Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > National | Emerald Club
Reload this Page >

Do you have a favorite car, least favorite car

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Do you have a favorite car, least favorite car

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2018, 7:35 am
Moderator: National Car

Programs: Delta PM, National EE, Hertz PC, Hilton DM
+1 to that. Paddle shifters have nothing to do with fuel economy unless you're engine braking at every intersection and running in a lower gear to 3000+ RPM n the highway (which most won't let you do anyways).
m907 likes this.
Old Apr 5, 2018, 10:08 am

Programs: National EE, Enterprise Platinum, Hertz President's Circle, NEXUS
Originally Posted by Closingracer
The Ford fusion isn't a gas guzzler if you don't have a lead foot..

Also how would paddle shifters be gas guzzlers? They allow you do shift manually if you choose to.
Rented a Ford Fusion Hybrid. Thing drank gas like there was no tomorrow. 150km used over half a tank.

Any paddle shifters means the car is a gas guzzler because it's "suped up"
Old Apr 5, 2018, 10:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by manohman
Rented a Ford Fusion Hybrid. Thing drank gas like there was no tomorrow. 150km used over half a tank.

That's not possible unless there is something wrong with the car....are you absolutely sure it's a hybrid? The non-hybrid will drink gas, especially any of the "so-called" Ecoboost models - I had an Ecoboost Escape one time that barely got 14mpg.

If it's a hybrid, you should see different visual controls on the dash, and make sure the ECO button is pressed and use a soft touch on the accelerator (google 'pulse driving for hybrid') and you should be getting over 40mpg.
jackal, Closingracer and m907 like this.
Old Apr 5, 2018, 11:48 am

As I said ford fusion isn't a gas guzzler if you know how to drive like somebody isn't in a rush.

I rented a Ford fusion hybrid and drove it it 50 miles and never had to fill it up. For a conversion it's about half of the 150 km you posted. 150km is about 93 miles. I am renting a infinti Q50 with the 3.0 twin turbo V6 and I don't even burn half a tank going 100 miles so I highly doubt a Ford fusion hybrid would burn half a tank with its inline 4 plus hybrid powertrain..

As far as paddle shifters goes that's not true what so ever. The 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee in the limited trim had them and a Ford fusion titanium has them to. The Ford fusion titanium has the ecoboost engine which is basically an inline 4 cylinder engine with a turbo on it. The Nissan maxima SR and platinum I think have them along with the 3.5 SL altima has them but they have CVT transmissions so it won't do much other then fake gear shifts. Paddle shifters aren't suped up models because if they were you aren't going to renting them because national wouldn't be ordering them.
Old Apr 5, 2018, 11:51 am

Originally Posted by bocastephen
That's not possible unless there is something wrong with the car....are you absolutely sure it's a hybrid? The non-hybrid will drink gas, especially any of the "so-called" Ecoboost models - I had an Ecoboost Escape one time that barely got 14mpg.

If it's a hybrid, you should see different visual controls on the dash, and make sure the ECO button is pressed and use a soft touch on the accelerator (google 'pulse driving for hybrid') and you should be getting over 40mpg.

Ecoboost engine in the non hybrid fusion still wouldn't burn half a tank going 93 miles (150 km) unless you're driving like an idiot on the street, traffic, flooring it or shifting it manually keeping the rpm high. Even in the Q50 I'm in atm I can easily keep the tank meter barely move on the highway going around 40 miles.

The thing with ecoboost engines is that it does save fuel if you're comparing the engine to a similar power output of a bigger engine. To get the 240 some off Horsepower and 270 ft lb of torque or so guessing the numbers of the ecoboost engine in the Ford fusion it would probably need to be a V6 or a bigger inline 4 engine. It's basically an inline 4 with a turbo and if you're soft on the pedal the gas figures should reach close as advertised which is around 35 Mpg on the highway I think?

Last edited by Closingracer; Apr 5, 2018 at 2:53 pm
Old Apr 5, 2018, 7:26 pm

I just driven 65 miles or 104 KM and my tank on this infinti Q50 with the 3.0t twin turbo V6 still has the tank on full (moved very slightly )

So it could very well be a bad car you driven or something else . Kind of difficult to drive 150km or 93 miles and use half a tank.
Old Apr 6, 2018, 12:21 am

I don't think that's even possible to use that much gas unless you're going 110 mph and even then probably not possible.
Closingracer likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2018, 6:56 pm

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Has anyone noticed the Fusions have vanished, hybrid and others? I went to renew my rental today and was told my Fusion Hybrid was being taken back for a recall....no way, I left and just extended the rental, I am not giving it up. I am wondering if this is affecting all Fusion Hybrids, as I've never seen another hybrid model at National other than the Fusion and a very rare Prius.
Old Apr 6, 2018, 7:03 pm

Has anyone noticed the Fusions have vanished, hybrid and others? I went to renew my rental today and was told my Fusion Hybrid was being taken back for a recall....no way, I left and just extended the rental, I am not giving it up. I am wondering if this is affecting all Fusion Hybrids, as I've never seen another hybrid model at National other than the Fusion and a very rare Prius.

There was a recall for all types of Ford fusions where the steering wheel might come off.

Ford recalls 1.4 million cars because steering wheel can come off

http://money.cnn.com/2018/03/14/news/companies/ford-steering-wheel-recall/index.html
Old Apr 6, 2018, 7:09 pm

^^That'll do it,

I also read that Ford is recalling F-150s and Expeditions for transmission issues as well....
Old Apr 6, 2018, 10:36 pm

Originally Posted by Closingracer
There was a recall for all types of Ford fusions where the steering wheel might come off.

Ford recalls 1.4 million cars because steering wheel can come off

Ford recall: Here are the models affected
Right, I know about the recall, but has anyone noticed if these cars are off the lots altogether at this point? The big Prius recall of a few years ago killed hybrid availability for almost an entire year.
Old Apr 6, 2018, 11:43 pm

I've got a long term rental out of HNL but haven't been back there yet to peek at the lot

With these recalls for safety issues, I'd highly predict that corporate fleets would pull them as fast as the recall became public...to limit any liability. Imagine the lawsuit if someone was hurt driving one of these recalled vehicles.
Old Apr 7, 2018, 6:14 am

Right, I know about the recall, but has anyone noticed if these cars are off the lots altogether at this point? The big Prius recall of a few years ago killed hybrid availability for almost an entire year.

I was at LGA last night and noticed a fusion. Looked like a gas model SE trim
Old Apr 10, 2018, 5:53 pm

Just add another note to the Ford fusion situation. I was at LGA again and they had 3 ford fusions on the lot all hybrids and 2018 model year ones.
bocastephen likes this.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 12:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta - GM, Hilton - Diamond, National - EE

This is surprising. I almost wonder if it had a bad chip in the EFI. I have been rolling in an '18 Fusion Titanium Hybrid since Monday. I am getting right at 42.0 MPG and it's sipping the petrol.

Everyone drives a bit differently and have different driving patterns but I have been very pleased with this ride. Much more impressed than anticipated. The Fusion far exceeds the experiences I have had in Altimas, Regals, Camerys, and other mid-sized sedans.

In fact I really like it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.