Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cars at YYZ

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2012, 10:47 am
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

What status are you with National? Basic Emerald Club or Executive/Elite? If you are Executive/Elite, you are entitled to take from the ES (Executive Selection), and chances are pretty good that you'll find a Premium there. If you are basic Emerald, you're only entitled to EA (Emerald Aisle) and your chances are greatly diminished.

The way that upgrades work are that you book the class you want and are charged one class less - so your full-size booking is at the mid-size "rate" - no further upgrades are entitled to. Of course you could ask, but don't expect a yes.
Old Jun 28, 2012, 10:56 am

Originally Posted by peteropny
What status are you with National? Basic Emerald Club or Executive/Elite? If you are Executive/Elite, you are entitled to take from the ES (Executive Selection), and chances are pretty good that you'll find a Premium there. If you are basic Emerald, you're only entitled to EA (Emerald Aisle) and your chances are greatly diminished.

The way that upgrades work are that you book the class you want and are charged one class less - so your full-size booking is at the mid-size "rate" - no further upgrades are entitled to. Of course you could ask, but don't expect a yes.
I am Executive, but I am really not interested in any Impalas that the full-size was referring to. Can I ask the counter to see what premium cars are available, especially I am using the rental credit to reserve the one-way? I tried to give them a call but it's not reachable.

Also, I have tried to have a dummy booking with returning the car at YYZ. Premiums came up. Do you think I can actually reserve the premium again with the one-day credit, and tell them I will make it an one-way to make sure I receive the premium or luxury?

Last edited by PaulInTheSky; Jun 28, 2012 at 11:02 am
Old Jun 30, 2012, 12:02 am

Friday, 23:00: Slim pickings. Only about a dozen slots filled, including six Edges, an Explorer and a Pathfinder. One 200 and one Maxima were the only sedans available. A Flex pulled in as I drove an Edge out.
Old Jul 3, 2012, 12:05 am

Programs: AC SE*MM, Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Gold, National EE, Sixt Plat, Hz 5*
I was there June 6, and June 20th.

6th,

5.0 Mustangs, G37x, Taurus, EDGE, Maxima etc. took a 5.0 with 100k on it, but did I ever hate the enabled mykey 130kph limit.

20th,

G37X, Genesis, Taurus. Was offered MKZ as a luxury rental but instead took the G37 off the aisle at the midsize rate.
Old Jul 15, 2012, 11:43 am

Programs: AC*G; BD*G; CX; SPG Plat; Hyatt Diam
Picked up on Sun, July 1. Maximas, 5.0GTs (including convertible), G37, Taurus.
Old Jul 20, 2012, 10:43 pm

Programs: *G, ow Saph
Picked up today, T1. EA was a total grab bag: Altima, Maxima, 200, Avenger, a nice black Charger (which I grabbed), SUV. I don't think there were two of the same car in the entire aisle! Admittedly, I didn't roam far since I liked my ride, but the first eight or so cars I saw were all different--and I'm 99% sure there was no Mustang or anything more interesting than the Charger
Old Jul 20, 2012, 10:53 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Hertz President's Circle, Hyatt Platnium, National Executive Elite
How many National locations are there at YYZ? I was told there are two, one is located in Terminal 1 and another at Terminal 3. Do both terminals have Executive Selections? Which one is bigger and has better selections?

Description on Page 1 was dated back in 2010 so not sure if there are changes in 2012.

Last edited by nightracerx; Jul 20, 2012 at 11:09 pm
Old Jul 21, 2012, 8:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan, Priority Club, National Exec Elite, Hertz #1 Gold, Avis First, Thrifty Bluechip
Originally Posted by nightracerx
How many National locations are there at YYZ? I was told there are two, one is located in Terminal 1 and another at Terminal 3. Do both terminals have Executive Selections? Which one is bigger and has better selections?

Description on Page 1 was dated back in 2010 so not sure if there are changes in 2012.
Greetings.

I wrote the 2010 description and it's stayed more or less the same. Should have a look and possibly update it. There is a National counter at both terminals (T1 and T3). In my experience, T1 is way better as the National lot there is much bigger. At T3 there are only about 6-8 ES spaces, whereas T1 has two full rows of about 12-14 spaces each, plus an EA row. T3 also shares the "rental" space with the returns area, so sometimes usable spaces are blocked off by returning cars. This means there's no real Emerald Reserve area with other classes of cars to choose from.

If you're coming into T3 and it's not too inconvenient I'd highly recommend hoping the Link over to T1. After dozens of rentals I can only think of one or two times that there was little selection at T1 that necessitating a trip over to T3.
Old Jul 21, 2012, 9:57 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Hertz President's Circle, Hyatt Platnium, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by Tuneman1984
Greetings.

I wrote the 2010 description and it's stayed more or less the same. Should have a look and possibly update it. There is a National counter at both terminals (T1 and T3). In my experience, T1 is way better as the National lot there is much bigger. At T3 there are only about 6-8 ES spaces, whereas T1 has two full rows of about 12-14 spaces each, plus an EA row. T3 also shares the "rental" space with the returns area, so sometimes usable spaces are blocked off by returning cars. This means there's no real Emerald Reserve area with other classes of cars to choose from.

If you're coming into T3 and it's not too inconvenient I'd highly recommend hoping the Link over to T1. After dozens of rentals I can only think of one or two times that there was little selection at T1 that necessitating a trip over to T3.
Thanks for the update! I will arrive to T1 in two weeks and hopefully get something nice.
Old Jul 23, 2012, 3:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Any recent reports from the downtown/YTZ location? I have a one-way to pickup next week for Buffalo using a free-day (which thankfully reduced the cost from $120+mileage to about $4 with unlimited miles) - the highest category I could book was full size, but I'd rather not drive there in a crappy Impala and don't want to waste time driving to YYZ for a swap on such a short rental.
Old Jul 27, 2012, 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by bocastephen
Any recent reports from the downtown/YTZ location? I have a one-way to pickup next week for Buffalo using a free-day (which thankfully reduced the cost from $120+mileage to about $4 with unlimited miles) - the highest category I could book was full size, but I'd rather not drive there in a crappy Impala and don't want to waste time driving to YYZ for a swap on such a short rental.
I've gone there several times when I feel too lazy to head to YYZ. Really depends on the day and time you come, but so far I've rented from the downtown location:

-VW 2.5 Golf
-Ford Fiesta and Focus Titanium editions
-Chrysler 200, Mitsubishi Lancer, Nissan Sentra
-Nissan Maxima
-Grand Cherokee, Ford Flex, and Grand Caravans
Old Jul 31, 2012, 7:43 am

Arrow

YYZ T1 Sunday night ES aisle was loaded with Maximas, G37s, Explorers, Edges and one Mustang GT 5.0 hard top.

Last night when I was returning the Mustang ES was loaded with all sorts of SUVs, one Wrangler and one Kia Optima and the lot was loaded with mustangs GT . I saw at least six of them I asked the guy and he said they got a whole bunch of them fully loaded.

I even took a pic but it was dark.

http://img41.imageshack.us/img41/1131/img0827sk.jpg
Old Jul 31, 2012, 1:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Had a less-than-stellar "chat" with the agent at the YTZ/Downtown location. They do not reserve anything larger than a full-size and if they have any nice cars, they are held for 'upsells' to customers regardless of elite status - meaning if you reserve a full size and there is a Taurus or 300 on the lot, then you cannot have it unless you pay the upgrade fee and they don't care if you're Joe-off-the-street or Mr Uber-Elite.
Old Jul 31, 2012, 2:12 pm

Had a less-than-stellar "chat" with the agent at the YTZ/Downtown location. They do not reserve anything larger than a full-size and if they have any nice cars, they are held for 'upsells' to customers regardless of elite status - meaning if you reserve a full size and there is a Taurus or 300 on the lot, then you cannot have it unless you pay the upgrade fee and they don't care if you're Joe-off-the-street or Mr Uber-Elite.
Not sure if you already picked up your car, but do what I do - I usually go to the parking lot first and scope out the rentals available. I then ask politely for an upgrade and specify the car you want, tell them you're going to a wedding or date weekend or what not. They've allowed me to upgrade to some cars.
Old Jul 31, 2012, 3:34 pm

YTZ is one of the worse locations. I usually avoid it at any cost they have few cars and always try to upsell.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.