my copy of my reservation which displayed the significatly lower rate which involved the agent checking with her suprvisor. I myself was not given any hassel and was provided with good customer service, and eventually my great rate was honored. Anyhow, the rate I have reserved now with National is also pretty good, and the current car rates for a convertible are now significantly higher. So, I was wondering, if I go to the exit booth to check out, will I be granted the current car rate at time of pick up, or will the rate I have reserved per my reservation be honored?

Thanks so much for all your help.

Last edited by swdke; Mar 15, 2010 at 10:42 am
Old Mar 21, 2010, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
My Premium (off airport) reservation landed an Infiniti G37, classed as Fullsize Elite (when taken out; coded GXAR on the final receipt). It's an Enterprise car with 35K miles but it is really very clean and has received new tires.

The wait for an Exec Select reservation than yielded a Standard, base VW Jetta is now entirely forgiven.

Last edited by 3Cforme; Mar 31, 2010 at 8:31 pm
Old Mar 23, 2010, 8:47 am

Programs: IHG PC - Plat, HHonors - Gold, Marriott - Plat
Renting car in May

I am an Emerald club member. I am renting a car in Mid May for a week to tour around with Family. My question is in regards to the Emerald Aisle and should i rent a mid size, standard or full size in reagrds to choices in the Emerald Aisle. I definately want a full size car as a minimum. Should I just rent this size car and have choices among them or will access to the Emerald Aisle yield me plenty of choices for this size car even if i have rented teh mid size? Any help in choosing the best option is appreciated.
Old Mar 23, 2010, 8:55 am
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Originally Posted by ncgator
I am an Emerald club member. I am renting a car in Mid May for a week to tour around with Family. My question is in regards to the Emerald Aisle and should i rent a mid size, standard or full size in reagrds to choices in the Emerald Aisle. I definately want a full size car as a minimum. Should I just rent this size car and have choices among them or will access to the Emerald Aisle yield me plenty of choices for this size car even if i have rented teh mid size? Any help in choosing the best option is appreciated.
First off welcome to Flyertalk and our National forum - ncgator!!!

If you need at least a full size, I'd go ahead and reserve a fullsize since that should "guarantee" you a fullsize (and the cost should only be perhaps $2 a day higher than midsize). Since you're EA, you would be able to pick from the Emerald Aisle (but not the Executive Selection) also in case they have something there that you would prefer.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.