weird posting of Goldpoints

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

weird posting of Goldpoints

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2002, 1:19 am
Suspended

Canadaflyer, I believe that Goldpoints batches all airline mile transfers and dumps them to the airlines every Thursday. So if you request it on a thursday morning, it will go to your airline that night, and may post as soon as the next morning (but more likely within a few days). My NW transfer that posted wrong posted within 4 days of the relevant Thursday(I admit I didnt check everyday, it could have been there in 1). So if you request on Friday, your batch won't go out until the following Thursday, thus it could take 8-12 days before posting, regardless of airline (this is as I understand it and have observed).

I think AA may still be doing year end cleanup as I have several since the 1st that haven't posted to AA.

Re the triple points, I emailed Goldpoints last Wednesday to get my points tripled on a couple orders, I did not get a reply email (don't think I asked for one) but the additional points posted today, so I would say they are working on about 4-5 day turnaround. I did go thru the "contact us" area of their site, I didn't email to a specific address (which if wrong might delay the process).

Please Do not put things in dispute with your credit card companies yet!!!!!!!! This creates a chargeback situation which the merchants (valuemags) gets charged a fee for. There is no need to do this yet, at least wait until day 29, at which time decide abort or continue, if you abort just tell valuemags to cancel, don't dispute it, this causes valuemags to lose money (more than just your order amount) due to the fees charged the merchants for disputes. If Valuemags gets whammed with all these disputes (when your real dispute is with goldpoints, not VM anyway!) for sure there will never again be such a promotion as VM won't be able to stay in business.

I believe GP will make good on the triple points, but you do have to give them time to get it all straightened out.
Old Jan 15, 2002, 4:50 am

Programs: AA - Lifetime Gold
I have to agree with the comments about waiting a bit longer. To me it appears that GP is taking care of things slowly but surely.

I received an email response to one of my complaints regarding incorrect credit for a valuemags order (150 v 450). It stated that the discrepency had been confirmed and that I was to received the difference. The GP points appeared the next day. That resolved one problem. The other is an order that has had no points posted but my credit card has been charged. I am going to wait the 30-day period for this plus missing points for Hickory Farms and Gift Certificate orders.

With regards to batching and AA... I requested a transfer for my wife's account of 20K GP to AA on January 4th. GP did the batch transfer on January 6th, the 5K points posted to my wife's AA account last night, Jan. 15.

In total, I'm still waiting for 225K GP points. That's a whole lotta AA points so I'm going to wait.
Old Jan 15, 2002, 4:52 am

Programs: AA - Lifetime Gold
For additional info...

I emailed and faxed GP during on or about 12/30 and again on 1/2 regarding the missing or incorrectly posted points. FYI...
Old Jan 15, 2002, 5:57 am

Data points:

I purchased ~$300 worth of magazines on 12/24, ~$120 worth of food from Hickory Farms a few days later. In both cases, I'd made the buy just before the triple miles offers were withdrawn, only the base points (no bonuses) were posted, and I contacted GP customer service.

On Friday (1/11), the triple miles bonuses for both purchases got posted.

One more instance where it appears that GP is getting to things slowly but eventually.

In general, we like to think of things as being black or white: a program is good or bad, a person is a hero or an evildoer, a bit is either 0 or 1. In practice, though, the choice is not always binary. GP gets bad marks for not anticipating the reactions to their offer and for withdrawing the offer with no notice. But GP gets good marks for wading through the problems and (apparently) doing the right thing in the fullness of time. I'd give particularly good marks to the GP customer support people, who have been extremely courteous on each occasion that I've dealt with them.
Old Jan 15, 2002, 8:56 am

Programs: AA LT PLT, SPG Gold
my first miles finally posted at AA. it was a hickory farms order that actually appeared on Goldpoints the day after i placed it (unlike my 2 valuemags and 1 hallmark orders.) anyway, i redeemed 14,000 points about 2 weeks ago and they just posted in my AA account today. they posted as 500, 500, and 500 under miles and 2,500 under bonus. i can't complain...i got 4,000 miles when i should have gotten 3,500. now if only my other orders would appear.
Old Jan 15, 2002, 4:22 pm

i have yet to receive my GPs from a purchase made on the 12/19. thus, the 30 day deadline is coming up quickly. i received a very prompt reply from shari at valuemags and she told me that it should be resolved in 5 business days (from today). five business days puts me past the 30-day deadline and i can then phone GP for a direct credit.

i have not, nor will i dispute my charges against my credit card unless i do not get my points after 35-40 days pass. that is reasonable amount of time. before that, i would hope that any credit card company would refuse a dispute. valuemags has been very considerate in all this.

oh, and i value my time very highly too.
Old Jan 15, 2002, 6:13 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by fireflyreaction:
i have not, nor will i dispute my charges against my credit card unless i do not get my points after 35-40 days pass. that is reasonable amount of time. before that, i would hope that any credit card company would refuse a dispute. valuemags has been very considerate in all this.

oh, and i value my time very highly too.
</font>
Didn't you already get a bunch of points at 450 per dollar before they started with the 30 day hold? Glad to see you're not disputing anything for now. I really believe it's counter productive (at this point in time) and unnecessary.

Old Jan 15, 2002, 10:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: HH Diamond, SPG Gold, PC Platinum Ambassador, Marriott Silver
Note also that the deadline is 30 business days.
Old Jan 16, 2002, 1:33 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Neal:
Didn't you already get a bunch of points at 450 per dollar before they started with the 30 day hold? Glad to see you're not disputing anything for now. I really believe it's counter productive (at this point in time) and unnecessary.

</font>
yeah i did..but i placed a second order too...ah well...i just want it resolved before i move to sydney and can't deal with it.

Old Jan 16, 2002, 6:57 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by cactuspete:
Note also that the deadline is 30 business days. </font>
Where did you see that? I could only see a reference to "30 days" in the FAQ.
Old Jan 16, 2002, 9:10 am
Suspended

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by dhacker:
Where did you see that? I could only see a reference to "30 days" in the FAQ.</font>
When you click on one of the GP shopping categories (for example "food" or "books"), it is at the bottom of the page.
Old Jan 16, 2002, 3:05 pm

Thanks. I guess that technically gives them six calendar weeks. I'm not sure I can be quite that patient, given that most point postings take only a few days.
Old Jan 16, 2002, 3:19 pm

yeah - if you ask me, it's incredibly stupid.

it's just a matter of entering a few numbers into a computer. what could possibly take so long? it's not like they're counting cereal certificates
Old Jan 16, 2002, 3:39 pm
Suspended

I am only guessing, but wouldn't you think that all of this would typicallly be done automatically and electronically? I just can't believe that there would typically be any manual input involved. So that leads me to believe that GP is intentionally holding up these postings. Curiously, my recent GP transactions (within the last week) have posted within a couple of days. Also, I have one transaction from 12/27 that GP says has been "credited" to my account but the points "won't be available" til the end of 30 days.
Old Jan 16, 2002, 3:41 pm

but then what was all this talk of "backlog"? do you think it was all smoke?

i'm inclined to agree with you cactuspete.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.