weird posting of Goldpoints

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

weird posting of Goldpoints

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2002, 9:44 am
Original Member

Programs: AA- Lifetime Platinum; Marriott - Lifetime Platinum: Starwood - Gold; IHG - Platinum
JonNYC:

Thanks for the detail (vague tho the rep's answers were).

This morning my GP balance also says zero with no transactions posting. I didn't have enough points for the auto transfer of 2000, so hopefully something posted from Valuemags or Hallmark.

Still waiting. . .

[This message has been edited by paradocs (edited 01-21-2002).]
Old Jan 21, 2002, 10:07 am
Suspended

See my posts in the Point Conversion thread onthe Radisson board my account shows 0 balance too should be only 1790 since yesterdays redemption. It appears they are taking back the points for the amount of your discount ie you get points on the $ value AFTER the discount.
Mike
Old Jan 21, 2002, 10:17 am

I am missing around 500,000 points from two Valuemags orders (Dec 18th/19th) and a Hallmark order (Dec 29th), I also jsut had 14,000 points removed from my goldpoints account for no apparent reason.

I called Goldpoints and spoke to a polite CSR who gave lots of information but was unable to do anything to help. He told me the following:

1) Due to the massive response to the triple points promotion they were overwhelmed with orders at the end of December.

2) On January 4th "Goldpoints, the intermediary and the affiliates" agreed to put a 30 hold on the posting of points as allowed under the terms and conditions. The 30 days is from January 4th NOT the date of the order.

3) Before the end of the 30 days they are going to audit all the transactions from the triple points promotion and ensure everything is correct.

4) After the 30 days (Feb 3rd) if points are still not correct then we should call then to get discrepencies looked at.

5) The CSR did not know why points were deducted (I did not use the 15% off coupon so it is unlikely to be that).

6) Points currently in the goldpoints account can be transferred to an airline.

I was reassured by the CSR that I would get my points (hopwefully not in the same way that the CEO of Enron reassured his employees that they should keep buying stock while he was cashing out).

I hope they do get this all resolved soon otherwise my honeymoon to Australia is gonig to cost me a lot more for travel than I anticipated

Mark.
Old Jan 21, 2002, 10:55 am

my big problem with this is that i'll be in australia on feb 3 until november...that makes it VERY difficult to deal with this issue.

they said thirty business days from the date of transaction...for me that's the 31st of this month.
Old Jan 21, 2002, 11:05 am

well, the story seems to change regularly.

i spoke to jim at goldpoints. he told me that the delay was because of the computer system.

to ensure customers dont cancel at valuemags, they're holding the points for 30 days. they can't put the values into the computer at all, because the system wasn't designed for that. consequently, once the thiry days expire, they are then MAUALLY entering in points. he told me they are 2 weeks behind in manually entering points.

*sigh*

at least he was polite

but the story keeps changing.......
Old Jan 21, 2002, 11:14 am
Suspended

Remember when they were sending out a "writing" asking us to sign it and commit not to cancel ValueMags orders to protect themselves?

Perhaps they should be giving us written assurances that if we patiently wait beyond the 30-day cancellation period-- for them to get their S. together-- that WE will be similarly protected?

[This message has been edited by JonNYC (edited 01-21-2002).]
Old Jan 21, 2002, 11:36 am
Suspended

It is not necesarily true that Goldpoints have put a hold on posting points since Jan 3 or 4th or whatever date.

Here are my most recent transactions
1)$700 worth Hallmark gift certs bought 12/31 posted Jan 3rd points redeemed and posted to AA dated 1/7/02

2) Dell desktop ordered 1/14/02 points posted
1/16/02 swept from account 1/20/02 to AA.
unit due to be shipped 1/30/02 credit card not yet charged.

They may putting hold on Valuemags transactions but by experience not much else.
Mike
Old Jan 21, 2002, 11:48 am

Programs: AA LT PLT, SPG Gold
where does it say that they have the right to put a hold on orders beginning on jan 4? that's bs!
Old Jan 21, 2002, 1:10 pm

Programs: , AA Plat 2MM, FB Gold, Hilton Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by broadwayblue:
where does it say that they have the right to put a hold on orders beginning on jan 4? that's bs!</font>

According to a Valuemags rep, goldpoints told them they were putting a hold on all large orders for 30 buisness days (6 weeks). This applies to both posting of large order and redemption for small orders that already posted if your account balance is large (over 1 million gps). On the other hand the Goldpoints CSR is telling me that my account is blocked till Feb 10, 30 days after Jan 10. Since I placed no valuemags orders after Dec 24, I asked him why 30 days from Jan 10, but the CSR didn't know.

I suspect goldpoints figured out that they are going to lose money in this promotion. In another thread Randy Peterson says a new VP is now in charge of goldpoints. This suggests that the previous VP was canned for allowing a money losing promotion to get this big and the new VP is trying to minimize goldpoint's losses by :

1. Reducing the points awarded to net purchase rather than gross purchase.

2. Delay postings/redemptions for as long as they can legally get away with it (6 weeks + a few more days according to their terms) and being vague about their reasons in the hope that people will cancel their valuemag orders and thus let goldpoints off the hook.

I think my best policy is to wait goldpoints out, since I have 60 days after my credit card statement date to contest charges.

[This message has been edited by ananthar (edited 01-21-2002).]

[This message has been edited by ananthar (edited 01-21-2002).]
Old Jan 21, 2002, 1:56 pm

and as i believe i read somewhere else, valuemags practically BEGGED not to dispute charges because they lose more money than just the cancellation. plus, too many chargebacks and the credit card companies are NOT pleased.

waiting them out sounds to be a pruident course of action.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.