Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > National | Emerald Club
Reload this Page >

Do you have a favorite car, least favorite car

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Do you have a favorite car, least favorite car

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2018, 9:35 am

Programs: UA, AA, Marriott, National, Sixt
I usually try to get something I have not driven before, but if the usual's are there, my go to vehicles are:
- Jeep Grand Cherokee (Love how it drives and how the driver position is)
- Nissan Maxima (Because of the power and the equipment. I don't like how it drives though and I really dislike the CVT)
- Chevy Camaro SS (If available - this car is a riot to drive. Turn on track mode, turn off traction control and you can have some serious fun)
- Infiniti Q50 3.0t (If available - amazing to drive. The entry level stereo is on par with a stereo in a honda civic or corolla - absolutely rubbish; look for the silver Bose grill and that's a MASSIVE upgrade)

My lease favorite:
- Nissan Altima (Vanilla Car; extremely boring to drive)
- Nissan Rogue (One of the most awful driving cars on the road)
- Chevy Malibu / Impala
Old Mar 22, 2018, 11:10 am

I usually look for cars I haven't driven before, or cars I would never think of purchasing (SUV's and domestics)

My typical go-to's are the Dodge Charger and Chrysler 300
Old Mar 22, 2018, 5:26 pm

Originally Posted by buck3y3nut
I usually try to get something I have not driven before, but if the usual's are there, my go to vehicles are:
- Nissan Maxima (Because of the power and the equipment. I don't like how it drives though and I really dislike the CVT)
- Chevy Camaro SS (If available - this car is a riot to drive. Turn on track mode, turn off traction control and you can have some serious fun)
- Infiniti Q50 3.0t (If available - amazing to drive. The entry level stereo is on par with a stereo in a honda civic or corolla - absolutely rubbish; look for the silver Bose grill and that's a MASSIVE upgrade)

My lease favorite:
- Chevy Malibu / Impala

You should try the Altima 3.5SL. Top trim and the power is actually quite good for a mid size car.
Old Mar 22, 2018, 11:30 pm

The Maxima is surprisingly fast but that's about it. The infotainment system is one of the worst I've seen, looks like it's straight out of 2006.
buck3y3nut likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2018, 6:43 am

Originally Posted by m907
The Maxima is surprisingly fast but that's about it. The infotainment system is one of the worst I've seen, looks like it's straight out of 2006.

I'll still take it over any Toyota. At least it has Apple Carplay and Android auto.
jackal likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2018, 10:02 am
Used to be bulldoggolfer05

Programs: HGP DMD, HHonors DMD, SPG PLT, MR PLT
The Maxima beats the Avalon by a long shot. If the Maxima's infotainment is from 2006, the Avalon's is from 1995...
m907 likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2018, 1:44 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond; National Car Rental Executive Elite
Completely agree.

Incredibly comfortable driving position and a fun to drive car. The infotainment system is laughably bad. Nissan uses a similar system in their upmarket Infinitis, too.
Old Mar 23, 2018, 2:32 pm

Programs: DL Kettle| HH Pot

My lease favorite:
- Chevy Malibu / Impala
If you find the Q50 3.0t in AWD its a blast! Just stomp the gas pedal and off you go!
Old Mar 23, 2018, 3:48 pm

Originally Posted by aww3583
Completely agree.

Incredibly comfortable driving position and a fun to drive car. The infotainment system is laughably bad. Nissan uses a similar system in their upmarket Infinitis, too.
Yeah I rented a QX60 once and thought, this is a luxury car?

I actually don't think the Maxima is that fun to drive because it's FWD and I hate the torque steer. I may be snooty but fast cars should be RWD or AWD.
buck3y3nut and strickerj like this.
Old Mar 23, 2018, 7:17 pm

Yeah I rented a QX60 once and thought, this is a luxury car?

I actually don't think the Maxima is that fun to drive because it's FWD and I hate the torque steer. I may be snooty but fast cars should be RWD or AWD.

Actually the QX60 is classified as a premium crossover with the Durango. I would call it that much as well in the old body style. The 2019 model actually looks quite nice .

The torque steer on the maxima isn't bad imho
Old Mar 23, 2018, 9:49 pm

Favorite cars: 2018 Lincoln Navigator, Chevy Corvette, Infiniti Q60 Coupe 3.0t (liked it even better than the Q50)

Favorite EA cars: Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited, Ford Edge Titanium

Least favorite EA cars: Jeep Patriot, base trim Chevy Malibu, I don't particularly like Toyotas
Old Mar 24, 2018, 1:08 am

Originally Posted by Closingracer
Actually the QX60 is classified as a premium crossover with the Durango. I would call it that much as well in the old body style. The 2019 model actually looks quite nice .

The torque steer on the maxima isn't bad imho
I did enjoy driving the QX60 but the infotainment was severely lacking.
Old Mar 24, 2018, 8:17 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, American Air, National Car
Avalon , def ... -haven’t seen recently
Camry is generally ok , but fallback , look for the premium of other brands first

drove maximas recently — did San Diego to SF this week — nice car , good gas mileage , handles great
Old Mar 25, 2018, 8:23 pm

Programs: UA, AA, Marriott, National, Sixt
Originally Posted by Closingracer
You should try the Altima 3.5SL. Top trim and the power is actually quite good for a mid size car.
Suffers from the same Nissan's CVT transmission. Yes there is power, but the whole CVT thing makes it no fun.

Originally Posted by EmptyKim
If you find the Q50 3.0t in AWD its a blast! Just stomp the gas pedal and off you go!
Agree with this. I had one for a week and absolutely enjoyed it. I rent from CLE quite a bit and from the PC section at Hertz, you can get Q50 3.0t RWD. I usually turn it on Sport Mode, turn off the Traction Control. Put the shifter to the side (to manually shift) and enjoy Try it. You can make the car slide. And at RPMs at 6000 plus, the motor sounds SWEET. That's a turbo motor that feels naturally aspirated.

The Maxima feels quick, but it's boring quick.

I recently had a Jaguar XE 2.5t. Now THAT is one fun turbo car to drive, especially on the streets of La Jolla, CA
jackal likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2018, 7:06 am

Suffers from the same Nissan's CVT transmission. Yes there is power, but the whole CVT thing makes it no fun.

Agree with this. I had one for a week and absolutely enjoyed it. I rent from CLE quite a bit and from the PC section at Hertz, you can get Q50 3.0t RWD. I usually turn it on Sport Mode, turn off the Traction Control. Put the shifter to the side (to manually shift) and enjoy Try it. You can make the car slide. And at RPMs at 6000 plus, the motor sounds SWEET. That's a turbo motor that feels naturally aspirated.

The Maxima feels quick, but it's boring quick.

I recently had a Jaguar XE 2.5t. Now THAT is one fun turbo car to drive, especially on the streets of La Jolla, CA

The Nissan CVT isn't that bad unless your an ultra car snob or something. Given the options the Altima 3.5 SL or SL trim isn't bad if it's barren of anything better.. In general I'll take an Altima period over some other options if it's just Altimas, camerys and so forth. Even in base model it's good on gas, comfortable seats and push button start.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.