Programs: AA Plat, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriot Gold
Originally Posted by goliath
My purchases last year posted after:

Choice: 6...8 days
IHG: 2 days
Club Carlson: 2 days
Hilton: 6 days
Hyatt: 3 days
Just realized no club carlson this year.
Old Apr 1, 2016, 6:02 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by DealAddict
I understand that with cash+points, you are paying $7.50 per 1,000 pts. This is not as good the Daily Getaway Deals, where you are paying $ 4 per 1000 pts.
The up-front price per points are indeed substantially different. But the Daily Getaway deals to buy these Choice points may be a good deal or it may not be.

This Daily Getaway deal can quite easily end up being a worse deal (than the 6k points + cash approach) when redemption space availability doesn't work out or -- worse yet -- the customer gets nailed harder by a devaluation hit on a very large hoard of Choice points because of the failure to act on the notion that maintaining cash (longer than points) is king in a world where the hotel "loyalty" program may be quick to adjust the redemption pricing without even providing advance notice about price changes with the transparency level required to be respectful of its customers sitting on large stashes of points.

And given its customer base, Choice may really not care too much about pulling some kind of customer-unfriendly shenanigans with its redemption pricing in an era of "innovation" and "enhancement" meant to maximize the unit's profitability. In prior years, the Daily Getaway thing has been a very good deal for many. It won't be as good for as many as it has been to some of us in prior years.

I still find Choice points very valuable, but I'm not as interesting in buying a lot more Choice points to hoard in the hopes of redeeming them in the summer of 2017 at the current price in points. Choice is on a faster and more extensive path of "innovation" and "enhancement" in a way that it has not been for as long as I've been a Choice customer.

"Buyer, beware", that's what I'm saying.

Last edited by GUWonder; Apr 1, 2016 at 6:08 am
Old Apr 1, 2016, 8:58 am

Programs: AA Plat Pto, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Alamo $50 are back, limit 3 per purchase! ^

I'd love some Choice or Hyatt but have realistic expectations.
Old Apr 1, 2016, 10:33 am

Programs: AA, UA, DL, AS, LH, BA, VS, HHonors, Hyatt, Club Carlson, IHG, Marriott
100K Hilton points for $500
Almost the same as what Hilton is currently offering to purchase points:
90K Hilton points for $500
99K Hilton points for $550
Old Apr 1, 2016, 12:38 pm

Programs: M&M SEN (*G), HH Diamond
I guess, it depends on what "almost the same" is to you. I will take the 10% discount with Daily Getaways anytime over the purchase through HH directly.

Buy max. 144k at 0.556 cents a point today from HH directly or max. 500k at 0.5 cents a point at Daily Getaways in three weeks? Buying now from HH directly will also max out your allowance for this year and if HH offers points with 100% bonus (i.e. at 0.5 cents) again later this year, you won't be able to buy anymore.

That should be an easy decision.
Old Apr 1, 2016, 1:20 pm

Originally Posted by goliath
The wording has not changed from previous years. Once the points are in your account, you can do whatever you like with them.
Thanks. I did not recall the wording from last year. good luck to all!
Old Apr 1, 2016, 3:58 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by MVF Trekker
100K Hilton points for $500
Almost the same as what Hilton is currently offering to purchase points:
90K Hilton points for $500
99K Hilton points for $550
75k Hilton points can be currently had with a $0 fee credit card as long as you spend $1000 on it in the allotted time.
Old Apr 1, 2016, 9:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by GUWonder
75k Hilton points can be currently had with a $0 fee credit card as long as you spend $1000 on it in the allotted time.
You forgot the part about having to apply for the card and get approved.
Old Apr 2, 2016, 4:38 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
You forgot the part about having to apply for the card and get approved.
Most people here probably know that kind of stuff; just like most people here know that the Hilton Daily Getaways packages aren't much of a deal for them if they can't manage to buy them.
Old Apr 2, 2016, 8:37 am

The main issue for the choice programme. Is the 60 days window to book. So its pretty hard to adjust given the devaluation should it occur
Old Apr 2, 2016, 9:35 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by tboons
The main issue for the choice programme. Is the 60 days window to book. So its pretty hard to adjust given the devaluation should it occur
Indeed. So even if Choice provided 60-180 days advance notice of a devaluation, it may not do most customers that much good since most customers can only book within 30-60 days.
Old Apr 2, 2016, 9:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by Exiled in Express
Alamo $50 are back
I don't see any expiration on these. Does anyone have experience with these credits?
Old Apr 2, 2016, 10:40 am
Suspended

Programs: All major programs
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Indeed. So even if Choice provided 60-180 days advance notice of a devaluation, it may not do most customers that much good since most customers can only book within 30-60 days.
Choice program is kind of hard to understand and redeem. For this reason, it is not worth the trouble to me. I will just book cash.
Old Apr 2, 2016, 11:00 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by gv111
Choice program is kind of hard to understand and redeem. For this reason, it is not worth the trouble to me. I will just book cash.
If I were in the game to buy points to use for stays in parts of Europe in April-June this year, then I'd not rule them out as not being worth the trouble. But I have more flexibility in my schedule than many, and I also have already invested in knowing how this program works and doesn't.

I like to know what I am buying, if only so I don't come out feeling like I'm a fool who got played. Maybe one day Choice will eliminate the 30/60 booking window rule, but they have this restriction now and have had it for years and years and years.
Old Apr 2, 2016, 4:09 pm

When was the last large-scale devaluation for Choice or did they just devalue some hotels randomly? I see there are still some hotels that are outstanding values, but I am a bit worried they will just up the redemption rate in the next few months

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.