Reload this Page >

U.S. Travel Association's Daily Getaways 2016

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

U.S. Travel Association's Daily Getaways 2016

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2016, 2:58 am

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Avis Chairman’s Club Membership
Estimated Value: $2,000

Who are they kidding? Or is that in Zimbabwe dollars?
But they've been gobbled up in the past.
Old Apr 3, 2016, 3:06 am

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
(Redundant. Signal problem. Apologies.)
Old Apr 3, 2016, 4:31 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Firewind
But they've been gobbled up in the past.
It should make some ask why enough do to gobble those up so quickly. A lot of people spending $1115 for no reason? There has to have been something to it, at least in some past years.

$1115 for a 25-mile delivery service and upgrade to best available vehicle when booking even an intermediate car? There has to be something to it that helps enough people to more than get their money's worth out of it.

Last edited by GUWonder; Apr 3, 2016 at 4:37 am
Old Apr 3, 2016, 5:23 am
Suspended

Programs: All major programs
Originally Posted by GUWonder
It should make some ask why enough do to gobble those up so quickly. A lot of people spending $1115 for no reason? There has to have been something to it, at least in some past years.

$1115 for a 25-mile delivery service and upgrade to best available vehicle when booking even an intermediate car? There has to be something to it that helps enough people to more than get their money's worth out of it.
Blogs and herd mentality ...
Old Apr 3, 2016, 6:57 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by gv111
Blogs and herd mentality ...
I had given that a thought, but have come to realize that it can't explain all of this with regard to Avis Chairman.

$1115 of expenditure for a marginally better car rental experience? Blogs and herd mentality can't explain that. Some group/individuals must have learned how to max out the Avis Chairman benefits in order to rationalize such an expense. Keep in mind that the main blogs feed on marketing dreams on the cheap. $1115 isn't cheap if all you get is a marginally better car rental experience and only infrequently rent cars.

Fools and their money are soon separated, but these deals aren't selling out because the blog herd is full of fools wanting to flush good money down the toilet.
Old Apr 3, 2016, 8:09 am

I left it at that sentence because it mystified me, too. But it was true. I figured the explanation lies in the market appeal for it, day in and day out, outside of Daily Getaways. I've always been happy with regular old Avis elite levels.
Old Apr 3, 2016, 8:17 am

Programs: AA Plat, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriot Gold
I left it at that sentence because it mystified me, too. But it was true. I figured the explanation lies in the market appeal for it, day in and day out, outside of Daily Getaways. I've always been happy with regular old Avis elite levels.
I had to admit my curiosity peaked as well and read the description and can't figure out why I would ever need this service. Granted, I barely rent cars but I'm just as fine getting on the bus to take me to the rental stand than wasting $1115 to have someone meet me at the airport. I can see perhaps if you are a very frequent traveler and rent every week for work where this may save time and hassle. but for me $1k will get me alot of better things!!
Old Apr 3, 2016, 8:31 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by miadukes
I had to admit my curiosity peaked as well and read the description and can't figure out why I would ever need this service. Granted, I barely rent cars but I'm just as fine getting on the bus to take me to the rental stand than wasting $1115 to have someone meet me at the airport. I can see perhaps if you are a very frequent traveler and rent every week for work where this may save time and hassle. but for me $1k will get me alot of better things!!
If the upgrade includes upgrades to large SUVs and minivans, especially during peak ski season but also otherwise, I could easily see getting some of my money's worth out of it.

I do have to wonder if that 25-mile free delivery and drop off service includes cross-border car deliveries and/or retrievals.

I may have to find some Avis Chairman elites to find out what they've pulled off in the EU/EEA and in say some very large US metro areas.

Maybe part of the appeal is avoiding the airport facility surcharges? Maybe avoiding tolls? There has to be some money to be saved out of it for people to pay for it like this.

Firewind, thanks for bringing this up -- even more so if it makes financial sense for me to try to grab the Avis deal.

Last edited by GUWonder; Apr 3, 2016 at 8:36 am
Old Apr 3, 2016, 9:05 am

One more factor was that (I think) there were a very few on offer. But we are trying to figure out the appeal to anyone ... Come to think of it, I once worked for a CEO who would have wanted it, just because it was there.
Old Apr 3, 2016, 9:45 am

Programs: AA Plat, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriot Gold
One more factor was that (I think) there were a very few on offer. But we are trying to figure out the appeal to anyone ... Come to think of it, I once worked for a CEO who would have wanted it, just because it was there.
I guess when you have money to spend it doesnt really matter on what! lol
Old Apr 3, 2016, 10:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
The people buying these are people who do no research, don't think, and just take the company's valuation as realistic.

As far as I know, nobody can actually buy Avis Chairman's Club for $2,000. It's normally an invitation-only level, and that's just the bloated unrealistic value they attach to it so they can catch fools with more dollars than sense.

Last edited by mahasamatman; Apr 3, 2016 at 4:26 pm Reason: Wrong number
Old Apr 3, 2016, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
I don't see any expiration on these. Does anyone have experience with these credits?
You can put one certificate in on the website, you can use up to three on a rental (but have to call in to do that).

Alamo often has a 1k AA miles bonus and 1800 WN point bonus on three-day rentals. At the right time of year, this means the car's pretty cheap.
Old Apr 3, 2016, 3:02 pm
Suspended

Red face

The people buying these are people who do no research, don't think, and just take the company's valuation as realistic.

As far as I know, nobody can actually buy Avis Chairman's Club for $1,115. It's normally an invitation-only level, and that's just the bloated unrealistic value they attach to it so they can catch fools with more dollars than sense.
The bloated estimated value for that is listed as an estimated $2000? The sales price for the package is $1,115, so someone will be able to buy it -- bloated up as the deal's sale price may be.
Old Apr 3, 2016, 3:59 pm

I do have to wonder if that 25-mile free delivery and drop off service includes cross-border car deliveries and/or retrievals.

I may have to find some Avis Chairman elites to find out what they've pulled off in the EU/EEA and in say some very large US metro areas.

Maybe part of the appeal is avoiding the airport facility surcharges? Maybe avoiding tolls? There has to be some money to be saved out of it for people to pay for it like this...
Or maybe, e.g., even downtown SF or Oakland on a SFO rental. Let's see, how far is Napa? But seriously, if I want to be picked up, I'll rent from Enterprise.
Old Apr 3, 2016, 4:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
The bloated estimated value for that is listed as an estimated $2000?
Sorry, it's the $2,000 estimate I questioned way back in post #73, and that's what I meant to type. I'll edit my post. Thanks.

The point is that they say it's worth $2,000 so people who don't know better think $1,115 is a deal. It's like people who value their international award trips based on full-fare, or hotel awards based on full rack rate.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.