Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > National | Emerald Club
Reload this Page >

Do you have a favorite car, least favorite car

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Do you have a favorite car, least favorite car

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2018, 10:57 am

Programs: UA, AA, Marriott, National, Sixt
Originally Posted by Closingracer
The Nissan CVT isn't that bad unless your an ultra car snob or something. Given the options the Altima 3.5 SL or SL trim isn't bad if it's barren of anything better.. In general I'll take an Altima period over some other options if it's just Altimas, camerys and so forth. Even in base model it's good on gas, comfortable seats and push button start.
Oh I understand that. I was just stating my preference. I personally do not like how the CVTs behave - especially when you accelerate. I'm no car snob, but I do like to have fun especially when I know I can throw it around since it isn't my car
Having said that - if on a lot I only had a choice between Toyota Camry, Nissan Altima, and the Chevy Malibu / Impala - I will pick the Altima. I hate the way Toyota's and the Chevy's drive.
My last rental at National - they had a Mazda CX-5. What a nice ride. That's one I would even consider getting myself.
Old Mar 26, 2018, 11:44 am

Originally Posted by buck3y3nut
Oh I understand that. I was just stating my preference. I personally do not like how the CVTs behave - especially when you accelerate. I'm no car snob, but I do like to have fun especially when I know I can throw it around since it isn't my car
Having said that - if on a lot I only had a choice between Toyota Camry, Nissan Altima, and the Chevy Malibu / Impala - I will pick the Altima. I hate the way Toyota's and the Chevy's drive.
My last rental at National - they had a Mazda CX-5. What a nice ride. That's one I would even consider getting myself.
Its funny that rental cars are alway the fastest cars in the world, right ;-)
Old Mar 26, 2018, 11:58 am

Programs: UA, AA, Marriott, National, Sixt
Originally Posted by Theduck1992
Its funny that rental cars are alway the fastest cars in the world, right ;-)
Absolutely! Jeremy Clarkson definitely agrees to that statement
Old Mar 26, 2018, 4:46 pm

The Nissan CVT isn't that bad unless your an ultra car snob or something. Given the options the Altima 3.5 SL or SL trim isn't bad if it's barren of anything better.. In general I'll take an Altima period over some other options if it's just Altimas, camerys and so forth. Even in base model it's good on gas, comfortable seats and push button start.
There are some people who just want something comfortable, that's fine. Others want something interesting/exciting. The Altima is a very comfortable car for a passive driver.
Old Mar 26, 2018, 7:48 pm

Originally Posted by m907
There are some people who just want something comfortable, that's fine. Others want something interesting/exciting. The Altima is a very comfortable car for a passive driver.

Still all things considered the Altima is exciting enough with the V6 or even the inline 4 if you're comparing to the Camerys and chevy cars . The only other cars I would take that is in the full size class if they have them over the Altima is the Ford Fusion titanium with the ecoboost engine . If they had the optima or Mazda 6 those as well. Haven't driven a Sonata but the new one looks nice
Old Mar 26, 2018, 8:06 pm

Programs: AA, DL, UA (Silver), WN
Most favorite car was my 1971 BMW 2002. Drove it for 16 years, everywhere in Western Europe, including Iceland, and of course in the USA.
Least favorite was an East German 1975 "Loaner" Trabant - Totally awful - the body was made out of some sort of "paper mache" - the only good thing was it didn't rust!
Old Mar 26, 2018, 11:19 pm

Still all things considered the Altima is exciting enough with the V6 or even the inline 4 if you're comparing to the Camerys and chevy cars . The only other cars I would take that is in the full size class if they have them over the Altima is the Ford Fusion titanium with the ecoboost engine . If they had the optima or Mazda 6 those as well. Haven't driven a Sonata but the new one looks nice
Out of curiosity why are you only naming FCARs? Those are all decent cars but none of them are fast or sporty, unless they're in a sport trim which you're unlikely to find. I'd rather pick a sporty sedan or SUV than a regular FCAR.
jackal likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 6:04 am

Out of curiosity why are you only naming FCARs? Those are all decent cars but none of them are fast or sporty, unless they're in a sport trim which you're unlikely to find. I'd rather pick a sporty sedan or SUV than a regular FCAR.

Because depending on the place and season you're not going to find much else.
Old Mar 28, 2018, 2:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Still all things considered the Altima is exciting enough with the V6 or even the inline 4 if you're comparing to the Camerys and chevy cars .
I will agree with you on the Camry (it's reliable but reliably boring), but I will absolutely take an Impala LT/LTZ with a V6 badge only over an Altima any day if one is on the line.
m907 likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2018, 2:58 pm

Originally Posted by jackal
I will agree with you on the Camry (it's reliable but reliably boring), but I will absolutely take an Impala LT/LTZ with a V6 badge only over an Altima any day if one is on the line.

Eh I wouldn't. I find the V6 in the impala to be pretty Meh and it's a big car. Actually the new 2019 Altima does look nice though.
Old Mar 28, 2018, 9:32 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT (3.6+ MM), UA 1K LT Gold, Hilton LT Diamond, Bonvoy Gold.
Best - Corvette Stingray with 300 miles on the clock from IAD. Fast, run loud and brash. Also had all the toys.
Worst - Mitsubishi Outlander 'Sport' from SFO. 600 miles from new, it was poorly built, slow, thirsty, under-equipped for the top of the range model, outdated infotainment system and torque steer like I haven't felt since the 80's (and it had a 4WD sticker on the rear!).

I am always looking for something unusual, so not the usual Japanese appliances or bland crappy US econoboxes. It helps that I can choose form the executive side, but sometimes I swear they just put cars in random spots. I would not call a base 2.5 Altima with cloth seats a full size. No sir.
Old Mar 29, 2018, 12:48 am

Eh I wouldn't. I find the V6 in the impala to be pretty Meh and it's a big car. Actually the new 2019 Altima does look nice though.
Looks like they're Toyotaizing the design. I still have never liked the look of Nissans.
Old Mar 29, 2018, 5:54 am

Originally Posted by timfountain
Best - Corvette Stingray with 300 miles on the clock from IAD. Fast, run loud and brash. Also had all the toys.
Worst - Mitsubishi Outlander 'Sport' from SFO. 600 miles from new, it was poorly built, slow, thirsty, under-equipped for the top of the range model, outdated infotainment system and torque steer like I haven't felt since the 80's (and it had a 4WD sticker on the rear!).

I am always looking for something unusual, so not the usual Japanese appliances or bland crappy US econoboxes. It helps that I can choose form the executive side, but sometimes I swear they just put cars in random spots. I would not call a base 2.5 Altima with cloth seats a full size. No sir.

In the rental industry they classify the cars one class higher then what they are .Unless it's a rare Honda lol
Old Mar 29, 2018, 5:55 am

Looks like they're Toyotaizing the design. I still have never liked the look of Nissans.

They aren't toyitaizing it at all and I love the new look plus my favorite rental is the maxima Tbh.
Old Mar 29, 2018, 10:31 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat, SPG Platinum, National Executive
My least favorites tend to be the "upscale" German brands that are always (at least, for me) nearly the base trim.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.