U.S. Travel Association's Daily Getaways 2016

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

U.S. Travel Association's Daily Getaways 2016

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2016, 4:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by yuel
looks like all the usual will be available
Yawwwwn.
Old Mar 28, 2016, 5:46 pm

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
And also for anything that a particular program's points or miles can "buy".
Old Mar 28, 2016, 6:20 pm

Programs: AA, UA, DL, AS, LH, BA, VS, HHonors, Hyatt, Club Carlson, IHG, Marriott
Please don't buy any of the Sea World packages.
Old Mar 28, 2016, 6:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by MVF Trekker
Please don't buy any of the Sea World packages.
You want them all for yourself?
Old Mar 28, 2016, 6:46 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
It seems like the displayed 2016 Wyndham offer isn't as great a value as it has been for me before, but it's good enough that I may take it anyway.

I'm still picking up Choice and Best Western points.

But I'm not as interested in buying as many Choice points as I used to buy, mainly because I don't want to be hit by a massive points devaluation that I have been expecting (but with a timing that is off) with Choice,
Old Mar 28, 2016, 7:29 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriot Gold
Originally Posted by GUWonder
It seems like the displayed 2016 Wyndham offer isn't as great a value as it has been for me before, but it's good enough that I may take it anyway.

I'm still picking up Choice and Best Western points.

But I'm not as interested in buying as many Choice points as I used to buy, mainly because I don't want to be hit by a massive points devaluation that I have been expecting (but with a timing that is off) with Choice,

I'm really curious as to your opinion on the choice devaluation, do you think something more is happening this year? I kind of wanted to stock up on those and can't really see how the hotels'd I'd use it at would change much but who knows.
Old Mar 28, 2016, 8:28 pm

Programs: AA, UA, DL, AS, LH, BA, VS, HHonors, Hyatt, Club Carlson, IHG, Marriott
Originally Posted by hailstorm
You want them all for yourself?
I'm hoping people will come to their senses and not patronize their business. The link says it all.
Old Mar 28, 2016, 8:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Silver, MR titanium
Originally Posted by ramlax13
Can the Choice points only be used in the US? Planning a trip to europe next year, definitely some good deals in europe if I can grab those points and use over there. Anyone have any past experience?
I use 95% of my points internationally, great value in europe
Old Mar 28, 2016, 10:22 pm

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
Originally Posted by miadukes
I'm really curious as to your opinion on the choice devaluation, do you think something more is happening this year? I kind of wanted to stock up on those and can't really see how the hotels'd I'd use it at would change much but who knows.
Hi miadukes. Not speaking for GUWonder -- but as I see it, the the just-introduced bifurcation of award points required for weeknights vs. weekends (layered on the seasonal variability) being discussed on the Choice board here, in which FTers notice that the changes are to increase the weekend points requirement rather than to decrease the weeknight requirement, looks at this point to be "the camel's nose under the tent".
Old Mar 29, 2016, 3:15 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by miadukes
The program has been getting more "innovative" -- including in the way mentioned by Firewind -- in the past year or two. To me that has been an indication that the values I got out of the Choice program before may be subject to "innovation" as Choice reviews and adjusts the program in ways that are more likely to include a devaluation of my still rather large balance of Choice points than to lead to an appreciation in value of those same points. When that will happen is to be seen, and I could be entirely off on this.

But I wouldn't spend a lot more of my own money to keep a lot of points in a Choice account when, at a future time to my liking (even late this year), I can use even a small balance to buy Choice points via the book cash+points & cancel game. If you have as few as 6k points, this can be done without locking up money (in a Choice account) for a long time and hoping not to get hit by a rather sudden devaluation of Choice points when you have a relatively large Choice account balance.

In other words, I would be more open to buying a single package to use for the cash+points & refund game than to spend $500+ on these Daily Getaway Choice package sales in anticipation of using the points next year (or even in the last quarter of this year). Most Choice customers can not book Choice award nights more than 30-60 days in advance. And more and more Choice properties outside of the US are cutting back on the proportion of their rooms that they make available for redemption.

Will I be buying some of these packages for others? Yes, but I am no longer eager to see my family and friends pick up the maximum amounts of points this way. A maximum advance booking window of 30-60 days when using points makes hoarding points for some peak vacation period redemption several months or a year out look increasingly like a gamble that won't pay off like it used to do.

Last edited by GUWonder; Mar 29, 2016 at 3:24 am
Old Mar 29, 2016, 5:41 am

Programs: AA Plat, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriot Gold
Originally Posted by Firewind
Hi miadukes. Not speaking for GUWonder -- but as I see it, the the just-introduced bifurcation of award points required for weeknights vs. weekends (layered on the seasonal variability) being discussed on the Choice board here, in which FTers notice that the changes are to increase the weekend points requirement rather than to decrease the weeknight requirement, looks at this point to be "the camel's nose under the tent".
Yes I have been keeping up on that thread and I agree about the random choices of points per night, it did seem like a new way to spin, hey we are screwing some nights but isnt it wonderful that other nights stay the same.

Originally Posted by GUWonder
The program has been getting more "innovative" -- including in the way mentioned by Firewind -- in the past year or two. To me that has been an indication that the values I got out of the Choice program before may be subject to "innovation" as Choice reviews and adjusts the program in ways that are more likely to include a devaluation of my still rather large balance of Choice points than to lead to an appreciation in value of those same points. When that will happen is to be seen, and I could be entirely off on this.

But I wouldn't spend a lot more of my own money to keep a lot of points in a Choice account when, at a future time to my liking (even late this year), I can use even a small balance to buy Choice points via the book cash+points & cancel game. If you have as few as 6k points, this can be done without locking up money (in a Choice account) for a long time and hoping not to get hit by a rather sudden devaluation of Choice points when you have a relatively large Choice account balance.

In other words, I would be more open to buying a single package to use for the cash+points & refund game than to spend $500+ on these Daily Getaway Choice package sales in anticipation of using the points next year (or even in the last quarter of this year). Most Choice customers can not book Choice award nights more than 30-60 days in advance. And more and more Choice properties outside of the US are cutting back on the proportion of their rooms that they make available for redemption.

Will I be buying some of these packages for others? Yes, but I am no longer eager to see my family and friends pick up the maximum amounts of points this way. A maximum advance booking window of 30-60 days when using points makes hoarding points for some peak vacation period redemption several months or a year out look increasingly like a gamble that won't pay off like it used to do.
Ok thanks. You made me think about this a little more. I want to spend about $500 on points solely because where we stay in orlando is a minimum points hotel and out of 584 dollars spent on these points i would able to get 18-24 nights out of that hotel which seemed like a steal. I don't foresee what place going up so figured it was a pretty safe bet for a little bit.

Anyway who knows maybe its crazy this year and I wont be able to get that many points.

ETA: But I do agree that the booking window is really ridiculous, as it stands you cant even book for summer travel
Old Mar 29, 2016, 9:22 am
Suspended

Does anyone have an idea of when the preview of the remaining three weeks will be shown?
Old Mar 29, 2016, 12:07 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Sixt Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Avis First, Caesars TR Diamond, Mlife Gold
For using Choice points for Preferred Group properties, do the 30/60/90 day rules apply?
Old Mar 29, 2016, 12:33 pm

Programs: M&M SEN (*G), HH Diamond
Originally Posted by BenSenise
Does anyone have an idea of when the preview of the remaining three weeks will be shown?
Last year we got: 10 days before the start: preview for weeks 1 to 3, then 10 days later: preview for weeks 4 to 5.

My guess would be that we will see weeks 3 to 5 once the first deal goes live.
Old Mar 29, 2016, 1:12 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by goliath
Last year we got: 10 days before the start: preview for weeks 1 to 3, then 10 days later: preview for weeks 4 to 5.

My guess would be that we will see weeks 3 to 5 once the first deal goes live.
thanks for that

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.