Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > National | Emerald Club
Reload this Page >

Do you have a favorite car, least favorite car

Old Dec 18, 2017, 5:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta - GM, Hilton - Diamond, National - EE

Do any of ya'll have a favorite "go-to" car that you kind of look for at the Executive Aisle?

For me it's the Nissan Maxima. Just really like the way the drive, very comfortable ergonomics for me, great technology.

My least favorite is the Buick Lacrosse.
ScrodmanFL and CarolinaRenter like this.
Old Dec 18, 2017, 5:16 pm

Basically if it meets these criteria:
1) Not the usual suspects (Altima, Impala, etc.)
2) Something I've not driven before
3) Standout feature/perk (whether its large cargo/people room, 4WD, luxury brand, hybrid/electric, convertible, etc.)

For example I'm in a 2018 Toyota Prius...never been a Prius fan but it was the only notable car on the lot for that day so I said why not.

I've yet to score a Maxima, but that's on my list of cars to drive!
m907 likes this.
Old Dec 18, 2017, 8:05 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
I'm the same as ginmqi. That being said, I've had a Maxima for my past two rentals (including one in progress). It's nothing special (sorry, SouthernBanker) but is better than the run-of-the-mill "usual suspects".
m907 likes this.
Old Dec 18, 2017, 11:02 pm

Programs: National Exec, HA Pualani Gold
Same here — as long as it’s something I haven’t driven before, and it meets my needs from a practical standpoint, I’m willing to try it.

Looking back at 2017, I was able to drive something different across all of my National and Enterprise rentals and not one of them was an Altima or Impala!

My favorite rental this year: this is going to sound surprising, but it actually was a 2018 Kia Soul. "Favorite" may be the wrong word -- maybe "surprised" or "impressed" would be better. It was fun to drive, carried 4 adults and shopping bags on the Vegas freeways and side streets without breaking a sweat, and had a nice infotainment screen with Apple Car Play support and a backup camera. Not bad for a lowly SCAR.

Keep in mind, I also had a couple of BMWs (a 5-series and X5), an Infiniti Q70, and an Audi Q3 this year too. I was surprised that the BMWs lacked basic

features such as a back up camera. The Q70 has a gauge cluster and infotainment screen from the late 2000s. The Q3 was actually pretty good.

For my worst rental this year...actually, I don't have one. I'd rent all of them again, if it came to that. Fortunately, both ICARs that I drove from Enterprise were upper-trim models: a Corolla SE (with Toyota Safety Sense and great looking 17" wheels) and a Sentra SR (LED headlights, nice wheels).
m907 likes this.

Last edited by qs933; Dec 19, 2017 at 12:33 am
Old Dec 18, 2017, 11:18 pm

Programs: DL Kettle| HH Pot
Infiniti Q50 is my favorite. Old Impala my least
CarolinaRenter likes this.
Old Dec 19, 2017, 1:00 pm

I will never take a Dodge Challenger again. I rented a v6 in LA a couple of years ago and was not impressed by it at all. Poor trim, poor visibility, slow for a 300 bhp car. Thirsty.
Old Dec 19, 2017, 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by Wadda
I will never take a Dodge Challenger again. I rented a v6 in LA a couple of years ago and was not impressed by it at all. Poor trim, poor visibility, slow for a 300 bhp car. Thirsty.
Good to know. Challengers are already heavy to begin with and the base model V6 is not very impressive...added the lower level trim and not much options and the poor visiblity...looks like I know what car to avoid even though I haven't driven this car yet. I'll probably only take one if it has the Hemi.
Old Dec 19, 2017, 4:04 pm

Programs: DL PM 0.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Gold, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold, Avis PC, National EE, Hertz PC
My picks tend to depend on my need. If its just 2 people or less riding with me, I am okay with grabbing a performance car / 2-door. I'd say my favorite would be the Camero SS - quick, powerful, nimble. I've driving the Mustang, Challenger, Miata, Q60, but find the Camero SS to be my favorite.
If I need a long distance cruiser, I tend to go for a Maxima or 300C - these cars specifically as they come with more technology features. However, if there is a Infiniti or BMW on the aisle, I will also grab those as they are not the usual suspects.
I seem to end up in the Grand Cherokee Limited a lot - another one of my favorite SUVs.

I think my worst rental this year was an Impala that did not have a backup camera. That or a Caravan.
Old Dec 19, 2017, 8:42 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond; National Car Rental Executive Elite
Most of my rentals are 500-1000 mileage over 3-4 days so I prefer vehicles that comfortably eat up highway miles and have the technology to help me make the most of my windshield time. Below are my most memorable rentals this year.

Most Favorite:

Ford Flex... perennially underrated. Vast cargo room and interior volume. Great driving characteristics. Fuel mileage of a semi truck.

Buick Lacrosse... supremely comfortable and quiet. CarPlay integration is seamless.

Fors Fusion Hybrid: surprisingly comfortable and well featured for a mid-market sedan. Averaged almost 40MPG over a 1,000 Mile trip.

Nissan Maxima... I am/was not a fan of Nissans across the board. Hiwever, I landed a highly optioned Maxima and thoroughly enjoyed it over a long trip. The infotainment system is outdated, but CarPlay integration was useful.

Least Favorite:

Chrysler 300C... best infotainment system available doesn’t make up for seats that are as flat as a board with slightly less cushioning. Fuel efficiency leaves a lot to be desired.

Nissan Rogue... Laughable features and drive quality. Seats were from a mid-90’s Honda.

BMW 430Ci... Drove like a dream, but wildly impractical. With the top down, the trunk will not accept anything larger than a briefcase. Infuriating electronics... after turning the car off, if the doors are locked, you have to pull the door handle twice to open the door. Couldn’t maintain a Bluetooth connection.

Cadillac XTS... Cue is still laughably difficult to use. Car drove like a dream, otherwise. Many, many better ways to spend $50k on a car.

ginmqi and m907 like this.
Old Dec 19, 2017, 11:40 pm

Something different.....lol.....Favourites: We always have a lot of gear...as we travel for sport. The soccer Mum type vans have impressed the hell out of me...mainly because (until very recently) the better types were simply not available here...so they came as a surprise.... decent engines...under floor storage, captains chairs in back.... powered side doors/tailgate .......No need to play tetris to get get the bags in....

Least favourite: Do they still rent those god-awful PT cruisers?
Old Dec 20, 2017, 1:04 am

Originally Posted by ginmqi
Good to know. Challengers are already heavy to begin with and the base model V6 is not very impressive...added the lower level trim and not much options and the poor visiblity...looks like I know what car to avoid even though I haven't driven this car yet. I'll probably only take one if it has the Hemi.
I would not even take one with a hemi in it! I would not take a Charger either as its basically the same car but with two extra doors. I have back to back rentals of the Challanger in LA then a Impala LTZ In Miami. The Impala was so much nicer to drive and felt quicker too. It was also a V6. Am from the UK. Gas prices here are 2.5x the price of the USA so I don't mind a thirsty car while am in the USA.

My favourite rental was a Corvette from Hertz back in 2011. I got a great deal on it but only had it for a week. Second favourite was a Brand new Ram 2500 (30 miles on the clock) I rented for the day from Enterprise in Hoboken to drive up to Orange County Choppers. It was way too big for what needed but I enjoyed the experience.

I would like to drive a new Camero or the 2018 Mustang if I am in the USA next year.
ginmqi likes this.
Old Dec 20, 2017, 1:29 am

Originally Posted by qs933
My favorite rental this year: this is going to sound surprising, but it actually was a 2018 Kia Soul. "Favorite" may be the wrong word -- maybe "surprised" or "impressed" would be better. It was fun to drive, carried 4 adults and shopping bags on the Vegas freeways and side streets without breaking a sweat, and had a nice infotainment screen with Apple Car Play support and a backup camera. Not bad for a lowly SCAR.

The Q70 has a gauge cluster and infotainment screen from the late 2000s. The Q3 was actually pretty good.
I've also rented a Kia Soul and was pleasantly surprised. It feels sort of like an SUV but with good gas mileage. Decent torque and decent infotainment too. Definitely the best of the compact class.

I rented a Infiniti QX60 and I agree that the base infotainment is bizarre, straight out of 2005. It's also strange that the QX60 is a midsize SUV, the QX70 is a small SUV, and the QX80 is a land yacht SUV. And the names are dumb too. They just released the face-lifted '18 QX80 and it's slightly less ugly.

Originally Posted by EmptyKim
Infiniti Q50 is my favorite. Old Impala my least
The old Impala still haunts Hertz and Avis/Budget lots...
Old Dec 20, 2017, 8:19 am

I try to avoid all Nissan and Infiniti products (except the new Maxima). My go-to choice is a Grand Cherokee Limited if available or if I'm traveling with the family, I try to hunt for a higher spec'd Pacifica.
Old Dec 20, 2017, 9:03 am

This year I got to try some luxury cars for the first time. I really enjoyed the Infinitis that I rented, especially the Q70.

My least favorite cars are those with digital fuel gauge. They always seem to drop below F even if I refuel just before getting to the airport.
Old Dec 20, 2017, 11:12 am

Originally Posted by aww3583
Ford Flex... perennially underrated. Vast cargo room and interior volume. Great driving characteristics. Fuel mileage of a semi truck.
ditto on the Flex...great car. Combines the benefits of a sedan and an SUV and feels like a limo inside. Unfortunately there are rumors that Ford will discontinue it in the next couple years.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.